Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying error on startup.

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks

Angry Annoying error on startup.

Hey guys. Yesterday, when the windows update (in tray) was finished I restarted to let it ya know work right. Anyways... When I restarted, it was SUPER SLOW in first boot screen, then it went to second screen where it shows a dash mark on the top left of my screen just blinking, and it does that for like a minute or so. Then my computers info comes up and then on the bottom it did this Verifying DMI blah blah............Update success. Oh its taking a long A** time itself also. Then give or take a minute or so it says please insert windows cd-disk and repair or something like that. When I get into the WindowsXP Pro screen, ya know where it ask to format, or install a new windowsxp on your system OR, repair a current winxp or whatever. So I pick that one, then a screen comes up and tells me what the repair thingy does right. Then it ask which operating system do you wana log on to and the only one I can is 1. So I type 1 and then press enter, its just like dos. Nothing but... C:/ then I type help, and I dont think I found anything in there that helped me. So I let the system sit for a while and it booted up fine, then this morning it did that, so I turned it off and went to take a shower then came back and turned it on and was THINKING of doing the slow thing because it was a lot longer then normal but it did get into windows. So maybe it's a update problem from microsoft or could it be some hardware problem? I just got a brand new NF7-S v2.0 and havnt flashed the bios yet because i'm new at it and I heard that flashing it gets rid of a lot of bugs. So what do you guys think is wrong with it?

Thanks for your help!

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Give it a flash, can't harm it....

Ive not heard of a win update requiring the CD like that though....
    Can you boot without the CD in now or does it fail?

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Yea I can bootup fine without it but like right now if I was to restart my computer it would ask me to put in the WindowsXP Pro CD and blah blah but i'll just let it stay off for a while and it wont do that.

Banned
    Thanks
    You may want to try the recovery console ... choose repair when first asked after inserting Windows bootable CD. From there you can use FIXMBR (fix master boot record) and other similar tools. I would advise backing up first and probably try less stringent methods to rectify your problem first. You have ran Scandisk, right?

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Nope i'm gona run scandisk right now and see what happends.

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    OMG It still does the EXACT same thing! What the heck is wrong with it?!!!

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    I've did everything I could think of... I did a virus check, did major clean ups, and let it sit forever!

Ok, if I leave it on for a while and press the restart button, it goes into that stupid stuff and wont boot. If I leave it on, then turn it off for about 30 minutes to an hour then turn it back on, it'll do that stupid stuff then eventually boot. If I leave it on then turn it off for like 5-24 hours, it will boot fine.

Austin, I have seen the FIXMBR in the repair mode. What is it? What is the worst that could happen to my computer if I do that? Cuz quite frankly I cant think of anything else to do.

Banned
    Thanks
    FIXMBR is Fix Master Boot Record and it fixes the part of your HD responsible for booting basicly. There are other similar tools which may help you, IIRC you type HELP (it tells you).

You could try rolling back with System Restore if you can get into Windows. Someting else you could try is a reinstall over the top of your current Windows, it should keep most of your settings, programs and all important files. To do that simply boot from the CD, ignore the first Repair prompt (that's for Recovery Console) but answer YES to the 2nd Repair prompt. If you get too stuck you could do a fresh OS install by resetting your partition(s), that would lose ALL things on your OS partition / HD though.

I know there's a log of what Windows Update files you have installed, you could check the M$ Knowledge Base for related problems or fixes. One way is to go into Windows Update and 'View Installation History' under 'Other Options' on the left manu pane.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Hey Austin... I am gona try to do a system restore, but I was wondering, does this make drivers and what not go back to original? I had just installed Flashmenu for abit and did a bios flash and other drivers like the newest Detanator FX drivers and my printer drivers and was wondering, will this make it so that my mobo is back to UNflashed and I have NO printer drivers and my graphics card drivers are back to the first ones I had?

Banned
    Thanks
    It should put your PC back to the time and date you select.

IIRC this doesn't include your documents and HD folders but can include stuff on the desktop and will put any installations since back (sw and drivers) ... after all that's what it should do as often it's those causing the problems.

Your mobo BIOS will be safe as that's held on the BIOS chip on your mobo and nothing to do with M$. Updated drivers are easy to redo anyway but I'd give it a few restarts and try afew apss etc first, just in case it was something you installed.

If you realise you're missing something huge (or it doesn't help you) then you can always skip forward to how it was just before you ran System Restore to go 'back in time' if needs be. It can gets as confusing as time travel!

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    Whats IIRC Austin my man?

Banned
    Thanks
    IIRC = If I Recall Correctly (IIRC).

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    hey is there anymore like those that you can tell me?

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    OMG! I just tryed to restore it to last thursday when the whole thing happend but it wouldnt let me! Am I gona have to live with this problem for the rest of my life?!!

Banned
    Thanks
    You could try FIXMBR type tools otherwise a reinstall, fresh install or drop it out the window is likely your best course of action.

See you space cowboy!
    Thanks
    But Austin... Wouldnt it just happen again? I mean this happend RIGHT after the windows update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information