Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 17

Thread: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    Hi,

    I'm about to get together a new system and thought the CPU was the first choice to make. I don't want to spend a fortune, so was thinking about an AMD Duel Core.. maybe this one:

    Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

    Housing it in this MOBO (I take it an AM2 can fit in an AM2+ socket?):

    Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

    What's the opinion on Duel Core, are they fast/reliable? Is it worth spending extra for a Quad Core?

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Gentoo Ricer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    11,041
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked
    944 times in 704 posts
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaphox View Post
    Hi,

    I'm about to get together a new system and thought the CPU was the first choice to make. I don't want to spend a fortune, so was thinking about an AMD Duel Core.. maybe this one:

    Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

    Housing it in this MOBO (I take it an AM2 can fit in an AM2+ socket?):

    Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

    What's the opinion on Duel Core, are they fast/reliable? Is it worth spending extra for a Quad Core?

    Any help is appreciated.
    Dual core is still more than adequate for most tasks. And yes, AM2 CPUs can fit in an AM2+ motherboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

  3. Received thanks from:

    zaphox (03-06-2008)

  4. #3
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    As an AMD fan, personally, I'd be looking at Intel right now. They seem to represent better value for money at the moment .... unless you already have the motherboard.

    As for dual versus Quad, right now, there isn't much that takes advantage of quad core, in that there aren't many apps written to properly use multiple cores. If you happen to have one of those that does, that might be the best bet.

    But otherwise, the way I see it is that it's a pretty close call. In many respects, dual core will give you higher performance in many ways, and at the same budget, than Quad. So if you're running something particularly demanding on the processor, maybe go dual, but if you're running several major apps simultaneously (like a large database search and large print job, while editing photos in Photoshop) then quadcore will probably help more than a slightly faster dual core.

    But, and this is a personal opinion that some will probably disagree with, in terms of real world effect on performance, there isn't much to chose between. So a Q6600 is a good choice for a rock-solid quad, but an E8400 dual core is going to give similar levels of real world performance .... though I'm sure you can benchmark difference.

    The Q6600 probably future proofs a bit better, on the basis that apps that will use four cores will, presumably, be coming along. Eventually. Or the smaller die size, power usage and heat profile of the E8400 has benefits right now.

    Of course, if you want AMD for a reason, please ignore all of he above.

  5. Received thanks from:

    zaphox (03-06-2008)

  6. #4
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,324
    Thanks
    1,550
    Thanked
    2,958 times in 2,398 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    I often let my cores fight each other.

    But duels aside Saracen's post is what I'd say as well - any games that seem to be CPU limited tend to be speed limited rather than number of cores limited.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    271
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    7 times in 7 posts
    • ikix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 Quad-GT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 (OC to 3.0GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD, 320GB Seagate, 160GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • P182
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2009WFP

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    Generally the way i see it (regarding the Q6600, since its price is reasonable enough to make a fair enough comparison) if you are wanting to keep your processor for a long time then go quad but if you are going to be upgrading not too long after then go dual core. Keeping in mind that atm intel seems to be the better option and they will release nehalem near the end of this year.

  8. Received thanks from:

    zaphox (03-06-2008)

  9. #6
    SiM
    SiM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,787
    Thanks
    300
    Thanked
    633 times in 422 posts
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?


  10. #7
    Ninja Noxvayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In the shadows
    Posts
    2,451
    Thanks
    748
    Thanked
    215 times in 173 posts
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    As an AMD fan, personally, I'd be looking at Intel right now. They seem to represent better value for money at the moment .... unless you already have the motherboard.

    As for dual versus Quad, right now, there isn't much that takes advantage of quad core, in that there aren't many apps written to properly use multiple cores. If you happen to have one of those that does, that might be the best bet.

    But otherwise, the way I see it is that it's a pretty close call. In many respects, dual core will give you higher performance in many ways, and at the same budget, than Quad. So if you're running something particularly demanding on the processor, maybe go dual, but if you're running several major apps simultaneously (like a large database search and large print job, while editing photos in Photoshop) then quadcore will probably help more than a slightly faster dual core.

    But, and this is a personal opinion that some will probably disagree with, in terms of real world effect on performance, there isn't much to chose between. So a Q6600 is a good choice for a rock-solid quad, but an E8400 dual core is going to give similar levels of real world performance .... though I'm sure you can benchmark difference.

    The Q6600 probably future proofs a bit better, on the basis that apps that will use four cores will, presumably, be coming along. Eventually. Or the smaller die size, power usage and heat profile of the E8400 has benefits right now.

    Of course, if you want AMD for a reason, please ignore all of he above.
    I agree and in fact believe that Dual cores run games better than quad cores because they are able to run the game with far less heat being emitted which naturally means better efficiency.

    Quads are only useful if you run multiple applications while you are gaming or using PhotoShop and other similar apps. Basically Quads are for the person who wants to do everything at once, Dual cores are for gamers who aren't bothered about closing apps before starting a game.

    As for AMD vs Intel yeah Intel are better with the higher performance spec but AMD are still good for average users. If you intend to crossfire 2 lower end GFX cards like 2 HD3850's then the AMD chipset is better as there is almost 50% better performance on the AMD chipset as opposed to the Intel one.

  11. Received thanks from:

    zaphox (03-06-2008)

  12. #8
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by SiM View Post


    I would only buy a dual core for a budget build now, people suggest the e8400 is better for games which I'm sure it is but it's like comparing the gold and silver winners in an olympic race... they both do the job very very well. In terms of the Q6600 it does game very well and does everything else even better

  13. Received thanks from:

    zaphox (03-06-2008)

  14. #9
    SiM
    SiM is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,787
    Thanks
    300
    Thanked
    633 times in 422 posts
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    I would only buy a dual core for a budget build now, people suggest the e8400 is better for games which I'm sure it is but it's like comparing the gold and silver winners in an olympic race... they both do the job very very well. In terms of the Q6600 it does game very well and does everything else even better
    That is the best analogy yet!
    If you want gold in gaming/single thread apps and silver in everything else get the Dual and clock to 4ghz+
    If you want silver in gaming and gold in multi threaded apps or multi tasking get the Quad and clock to 3.6ghz+

  15. Received thanks from:

    zaphox (03-06-2008)

  16. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    ok that's great, thanks for the replies.

    It seems almost too good to be true that I can get a Duel Core AMD chip for about £50 inc VAT, yet I notice the Intel chips are generally well over the £100 mark. Is there a reason for this?

    I've already got a pretty nice AM2/939/754 Zalman heatsink/fan that I was hoping to use but if the Intels are much better I may reconsider.

  17. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    335
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts
    • vmong's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5N-E SLi
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.4
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 320gb Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • 550Watts
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20"

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    Dual core are probably good for peopel who do not demand much power. i personally would not invest in a dual core IF it was just a computer for school work etc. however if its a computer for a few years then i would get a Core2, they have better efficiency

  18. #12
    Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,324
    Thanks
    1,550
    Thanked
    2,958 times in 2,398 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaphox View Post
    ok that's great, thanks for the replies.

    It seems almost too good to be true that I can get a Duel Core AMD chip for about £50 inc VAT, yet I notice the Intel chips are generally well over the £100 mark. Is there a reason for this?
    More pistols at dawn!

    But yes, there is a reason - Intel chips are much much faster. But AMD is a good budget choice.

  19. Received thanks from:

    zaphox (03-06-2008)

  20. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    155
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    *steps into the light* heh ok I'll stop calling them duel core now

    Intel it is... damn there goes another £100

  21. #14
    finding nemo staffsMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,498
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked
    794 times in 741 posts
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    Actually you can get intel dual cores (pentium dual cores as they are reffered to) for £40 ish and they overclock to around 3.0GHz if you are interested in overclocking

    I actually run an brisbane core AMD X2 and think its a fantastic chip for the money. Overclock nicely to 3.0GHz and matches my e6600 in most of my day to day stuff.
    Last edited by staffsMike; 03-06-2008 at 03:36 PM.

  22. #15
    No-one's Fanboi Thorsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Neverneverland
    Posts
    2,749
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked
    93 times in 92 posts
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    If you're on a very tight budget re CPU, mobo & RAM, and won't be able to afford much of an upgrade for some time, then AMD is a good choice. If you are fairly tight but may be able to upgrade in 18 months then get a C2D Dual. If you're less tight now, but won't be able to upgrade for more than 2 years get a C2D Quad.

    Whatever get 4Gb RAM now (unless you're prepared to monitor prices regularly and will be able to take action when things change), coz there's no guarantee that DDR2 prices will stay this low - they will certainly go up when DDR3 prices start to come down and it becomes the memory of choice.

  23. #16
    Senior Member looney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    754
    Thanks
    369
    Thanked
    20 times in 18 posts
    • looney's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 @ 3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Ballistix & 2GB PNY
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 7200.11 320GB & WD 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R6850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 11.04 & Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP pavillion f1723 17"
      • Internet:
      • 8mbps

    Re: Is the Duel Core still worth buying?

    e7200 and p35 mobo, failing that you get cheaper e2180 and oc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Single Core vs dual Core
    By Shooty* in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 10:24 AM
  2. Worth buying a PS3 without HD TV?
    By Merlin4458 in forum Gaming
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 06:52 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 12:27 PM
  4. 3 degree temp difference between each core on my E6400??!
    By JamieS in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 01:31 PM
  5. AMD Dual Core Processor Plans @ PC Perspective
    By Steve in forum HEXUS News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-03-2005, 03:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •