Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 33 to 39 of 39

Thread: Good case for my rig??

  1. #33
    Senior Member Hicks12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Plymouth-SouthWest
    Posts
    6,560
    Thanks
    1,066
    Thanked
    333 times in 289 posts
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

    Re: Good case for my rig??

    So would you say its best to just wait till say the new AMD bulldozer chips come out during this year(am i right)?. I find my cpu could be better a lot but if its worth it i could wait till these chips out and then change to microatx and a new cpu/socket all at the same time.

    Good or bad idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

  2. #34
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    9,964
    Thanks
    580
    Thanked
    1,199 times in 1,102 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: Good case for my rig??

    OK just took the PSU out (Lian-Li 140mm fan still in) of my 6788 and poped it on the scales
    approx 5.5kg

    ps I know you're PSU is not that bad, what I was sugesting is that you should be able to get away with a 400w psu and even a good one should be lighter than you're current 700w psu

    And that you could get a real el-cheapo job which would probably only mass 1kg, it would save weight, but the risk would be too high.

    Just poped my enermax pro82+ 525w on the bathroom scales, approx 2kg
    You probably don't want to remove your psu to weigh it, same reason I'll not give you a weight for my gameXstreme 700w

  3. #35
    Moosen CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    28,885
    Thanks
    3,212
    Thanked
    4,489 times in 3,463 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Good case for my rig??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    So would you say its best to just wait till say the new AMD bulldozer chips come out during this year(am i right)?. I find my cpu could be better a lot but if its worth it i could wait till these chips out and then change to microatx and a new cpu/socket all at the same time.

    Good or bad idea?
    AFAIK,AMD Bulldozer is coming out early next year. If a lighter and smaller ATX case can do the job then it would be a cheaper way to go about things!


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  4. #36
    Senior Member Hicks12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Plymouth-SouthWest
    Posts
    6,560
    Thanks
    1,066
    Thanked
    333 times in 289 posts
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

    Re: Good case for my rig??

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    OK just took the PSU out (Lian-Li 140mm fan still in) of my 6788 and poped it on the scales
    approx 5.5kg

    ps I know you're PSU is not that bad, what I was sugesting is that you should be able to get away with a 400w psu and even a good one should be lighter than you're current 700w psu

    And that you could get a real el-cheapo job which would probably only mass 1kg, it would save weight, but the risk would be too high.

    Just poped my enermax pro82+ 525w on the bathroom scales, approx 2kg
    You probably don't want to remove your psu to weigh it, same reason I'll not give you a weight for my gameXstreme 700w
    Yeh i didnt assume you were saying it was bad, i was just trying to say that im not really wanting to replace something thats working fine as funding is somewhat limited right now . I would use an el cheapo but id rather have a heavy rig than a crispy one 6months down the line lol!.



    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    AFAIK,AMD Bulldozer is coming out early next year. If a lighter and smaller ATX case can do the job then it would be a cheaper way to go about things!
    Ah, i thought bulldozer was comming out q3 2010 dont know why though. Know of any upcomming cpu's that are going to surpass the e8400 in gaming and general performance, a lot?. Thuban is a 6core cpu thats apparently out this year which would probably be pretty good im guessing?.

    I want to move to mATX as that case seems perfect, however it just requires me selling my motherboard and forking out to buy a new one which seems a bit daft given that 775 is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

  5. #37
    Moosen CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    28,885
    Thanks
    3,212
    Thanked
    4,489 times in 3,463 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Good case for my rig??

    AMD maybe releasing some new quad cores based on the Thuban chip. There maybe some architectural improvements as it seems that Deneb will be replaced by Thuban:

    http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardwa...processor.html

    Also I would consider the Core i3 too although the motherboards are not as cheap as with AMD usually. OTH,I have heard that socket 1156 is going to be replaced by socket 1155 next year though.

    TBH,I still think getting a mATX socket 775 based motherboard is the most cost effective upgrade you can do ATM. You can re-use your RAM and the E8400 is still an excellent processor.

    I would sell your existing case and motherboard and this should make the upgrade the cost of upgrading to a mATX system under £100.

    You can then next year get a newer CPU,motherboard and RAM if the E8400 is not doing the job.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  6. #38
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    9,964
    Thanks
    580
    Thanked
    1,199 times in 1,102 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • PhenomII x4 955 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 250gb SATA Westerndigital + 500gb samsung +1tb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX560ti CuII
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet E9 680w
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 21" ips something

    Re: Good case for my rig??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    I want to move to mATX as that case seems perfect, however it just requires me selling my motherboard and forking out to buy a new one which seems a bit daft given that 775 is dead.
    Sorry by 775 is not really dead yet, no it'll not go ahead anywere from here but it's still decent.

    With quite a few people swapping systems you might be able to pic up a decent cheap 2nd hand matx motherboard.

  7. #39
    Senior Member Hicks12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Plymouth-SouthWest
    Posts
    6,560
    Thanks
    1,066
    Thanked
    333 times in 289 posts
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

    Re: Good case for my rig??

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Sorry by 775 is not really dead yet, no it'll not go ahead anywere from here but it's still decent.

    With quite a few people swapping systems you might be able to pic up a decent cheap 2nd hand matx motherboard.
    Maybe i should of explained a tad better, dead as in there will be no new cpu's that offer a decent performance increase (like phenom 1 to 2 is). The 775 socket has great cpu's hence why i bought one .

    That was what i was gunna look into Pob, i had that thought today about picking up a secondhand board which would save a lot of cost probably.

    So how much you reckon i could get for my asus p5n-d (its the 750i chipset), and my Cm 690 which isnt in amazing condition (odd scratch and a dent).
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 5x Akasa Ambers + ZM-MFC2, or just buy a new case?
    By ezri in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
  2. Which case?
    By m1ke_hawkins in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-04-2006, 03:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •