Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sn41g2 random reboots caused by a driver,please help!

w33d smoka
    Thanks

sn41g2 random reboots caused by a driver,please help!

hi

ok ive been having this problem for awhile now where for no apparent reason my sn41g2 will just reboot or crash back to the desktop without reason,when it reeboots and it loads up again microsoft/windows error report says its a driver but it cant be specific on which driver or what caused the problem,ive tried everythin i can think of the past couple of months from formats to new hardware with this issue as its driving me insane but i cant think of anything/driver that ive got on my machine other than official drivers that have shipped with my shuttle or the graphics card whitch has official 3.10 cats

ide appreciate any help please as im at the end of my tether,my setup consists of:

shuttle sn41g2 (stock drivers/v2 sn41g2 drivers)
    70mm/80mm intake fan (definately not heat related)
    samsung cdrw/dvd combi
    7200rpm 80gb maxtor hard disk
    sapphire radeon 9800pro (official 3.10)
    2x 512mb twinmoss 3200
    win xp pro (fresh install with only official drivers and 3dmark2003 installed)

like it says above ive got nothing on this new install other than stock drivers and 3dmark 2003 and im at stock speeds,yet it still reboots and insists that its driver related,has any 1 had this issue before with thier sn41g2 or any other shuttle for that matter?

please advise

thnx
    Last edited by micovwar; 23-02-2004 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    Have you backed up and reinstalled windows?
    Cleared CMOS?
    Checked which drivers are installed? You can find this information in the controll panel?
    Cross referenced these 'random reboots' with processes that windows was running at the time?

I would try I and 2 first.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexticle
    Have you backed up and reinstalled windows?
    Cleared CMOS?
    Checked which drivers are installed? You can find this information in the controll panel?
    Cross referenced these 'random reboots' with processes that windows was running at the time?

I would try I and 2 first.
    hi rexticle

thnx for taking the time (2mins) to post a reply (i see as usual 26 people have read my extremely important thread yet none (only you) took the 1-2 mins it would take to post a simple reply (typical),so thanx again )
    ok ive tried step 1 and 2 on numerous occasions and nothin has improved,i done a full format yesterday then reinstalled windows xp and chipset drivers then backed up the image using norton ghost followed by downloading every update available from microsoft and still it doesnt cure the problem,i cannot understand how it can be a driver issue becouse i pretty much use the same drivers every1 else does (however microsoft demands its driver related but cant tell me anythin about it,,wow no supprise here then) its driving me insane.

im on holiday this week so ive got all the time to mess around with it,but my ideas are running steadily dry as ive pretty much covered everythin i can think of to fix this problem,i so wish my baby could be 100% stable (its so frustrating to think you have so much money tied up in such a small box yet it keeps rebooting or crashing to the desktop ) ive tried numerous ati drivers too but all to no avail,shurely some 1 must have had this issue before (i cant be the only 1 ,can i?) the problem with this particular issue is that sometimes it takes so long before itle happen again ive only realy noticed it happens a bit more lately becouse ive spent 3 days benchmarking the computer with 3dmark 01 & 03 aswell as prime95 ide say easily 5 outov 10 times ile be kicked backto the desktop before 3dmark completes the test but sometimes itle complete 3 or 4 tests without a problem,go figure,

thnx again

joe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micovwar
    hi rexticle

thnx for taking the time (2mins) to post a reply (i see as usual 26 people have read my extremely important thread yet none (only you) took the 1-2 mins it would take to post a simple reply (typical),so thanx again
    I was one of the 26 who looked at this thread and left no reply.
    I looked at it cos I look at all the posts in this section.
    I looked and read and thought.....'no idea what that problems solution is'
    I did not post a reply saying 'no idea mate'
    I think you will find that there was not 26 people thinking...'well I know but I'm f*cked if I'm telling him!'
    I think you will find that 26 people thought 'strange problem.no idea whats causing that'

After further pondering it here is what I would suspect if it was my problem......it's not a driver issue at all.......I would be looking at something randomly failling due to heat,or I would check out the memory and try to see if it is the problem,
    But that is just me and probably no help at all.

Think kinder of lookers at your thread............maybe they just dont have a useful answer to post.

Thanks
    What speed you running the ram at ? 333 or 400 ?
    R-points pyramid scheme is NOT allowed on HEXUS. Please do not add it back again - thank you.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    I was one of the 26 who looked at this thread and left no reply.
    I looked at it cos I look at all the posts in this section.
    I looked and read and thought.....'no idea what that problems solution is'
    I did not post a reply saying 'no idea mate'
    I think you will find that there was not 26 people thinking...'well I know but I'm f*cked if I'm telling him!'
    I think you will find that 26 people thought 'strange problem.no idea whats causing that'

After further pondering it here is what I would suspect if it was my problem......it's not a driver issue at all.......I would be looking at something randomly failling due to heat,or I would check out the memory and try to see if it is the problem,
    But that is just me and probably no help at all.

Think kinder of lookers at your thread............maybe they just dont have a useful answer to post.
    thnx for ure post joe.

after re evaluating my previous post and ofcourse joe pointing some valid truths in his last reply to my post ive come to the conclusion that my previous post will ofcourse sound and look very bitchy indeed,for this i appologise profusely to any1 whos taken offence,this issue has realy taken me to the ends of the earth in the past couple of months and my patience is now none existant with the issue and as a result i guess i was just relying to heavily on some 1 in the forums to give me a quick fix.
    after reading over it (and deciding i was an utter pratt) and deciding to calm my frustrations im now planning on taking out my 2x512mb twimos 3200 and testing using a stick of 256mb twinmos 2100,i donno why becouse im certain theres nothin wrong with my gig of 3200 but i have read 1 or 2 posts the past couple of days where other users have reported there sn41g2,s rejecting certain types of 333-400 mhz ram.

icekay the ram posts @ 400mhz but ive tried a couple of other settings and still i get these wierd desktop crashes and sometimes even reboots.

please wish me luck.

ps: once again i appologise for my conduct.
    Last edited by micovwar; 24-02-2004 at 10:48 AM.

joe
    Thanks
    None taken...........none at all..........hope you can sort it.....I know how utterly annoying not knowing what is causing a particular problem is.

As to your wish............good luck!

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    I would take the 9800pro out and try it with on-board gfx. maybe the card is drawing too much power?

would also try taking oout any NIC's PCI cards and if possible try it with a different hard disk.

also one other option in windows XP. if you right click my computer and select properties, then go to advanced and click start up and recovery. in there there is a check box that says "automaticaly restart". untick that, should give youa BSOD next time it happens and should tell you the file causing the problem.

hope this helps mate.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G4Z
    I would take the 9800pro out and try it with on-board gfx. maybe the card is drawing too much power?

would also try taking oout any NIC's PCI cards and if possible try it with a different hard disk.

also one other option in windows XP. if you right click my computer and select properties, then go to advanced and click start up and recovery. in there there is a check box that says "automaticaly restart". untick that, should give youa BSOD next time it happens and should tell you the file causing the problem.

hope this helps mate.
    hiya g4z m8

well ide like to say i think ive sorted it and ule never guess what it was (drumroll) the computer just doesnt like the ram (omg, my beloved gig of 3200 is no good to me) after i posted my last message yesterday i set about taking out the twinmos3200 and replacing with a single 256 twinmos 2100ddr stick and thouroghly testing using 3dmark 01se & 03 and aquamark #
    i put 3dmark 2001se on a loop for around 4 hours and the lil shuttle flew through it after ide completed around 500 tests i set about testing with 03 (this was usually the 1 which i got the reeboot in) and shure enough after testing around 20 times with this i came to the conclusion that it had to have been my ram,the wierd thing is that the shuttle doesnt like BOTH sticks,so whats a guy to do,go back to using 2100 ddr with a 333 barton?

joe
    Thanks
    Excellent news !!............possibly someone would be willing to swap ram with you?.....Crucial seems to happily run in anything.....maybe someone has some that they will trade for your Twinmos ?

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    yeh maybe joe,ile keep an eye out.

thnx again

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    well, I have 768 of 2700 that I would trade ya
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    i could well be intrested g4z m8,,i gotta test this ram thouroghly tho before i sell/trade it on as im not takin any chances that it bites some 1 elses ass after i sell it on m8.

what kind isit?

Thanks
    I had the same problem, i read on sudhian forums its to do with running the fsb at 400, so i put it back to 333 and now it works fine.
    R-points pyramid scheme is NOT allowed on HEXUS. Please do not add it back again - thank you.

Thanks
    Just a quick one before you part with your ram (same as mine!) - try upping the RAM voltage if you can. This seems to sort out quite a few problems with Twinmoss (especially if your ram has Twinmoss chips)

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zebedee
    Just a quick one before you part with your ram (same as mine!) - try upping the RAM voltage if you can. This seems to sort out quite a few problems with Twinmoss (especially if your ram has Twinmoss chips)
    ahh,
    well mine have m-tec chips so does this make much difference,plus i dont have any voltage options on my sn41g2 afaik,after testing tho ive found that 1 dimm seems perfectly fine but the other 1 has got problems and failed the same 2 tests in the ramtest eachtime ive ran it.

i also still have a lil problem with clocking,as soon as i overclock my xp2500 to 2.0 ghz (just 16mhz more than stock) i keep getting booted back to the desktop within the first test on 3dmark2001se however it completes 3dmark 03 with no problems and im certain this stick of ram is fine as its been tested now for 3 days running with countless 3dmark loops for 6 or more hours at a time and 15 hours of prime95 aswell as around 10 passes of microsofts ram testing utility

edit.

just a quick update on this,this morning i tried clocking @ 2.0ghz but the computer didnt like it,(i kept getting booted back to the desktop) but it seems to be perfectly fine running @ 2.1ghz ive already put it through around 5 tests each in 3dmark 2001/03 and im now doing a burn in test with sandra03 and it seems totally fine.(however it failed prime 95 in 1st 30 secs )
    i know my sig says that im already @ 2.1 but that was when i first got the processor and ram around 6 months back from cpu city when they were supposedly doing 2.2 on air for every1 i think and ide tried clocking then and got it to 2.1ghz for a few days but it was rebooting after about 1 or so times every couple days and i put it down to the overclock so i backed it downto stock (forgeting to update sig) but when the reboots continued i was dumbstruck and have only just found out it was a stick of my beloved ram
    can any1 possibly explain why it seems happier at 2.1ghz than it does at 2.0 please?

thnx
    Last edited by micovwar; 27-02-2004 at 03:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information