Thread: Quad core owners - Help me with something please :)

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quad core owners - Help me with something please :)

Since I've had this Q6600, I have had silly high temps. I have been trying to get to the bottom of whats causing them, without much success, but I have a suspicion that its the top of the IHS that isnt flat.

Would anyone with a quad CPU be kind enough to fit the stock intel cooler that came with it, and set 2 x orthos, or 4 x sp2004, or 1x OCCT, at stock settings and tell me what temps they get after say an hour.

I'm averaging around 69-70c in a fairly cold room which is 20c.

On the intel site, it says 62.2c max, then goes on to say something about that temp being measured in the geometric centre of the top of the IHS, so I'm not really sure what is acceptable.

70c seems way too hot for a stock CPU.

Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    Just started runing this on a machine with a QX6700. However, have noticed that speedfan and coretemp have a 15c discrepancy. Don't know if has something to with the "TJunction", whatever the heck that is?:

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com...owitworks.html

Note it can be 100 or 85c - coretemp tells me it is using 100c, speedfan doesn't say?
    _ _ _
    Vroomy

Thanks
    Yes, I measure the temps with coretemp, thats what I've used since I got it

What I'm after, is someone to put on the stock cooler for an hour and tell me their load temps using the methods I mentioned above, and also tell me their ambient room temps.

Would you be able to do that for me please?
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    Ok, here we go:

It only has stock cooler on anyway.

Room temp ~20c (air con in room).

Idle Temp - 65-67c (coretemp)

4xsp2004, 1hr20mins.

Temp during test - 78-82c (was this pretty much from start and stayed in this range).
    _ _ _
    Vroomy

Thanks
    Thanks

Is that at stock volts and stock fsb?

If it is, either yours is even more concave than mine, or your heatsink isnt on properly!
    stupid betond belief.

Thanks
    TJunction is a theoretical maximum temperature figure and it pretty much equates to the maximum throttle/shutdown temperature of the CPU in question. IT is 85C for most Core2Duo's and 100C (I think) for Quads.

The Tmax figure on the Intel website is the maximum casing temperature that should be reached in a hot room. It is not the same as the maximum core temperature (about 20C lower for Core2Duo's).

Intel CPUs run hot. Your Q6600 is effectively two E6600 cores squished together onto one LGA775 tablet. If you would expect an E6600 to max out at about 50C under your cooling system then you can expect a Q6600 to max out at way over that. My Xeon 3210 maxes out at 68C under full load with a PA120.2/Laing 18W/D-Tek FuZion for just the CPU and a second loop for the chipset cooling. Graphics are still air-cooled.

I've never had an AMD CPU so I've become very used to high CPU temperatures. Intel CPUs don't really care about high temperatures and if they overheat they throttle back then shut down. If you are concerned about shut-downs then keep TM1 and/or TM2 enabled in the BIOS as this will allow tidy shutdowns at the OS level.

One other thing that may have inadvertently happened is that you may have dished the IHS yourself with the stock Intel cooler. The stock cooler does not have a square base, it is round and covers only the centre-circle of the IHS. When you fasten it down properly tight, it squeezes the circular copper centre down HARD onto the middle of the IHS and I am pretty convinced that most 'dished' IHS Core CPUs have been previously used with the stock heat sink and fan. If you look at a CPU after the stock HSF have been used, there is a definite mark where it has been in contact.

It's maybe not what you want to hear, but you may have to live with the high temps, or maybe you'll need to lap the IHS (rather you than me on a newish £350 CPU).

Thanks
    Yes it was at stock volts and fsb. It's actually one of four identical prebuilt pc's we have here at work and fortunately they all have a 5 year onsite warranty so if there is a problem with the heatsink seating and overheating I'm not too bothered . However, I think I might check the other 3 to see if there is a big difference between them and log a call if there is.

From what wja96 says it seems your temps are probably not unusual. Mine maybe are, slightly.
    _ _ _
    Vroomy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wja96 View Post
    TJunction is a theoretical maximum temperature figure and it pretty much equates to the maximum throttle/shutdown temperature of the CPU in question. IT is 85C for most Core2Duo's and 100C (I think) for Quads.

The Tmax figure on the Intel website is the maximum casing temperature that should be reached in a hot room. It is not the same as the maximum core temperature (about 20C lower for Core2Duo's).

Intel CPUs run hot. Your Q6600 is effectively two E6600 cores squished together onto one LGA775 tablet. If you would expect an E6600 to max out at about 50C under your cooling system then you can expect a Q6600 to max out at way over that. My Xeon 3210 maxes out at 68C under full load with a PA120.2/Laing 18W/D-Tek FuZion for just the CPU and a second loop for the chipset cooling. Graphics are still air-cooled.

I've never had an AMD CPU so I've become very used to high CPU temperatures. Intel CPUs don't really care about high temperatures and if they overheat they throttle back then shut down. If you are concerned about shut-downs then keep TM1 and/or TM2 enabled in the BIOS as this will allow tidy shutdowns at the OS level.

One other thing that may have inadvertently happened is that you may have dished the IHS yourself with the stock Intel cooler. The stock cooler does not have a square base, it is round and covers only the centre-circle of the IHS. When you fasten it down properly tight, it squeezes the circular copper centre down HARD onto the middle of the IHS and I am pretty convinced that most 'dished' IHS Core CPUs have been previously used with the stock heat sink and fan. If you look at a CPU after the stock HSF have been used, there is a definite mark where it has been in contact.

It's maybe not what you want to hear, but you may have to live with the high temps, or maybe you'll need to lap the IHS (rather you than me on a newish £350 CPU).
    Thanks, I think we have crossed wires a bit here

Normally I use watercooling (see the "my computer" bit), but even with monster cooling, I've still had ridiculous temps that arent inline with other people.

So, last night, I decided to try the stock intel cooler that came with it.

It isnt the same as the normal intel cooler, the copper base is much much wider. I have one with anarrower base, but it certainly isnt convex or bowed, its just the copper base is smaller, but no enough to squash the IHS as the tension from the clips isnt enough.

Ive been messing around, attatching the D-Tek block with the board out of the case, and Ive noticed that the thermal paste never ever squashes flat, its as if there is around 40% of the cpu not sitting flat on the waterblock, and i think that this is my problem, and this is why i am asking if anyone can run their quad core cpu at stock for an hour on the stock cooler and tell me their room temps and load temps....it geives me something to work from
    stupid betond belief.

Thread Information