Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 26

Thread: my upgrade

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    52 times in 42 posts

    my upgrade

    Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G Socket AM3
    4 gig mem not sure which yet.
    AMD Phenom X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHZ 6MB but then i would need to unlock it and by a new fan which costs around £29, so iam looking at
    £100 for chip and fan upgrade.

    £20 pounds more i could buy AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, or should i wait for the new Phenom II X4 Phenom II X4 960T ?
    Last edited by petercook7; 12-05-2010 at 11:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Poor graduate. Ulti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    702
    Thanked
    222 times in 191 posts
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock B450M Pro4
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Delta 32GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO+ 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX 1070 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • Jonsbo UMX3 TG Version
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre Extra 80/20

    Re: my upgrade

    I'd say wait for the new Phenoms as they *MAY* change the pricing around a bit. You could also try unlocking the new Phenoms to a 6 core if you're lucky too!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    52 times in 42 posts

    Re: my upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulti View Post
    I'd say wait for the new Phenoms as they *MAY* change the pricing around a bit. You could also try unlocking the new Phenoms to a 6 core if you're lucky too!
    thats what i was thinking, but i have no idea when they are going to be released.

  4. #4
    Poor graduate. Ulti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    702
    Thanked
    222 times in 191 posts
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock B450M Pro4
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Delta 32GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO+ 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX 1070 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • Jonsbo UMX3 TG Version
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre Extra 80/20

    Re: my upgrade

    What will you be using the pc for anyway though?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    52 times in 42 posts

    Re: my upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulti View Post
    What will you be using the pc for anyway though?
    playing cod and BF:bad otherwise using it to surf.

  6. #6
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,858
    Thanks
    1,501
    Thanked
    935 times in 805 posts

    Re: my upgrade

    What do you have ATM? If you have a half-decent dual core your GPU is most likely the bottleneck in your PC for gaming and you'd see a greater improvement in spending the money on upgrading that instead.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    52 times in 42 posts

    Re: my upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    What do you have ATM? If you have a half-decent dual core your GPU is most likely the bottleneck in your PC for gaming and you'd see a greater improvement in spending the money on upgrading that instead.
    amd venice 3000+ ddr1 PCI Express 1.0 x16 ati 4850
    so really need pcie 2.0 then was thinking get usb 3 and sata3 as well so now looking at 80 ish plus for the board must have optical out and hdmi.
    Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 AMD 880 something like that, was thinking of getting ph2 2 555.

  8. #8
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,063
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    1,037 times in 881 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: my upgrade

    For gaming you are better off with the quad core than the 6 core,
    My main machine has a 955BE, it comes with a nice fan and is the CPU you want without relying on an unlock.
    My dual core CPU only unlocks to 3 cores. Thats fine, I only need 2 cores on that machine and wouldn't have been fussed if it didn't unlock at all.

    For 20 quid and no risk? Get the 955BE.

  9. #9
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: my upgrade

    If you are overclocking look for a motherboard with one of the split 8 phase VRMs and/or some sort of VRM ccoling.

    If you do not intend to overclock this is not so important though.

    This motherboard does look very good for the price:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/219204

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...80G%20Extreme3

    It has the 880G chipset,USB 3.0,SATA 3.0,symmetrical Crossfire,a split 8+2 phase VRM with cooling and the HD4250 IGP with 128MB of dedicated DDR3 for under £90.

    Here is a review of the motherboard:

    http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/exclu...n-cores/all/1/

    Also make sure you get a decent PSU too.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  10. #10
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,035
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked
    2,242 times in 1,844 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: my upgrade

    If you've got a graphics card already and are going for an ATX board you might be able to save some money by going for a 770 chipset motherboard rather than a 785G / 880G (after all, you don't need the onboard graphics or sideport memory).

    As CAT says, if you're not overclocking you probaly don't need the extra spec on the VRM, so something like this MSI would do the job for < £50...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    52 times in 42 posts

    Re: my upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    If you are overclocking look for a motherboard with one of the split 8 phase VRMs and/or some sort of VRM ccoling.

    If you do not intend to overclock this is not so important though.

    This motherboard does look very good for the price:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/219204

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...80G%20Extreme3

    It has the 880G chipset,USB 3.0,SATA 3.0,symmetrical Crossfire,a split 8+2 phase VRM with cooling and the HD4250 IGP with 128MB of dedicated DDR3 for under £90.

    Here is a review of the motherboard:

    http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/exclu...n-cores/all/1/

    Also make sure you get a decent PSU too.
    was going to get a 2 core and try to unlock the 2cores, but then it would mean buy a cooler 29 which brings the price to 100 ish pounds and then taking the risk.
    i was looking at asus as i can get the board for 80, already have a 550 psu so thatll be good.

  12. #12
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: my upgrade

    I assume the PSU is a decent model.

    TBH,the Asrock motherboard looks better than the Asus. If you are core unlocking and/or overclocking I would definitely go for the Asrock motherboard.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    52 times in 42 posts

    Re: my upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I assume the PSU is a decent model.

    TBH,the Asrock motherboard looks better than the Asus. If you are core unlocking and/or overclocking I would definitely go for the Asrock motherboard.
    dont asrock use cheaper capacitors on their boards?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    52 times in 42 posts

    Re: my upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    If you've got a graphics card already and are going for an ATX board you might be able to save some money by going for a 770 chipset motherboard rather than a 785G / 880G (after all, you don't need the onboard graphics or sideport memory).

    As CAT says, if you're not overclocking you probaly don't need the extra spec on the VRM, so something like this MSI would do the job for < £50...
    i dont think those support usb 3 and sata 3

  15. #15
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    11,192
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    1,091 times in 833 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Re: my upgrade

    yeah i wouldn't get any motherboard that doesnt have USB3 and SATA6. Looking at your old system suggests you buy to last so making sure these things are there now would be high on the priority list.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    52 times in 42 posts

    Re: my upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    yeah i wouldn't get any motherboard that doesnt have USB3 and SATA6. Looking at your old system suggests you buy to last so making sure these things are there now would be high on the priority list.
    try to build them to last, but i do change my graphics card more than my board or chip.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Windows Anytime Upgrade
    By chrisj in forum Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 02:18 PM
  2. Computer upgrade advice
    By C2Dan in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-12-2008, 08:16 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-09-2008, 04:57 AM
  4. The eternal upgrade dilemna
    By MiLaMber in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •