Thread: External VGA on Smashed laptop?

Thanks

External VGA on Smashed laptop?

Hi there,

Someones given me an HP G60 laptop thats been dropped down the stairs. The LCD is completely smashed. When I turn it on the fans spin and power lights are on but nothing comes on the screen (and there are no beeps). When I take out the RAM I get 3 beeps from POST, so it must not be completely screwed. I've taken out the Optical Disk Drive and Hard Disk drive and tested them in my PC (using diagnostic software and the SATA connections) and they are both fine. When I plug in an external display via the VGA output nothing appears on the monitor, even when I press fn+F4 (the external monitor button).

So my question is, can I just plug an external monitor in and expect the display to show on that or do I have to change some settings in the BIOS first? (which I can't do as the screens smashed). I could take an old screen out another laptop and connect it to test but I'd rather not if the laptops definitely done in!
    Is this laptop completely wrecked or is there hope yet? I had a look on the HP website but I can't find anything in the manuals about the beep codes. Any idea where I could get the info? Do all HP laptops use a certain BIOS and thus I can find the beep codes that way?

Much thanks for your help,

Dan Gent

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media

Re: External VGA on Smashed laptop?

it may need you to press a key combo on the keyboard before is acitavts the vga out. there will be most likley be a Fn + fKey combe look for a picture of a monitor on the fkeys

EDit: try fn + f4
    Last edited by alsenior; 20-10-2009 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Thanks

Thanks for the advice alsenior. I had a read through the manual and found the key combination. Still did nothing though...I'm going to take the whole laptop to pieces then put it back together in case anythings been nocked out of place (or i notice any broken parts!). I think if the screens so badly cracked then something else has probably broken.

I'll post back with what I find.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • burn-e86's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55-UD2
      • CPU:
      • core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb ddr1600C9
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4650 512mb X2
      • Case:
      • silverstone TJ08
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • god I hate 02...

If you turn it on and it does spin up bt no doesn't display anything (even with a cracked screen) it's possible that the mobo has died on it. One question, when you switch it on does it access the Hdd? if not then I'd say its screwed.

Thanks

Thats a very good point. How would I check whether it was accessing the HDD? As simple as whether the HDD light flashes? Its in many pieces now this laptop, and I'm going to quickly reseat the CPU and etc (no thermal paste or anything like that reapplied though) just to see if I get it to turn on. And if theres no flashing HDD light then I'll take your advice and the mobo must be broken!

Is it worth replacing just the motherboard if this is likely the problem?

Thanks for the advice

Registered+
    Thanks
    • burn-e86's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55-UD2
      • CPU:
      • core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb ddr1600C9
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4650 512mb X2
      • Case:
      • silverstone TJ08
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • god I hate 02...

well, if you don't have any thermo paste use some toothpaste for a temp job. as to accessing the hdd, normally you can hear the hdd spin up and hear it clicking as it accesses data. as you said it should be as simple as seeing if the hdd seek light turns on.
    If the mobo seems to have snapped it will cost less to replace the computer then it will to get the mobo repaired.

Thanks

i've got some alrite thermal paste, i was just thinking of saving time by not cleaning off the old paste and reapplying it. if it all works (which is doubtable!) I could reapply paste and etc, but toothpaste is an interesting idea!

I'll put it back together and then post back whether the HDD is being read. I don't think it was though IIRC.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-COMPAQ-PRES...item335511bcdc
    the motherboards going for about £160 on Ebay. Which is a lot less than the original price for the laptop as its under a year old. The screen needs replacing as well but I can fit a 2nd hand one for about £40. Do you think its not worth doing for this price?
    Should I be able to see some sort of physically damage on the motherboard or will it be so small you'll need a magnifiying glass! (or smaller!)

Thanks again burn-e86

Registered+
    Thanks
    • burn-e86's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55-UD2
      • CPU:
      • core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb ddr1600C9
      • Storage:
      • 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4650 512mb X2
      • Case:
      • silverstone TJ08
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • god I hate 02...

I'd just be weary since you have'nt pinpointed the problem, you don't know its the motherboard (though all signs point that way...) it could be the RAM or CPU (though i'd say its unlikely).
    personally I'd be lazy and throw it away, but if there's a chance....
    as to the damage on the motherboard it could be anything, heck assuming it has a grfx card (ATI Nvidia whatever) it could be the Grfx card has gone not the motherboard. I know on mine it there was a lovely point in the middle of the card which would bend a whole hell of alot more then it should, not to mention the big crack the through the middle. since it was dropped I'd guess that the damage would be a crack or crunch near the impact zone but I am often wrong. good luck in your search

Thread Information