Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 2 pc's - upgrade advice please

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Deepest,Darkest Essex,so BEWARE!
    4 times in 3 posts
    • Grimley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4570S
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
      • Storage:
      • WD Red 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 2GB 7850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic G550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone LC17 silver
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Evaluation
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • BT (better than Talk Talk)

    2 pc's - upgrade advice please

    Thought I'd post here, everyone here seems to give pretty good advice.

    I have 2 rigs, 1 for Gaming & Hi-def content, 1 for general use (& back up gaming rig).
    Specs as follows

    Gaming rig.

    ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.
    2Gb CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400.
    Artic cooling freezer 7 Pro
    250 Gb Western Digital Hard Drive.
    Corsair HX520 Power Supply.
    512MB MSI 8600GTS (deeply disappointed by this card, its less powerful than the card below & its not quiet either, only bought it for the HDMI interface so I flogging it & getting another card instead)
    Sony/NEC Optiarc DVD Writer
    Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Silver Case. (possible upgrade?)

    My TV (Toshiba 27WL56) doubles as a computer monitor for the Gaming rig.

    General use rig.
    Silverstone TJ08 Silver Micro ATX Case.
    AMD Athlon 64x2 4600+ Socket 939 Dual Core CPU. (going in dads rig)
    430w Seasonic S12-430 Power Supply.
    512MB MSI 7900GTO, PCI-E (x16) Graphics Card.
    250 Gb Western Digital Hard Drive.
    Asus A8M-VM CSM MBP mobo (selling)
    1 gig PC3200 DDR RAM. (going in dads rig too)
    Sony/NEC Optiarc DVD Writer

    Have already bought 2gig Crucial ballistix for the next set of upgrades, probably one upgrade b4 xmas & 1 after

    Gonna rebuild the Gaming rig completely (quietness is the issue in this one)

    New case – Antec solo or P180/182
    New mobo – owned a few of these now for about 4 years now – no problems at all (opinions) need a spdif or toslink output on it though (& DTS if poss)
    Optical – getting the LG Hi-def drive now out LG GGW-H20L
    Keep the E6600 in there, or go for the Q6600, or wait for the Penryn range to be extended (opinions again) or go back to AMD (Phenom or 5000 black edition?)
    Graphics – been an nvidia man since 2001, but these Ati 3800 cards look a better bet as the rig will primarily be used for HD & less for gaming – looking at the Powercolor 3850xtreme with the integrated HDMI again. (opinions again) unless Nvidia have something identical for the same money or in the pipeline
    Soundcard, not sure on this one. My amp has a 6.1 or 7.1 input & I want to input 7.1 HD sound into it, or just leave it & use the spdif/optical
    I want a quieter cooler than the Artic, thought about the Zalman 9700, don’t want a cooler that’s a pig to fit (like the artic was) or stupidly massive (like the tuinq tower) opinions again

    General use (& back up gaming rig)

    I want to try O/C, thinking about getting an E2180 if the E6600 is staying put in rig 1. My only concern is the issue of heat in the TJ08 despite the fact it has 120mm fans front & back – it gets a bit toasty in the top of this case!

    I would like a Asus board again but I’m of the opinion that Matx boards arent good for O/C – want 3gig stable if poss out of the E2180 – if you advise against it the E6600 will go in this one instead & it will run at stock.

    Want this rig to take the gaming/hidef rig CPU at some point in the future too.

    Please note I have 2 pcs because both my Nephews when they come round want to play different games at the same time & tantrums occur when it doesn’t happen –done this just to keep the peace!

    Budget – don’t want to go over £1k for both if poss.

    All opinions welcome –TA!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    The land of Brum
    1,199 times in 1,102 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: 2 pc's - upgrade advice please

    Cooler, Thermalright Ultima-90 (not not ultra 90) you need a fan to go with it, a good 120mm (Scythe S-Flex 800rpm )

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    75 times in 71 posts

    Re: 2 pc's - upgrade advice please

    For the moment stick with the E6600, wait for the penrynns to come out (then wait a month or two till the prices level out).

    New case, not much better than the antec 180/182, good cabling, great cooling, not too good if considering water cooling, other than that, great.

    The new ati 38xx cards are getting great reviews, but then, so are the nvidea 8800gt cards, not much between them. I think (from reading reviews) that the ati cards are slightly better for HD.

    I would leave the SC and just use the onboard sound, very good these days, if you're not happy with it then it's easy to upgrade later on with say, an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1.

    Not supprised that you are dissapointed with the 8600gts, terrible series of cards, not even on parr with the 79xx cards.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. X800 GTO2 and A64 3000+ Upgrade Advice
    By LWA in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 12:10 AM
  2. Pre-built desktop PC/HTPC upgrade advice please?
    By cheekster in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 08:46 PM
  3. Advice needed for new 775 upgrade
    By Boon72 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 26-01-2007, 11:26 PM
  4. £1,000 upgrade - advice, please?
    By DaKid in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 19-01-2007, 06:22 PM
  5. Price check and upgrade advice pls?
    By chriswood_7 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-01-2007, 12:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts