Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Bin errr Box - and HDD noise via front grille

Thanks

Angry Dusty Bin errr Box - and HDD noise via front grille

I opened up my (old) Coolermaster 201c case at the weekend and it looks like the inside of a heavily used Dyson vacuum - pretty but dirty

What's the best way to go about cleaning your box...
    I've got a cool vacuum with a digital control that lets you change the RPM/suction (shove that on yer CPU) but somehow I still don't think it's a good idea to go pokin around the case with it...

Most of the dust also seems to have collected in the intake fans behind the grill at the front. What's with the design on that - am I seriously going to have to take out my HDDs to get in there? I can't see any other way to do it...

Ah, and whilst I'm moaning about that, I finally realized that the majority of the noise I'm hearing from this PC is actually coming from the whining HDDs via this damn intake/grill. They're nothing special - just a 40Gb Maxtor and an 80Gb Seagate - my guess is that I probably wouldn't hear them so much up in the 5.25" slots? Only got 1 free though. Anyone tried a QuietPC SilentDrive?? £24 seems like a lot for a plastic HDD sauna/coffin, no?

Thanks
    Dust always makes your machine louder, after good clean you normally make it quieter, it usually runs cooler and makes you feel good! .

To clean it you cant use a vacuum cleaner, as it produces alot of static and will most probably damage quite a few components.

Best bet is just get each component out and clean it with a cloth. Well that is the way I do it. If you can't be bothered just make sure you get dust out of the main air flow areas.

Thanks
    Also with those HDD coolers, I had a few once, and in my opinion because the fan is so god dam small its a waste of time even having them. Just take em out if I were you.

Thanks
    Anti-static wipes normally do the job.

You should be able to get em' from any computer store for around £3.
    Acer Travelmate 8104WMLi
    P-M 2.0 Ghz
    2Gb DDR533 Corsair RAM
    100Gb 7200rpm Seagtae HD
    128Mb ATi x700 Mobility

Thanks
    There is also a spray isn't there? that gets rid of the dust but doesn't harm any components. Not sure what it is or what its called, but im pretty sure I have heard of such a thing?

Thanks
    yeah, its called compressed air, you can get it in maplins quite cheaply i believe.
    Recycling consultant

Thanks
    Ahar - compressed air - that's what I was looking for.

What gets me though with the case is that its got this hdd cage all down the front and it's a pain in the @ss to get in there. Anyone know if there's maybe a filter between the fans and the front of the case? The front is bolted on with hexagonal bolts so I'll maybe try and take it off with some allen keys.

Banned
    Thanks
    You can quiet those HDs down with sw (esp the Maxtor one), small perf hit though (where was that thread?). I doubt their noise levels will be much lower in 5.25" bays but it won't hurt to give it a try. In order to minimise dust build up inside the case you should attempt to get more intake than exhaust fans as this creates a slightly higher pressure inside the case and naturally reduces the build up of dust. Of course exhaust fans are MUCH better at cooling your case and more fans also equals more noise so go figure...

Thanks
    awww thats the one, simple name just coudln't remember what it was or what it consisted off. I might have to buy some see how good it is.

Tom
    Thanks
    if u wanna get to the front grill take a look at the side of the case when the sides are off ull see four screws holding the front on. ill find a picture from XTR's gallery:

take them out the grill comes right off with the dust filter. give it a rince or something let it dry and put it back on

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks
    use a magnetic screwdriver to remove the 4 screws too...

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

Thanks
    So THAT's the way to do it...
    Just in time too, as new system parts coming soon!
    Next stop Maplin for some compressed air.

Thanks
    So how often do you guys spring clean your cases then?? Seems like a labour of love, but if its gotta be done...

Tom
    Thanks
    i really dont get any dust inside my case, i just need to clean the front filter every cpl months and its fine

Banned
    Thanks
    Tom where did you get the filter from and what impact does it have on airflow/ventilation?

Thanks
    The Coolermaster 201s come with a filter as standard. Once I washed mine out (hadn't been cleaned since I bought the case some 2yrs ago, shame on me) I could see it was quite lightweight and fairly transparent so shouldn't impede airlow that much. I should've taken a pic when I had it out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information