Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E6850 or Q6600?

Registered+
    Thanks

Cool E6850 or Q6600?

Hey Guys, What happening? I was thrown off my chair when I saw the news from Intel’s new processors. I guess I can get a lot more power for my bucks. But I am being faced with a really hard problem. After read around a lot of News On Intel’s New Processors (Dual and Quad), I have a really hard choice to make. I am building a new system. Just to point out I am going to get a processor now and if I see good things from 45-nm, I will buy that when it comes out. I am also waiting for Intel’s upcoming X38 Chipset. The processor I get now (Dual or Quad or 45nm Processor) I want them to work with my new X38 Chipset. So I just wanted to give you guys my choice of my Chipset.

Now my problem is What Processor I should get now? The choices I have are:

The New Intel Core 2 Duo (E6850) (3.0Ghz) (FSB – 1333) (L2 – 4MB) (Price $266)

Or

The New Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) (2.40Ghz) (FSB – 1066) (L2 – 4MBx2) (Price $266)

I am not a hard-core gamer. I play games here and there. I do a lot of burning DVD’S, Music, Photoshop and the usual computer stuff. I know I have read that Quad is good for 3D Stuff and Encoding and The Dual- Core (E6850) is good for Gaming. I just wanted your guys opinion on which way I should go. I biggest problem with Quad-Core (Q6600) is that not a lot of applications are out there that will take advantage of my extra cores. But Since the Price is the same for E6850 and Q6600 ($266), I really need your guys help.

So if you guys can help me out with this problem and I let me know if these processors will work with the upcoming X38 Chipset, it would really help me out. I will by 45nm when it comes out for my New X38 Motherboard Intel or Asus Baby!

THX Guys!

P.S. Fusion

Thanks
    these will work with p35s upwards, but not too sure about i965 chipset.

i personally am going to get the q6600 and (easily) overclock it to 3.0ghz. even if i dont get to 3ghz (unlikely, but possible), ill still be happy with so much processing power, and as i understand it, things are only going to get more multithreaded, rather than less, so more cores is good for me.
    Intel q6600 3.6ghz
    Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi
    4Gb OCZ ReaperX at 1000Mhz
    768Mb BFG 8800GTX
    2xWD1001FALS in RAID0
    Dtek Fuzion / 2xPA120.2 / DDC01Ultra+PetrasTech top / EK 8800GTX FC Block
    Audigy 2ZS
    Thermaltake Mozart TX

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    It appears that if your apps use quad then that's the way to go. What uses quad? Well anything that needs serious 3d processing power. That doesn't include most games at the moment. There's a good comparison over on Anandtech IIRC.

Thanks
    • Phil_P's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35-DS4
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 2 x WD 1TB in RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte 7600GS
      • PSU:
      • Etasis 750W
      • Operating System:
      • RHEL5/RHEL6
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 226BW 22" panel
      • Internet:
      • F2S 8mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by vegettoxp View Post
    I am not a hard-core gamer. I play games here and there. I do a lot of burning DVD’S, Music, Photoshop and the usual computer stuff. I know I have read that Quad is good for 3D Stuff and Encoding and The Dual- Core (E6850) is good for Gaming. I just wanted your guys opinion on which way I should go. I biggest problem with Quad-Core (Q6600) is that not a lot of applications are out there that will take advantage of my extra cores. But Since the Price is the same for E6850 and Q6600 ($266), I really need your guys help.
    That's about right. Photoshop will love the Quad core btw. It really boils down to whether you want the extra performance in gaming or Photoshop.

Personally, if you're not a hard core gamer, I'd go with the quad core as it's likely that more applications over time will take advantage.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Even games are starting to take multithreaded engine design seriously these days. It only makes sense to shift intensive jobs to individual threads on their own core (if possible).
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • EarlGrey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z77-Extreme6
      • CPU:
      • 3570K @ 4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD + 2TB + 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 980 Ti
      • PSU:
      • 600 OCZ Stealthstream
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC7-S
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 120Hz 3D Vision
      • Internet:
      • Infinity
    If you want to overclock, then you will get more out of a dual core, because the limitation is heat, and quads will double your heat output (not temps mind, heat output) meaning you can get to a higher clock speed with a dual core.

That said, if you don't game much, there isn't much else that will benefit from a higher clocked dual core. Other than games those programs that need processing speed tend to be well threaded and perfect for quad cores.

I have been debating the same thing recently, and have decided to get the Gigabyte P35 board with DDR2 and DDR3 slots, throwing in a 6850 (or maybe even a 6750 if it's much cheaper) and getting the highest clock I can out of it, which will give a much better experience in games at the moment and at least for the next year imo.

Good luck with whichever route you go!

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall
    I think you will need a decent motherboard to clock these new dual cores very high.

I'd personally go for the quad core now. More and more games and general programs will start using them so it's probably worth it.

Seems like such a breif affair that we've had with decent dual cores lol

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hey Guys, thx for all you help. I have been thinking and I am leaning more and more towards the E6850, because I don't plan to keep that processor for long. I am planning to get the 45nm next year. I would like to have the quad-core, but I don't think I have many applications that would take advantage of my extra cores. Hopefully when Intel releases 45nm next year, I will get a Quad-Core with better FSB and hopefully more Clock Speed.

So would you guys recommend me getting the E6850, if I don't plan to keep the processor for too long. Thats one of the reason I am waiting for the X38 Chipset. Later next year I am gona upgrade my processor to 45nm.

After reading your guys comments I am getting more and more interested in Quad-Core!

Once again, Thx for all the input guys!

P.S. Fusion

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well guys after talking with my friends and thinking for 8 hours at work, I have made my decision, I am gona go with the Quad-Core Q6600 Processor and That my Final Choice. I will later next year or so will upgrade to the New 45-nm Processors. Now it time to do some Hard-Core Reviews on the Q6600 Model. Thx for all the help guys.

P.S. Fusion

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hey Guys, I have started to do reviews on the Q6600, So I am guessing I am gona go with the Q6600 After all. I just had few questions:

1) Can I get the Q6600 now (Of course after Price Cut)?

2) When I order it on-line, do I need to look for something regarding this processor (Stepping I guess or something else). Or do I just order the Q6600 Period?

3) Will this processor work when I get the X38 Chipset based Motherboards Intel or Asus? (Because I plan to get the 45nm based Quad-Core Next year or so)

Thx for all the help guys!

P.S. Fusion

Thanks
    • Nemz0r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • i7 3570k @ 4.5 GHz (+0.2V) w/ ThermalRight Ultima-90i (modified to fit S1155 with a hammer...)
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB (4x 4GiB) Samsung PC3-10700 (1333) @ PC3-16000 (2000) 9-14-14-36 1.55v
      • Storage:
      • 1x 500 GB Crucial MX200; 1x 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11; 1x 500 GB Samsung Spinpoint T166
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon R9 290 4GiB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860 80Plus Platinum
      • Case:
      • Antec P180B
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Dell P2715Q
      • Internet:
      • ICUK ADSL2+ ~4 Mbps (sadface)
    Hey Guys, I have started to do reviews on the Q6600, So I am guessing I am gona go with the Q6600 After all. I just had few questions:

1) Can I get the Q6600 now (Of course after Price Cut)?

2) When I order it on-line, do I need to look for something regarding this processor (Stepping I guess or something else). Or do I just order the Q6600 Period?

3) Will this processor work when I get the X38 Chipset based Motherboards Intel or Asus? (Because I plan to get the 45nm based Quad-Core Next year or so)

Thx for all the help guys!

P.S. Fusion
    1) Yes

2) If you're located in the USA you can preorder a G0 stepping: Tank Guys Computer Parts. However initial reports (don't have link to hand i'm afraid) are showing that the retail G0s don't overclock any better than the older B3 stepping, dispite initial good reports from ES chips, but they do run a little cooler no matter how well they overclock.

3) Yes, the P35 and X35 both will support current 65nm chips and the upcoming 45nm penryn chips.
    Last edited by Nemz0r; 19-07-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hey Guys, Now that I have decided that I am gona go with the Q6600, I need help in the Air Cooling area. I might or might now overclock, but I need to have the best Air cooling out there. So for the people who have Air cooling on there Q6600 or if you guys have good recommendations, Please share those with me. I am using a Cooler-Master Air cooling for my old system.

So if you guys can give me your opinions on Good Air Cooling, It would really help me out and my Q6600 Processor!

My Case is the Cooler-Master Stacker 830!

P.S. Fusion!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hey Guys, The reviews I am doing on the Q6600, will they be good reviews. The reason I ask this is because I have been hearing that the New Q6600 will have the G0 Stepping? And if you don't mind, can you please explain what is this G0 Steeping?

THX!

P.S. Fusion

Registered+
    Thanks
    Ok Guys I have narrowed my selection on which Air Cooling I want. Of the Three, Which one would you guys Recommend For my Q6600. Also I was wonder will I be able to use this Air Cooling when I get my 45nm Quad-Core?

Here is my Selections:

Thermaltake V1 - CL-P0401 (Good)

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme (Good)

Tuniq Tower 120-LFB (Good)

Which One?

THx Alot guys!

P.S. Fusion

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme (Good)

Hands down.. Just make sure there's enough room in your case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • Queelis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32 GB 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 512 GB, Toshiba E300 3TB, WD Green 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce RTX 2060 Super
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet PurePower 10 600W
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Silent Base 601
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Gbit
    Hey Guys, The reviews I am doing on the Q6600, will they be good reviews. The reason I ask this is because I have been hearing that the New Q6600 will have the G0 Stepping? And if you don't mind, can you please explain what is this G0 Steeping?

THX!

P.S. Fusion
    A stepping is a small revision of the processor, some minor adjustments of the die itself, which may help the processor run cooler, reach higher clock speeds and so on. The newer, the better of course.

Thread Information