Thread: How to overclock + why etc

Thanks

Question How to overclock + why etc

Hi - I am completely new to computer building and stuff, and have only just built my first one last week (a week today - yay!), and have heard a lot of stuff about overclocking, so I have some questions:

First of all, I'd like to know why people overclock - does it make computers noticably faster - is it worth it?

Secondly, what are the dangers? Is it just overheating the CPU, or is there more?

What I really want to know is is it worth me overclocking? I have an XP 2600+ CPU (more details can be found here), and I'd like to know if I should overclock my system.

Thanks

Thanks
    If I were you I'd only overclock if you have something that doesn't really run well, otherwise I'd leave it until you PC seems to be struggling with the latest stuff.

People overclock 1) because they want to show off! or 2) because you can save money or increase performance

It's difficult to damage the CPU when overclocking as long as you use your common sense. Just do it very slowly, with a decent heatsink and fan, and keep an eye on temperatures and stability (with programs like Prime95). In weather like this, you have to check that your previously fine overclock isn't overheating!
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun
    First of all, I'd like to know why people overclock - does it make computers noticably faster - is it worth it?
    No. Yes.

Secondly, what are the dangers? Is it just overheating the CPU, or is there more?
    Overheating won't be a problem if you have a decent heatsink. Only way is to try it. If it goes above about 65C, then I'd consider upgrading the heatsink.
    There aren't really any other dangers, but it'll probably shorten it's life. You'll have upgraded long before it's due to die anyway.

What I really want to know is is it worth me overclocking? I have an XP 2600+ CPU (more details can be found here), and I'd like to know if I should overclock my system.

Thanks
    Yes. Yes you should. But make sure you know how to reset your BIOS settings first. Lol.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Of course you should overclock!
    The main reason being why have your computer running at its current speed when it could be running faster? Its the joy of getting something for nothing which keeps us all going.
    It does make my computer noticably faster when i crank my chip up to 2.5gig (a 33% increase)
    I'm not saying i couldn't run every program/game i have now with it at stock but they run faster - yay.
    Dangers:- the only danger is if you go too fast too soon, caution is the name of the game. always check for stability after each increase and always keep an eye on your temperatures.
    To advise you on how to overclock though i need to know a few things. The cpu i can see(it's probably locked ) also need to know the model number of the motherboard & the type and speed of the RAM. Also, what Heatsink/Fan are you using and what are your temperatures like at the moment.
    Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
    Knight 2: NI.
    Other Knights: Shh...
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Overclocking is a cheaper way of getting top gear. lol
    why pay over the top prices when you can get cheaper hardware that will O/C to far superior speeds than what they are supposed to.Plus it gets canny exciting trying to push your rig that little bit faster.
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    For most people round here it's a hobby/addiction. But it's free speed & performance vs the challenge of being able to tweak a couple of MHz outa your rig for a few extra bragging points.
    As for the dangers, there aren't too many. A few people b0rk their components, but if you follow the guidence given by the many Hexus Gurus in these here forums you wont go far wrong. Nobody's gonna take the p*ss out of you for being a n00b, so dont be afraid to ask even the most seemingly stoopid question. You'll always get a straight answer.
    Last edited by 0iD; 10-06-2004 at 07:41 AM.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    The main selling point for me was getting a 2500+ Barton bought for £60 to run way faster than a 3200+ Barton which at the time cost £200+
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Thanks
    OK, I was asked for a few things to advise me on overclocking :

Motherboard - MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0 Motherboard

Memory - 512MB DDR PC3200 400MHz + Alum. heat spreader (branded Geil)

Heatsink AND CPU - AMD Athlon XP2600 333mhz 512 L2 Cache Barton Retail Boxed Inc Heatsin & fan 3 year warranty

My temperatures are as follows:
    *When first starts up = 35C
    *Left for about half an hour = 39C
    *After playing a not very stressful game = 53C

Also, what do you mean by my CPU being "locked" ?

Thanks
    Also, what do you mean by my CPU being "locked" ?
    A CPU's clock speed is obtained from a multiplication of the front side bus (fsb) speed by a set multiplier.

For example mine is 166mhz x 11.5 = ~1920mhz

On some processors you can change the multiplier, however if it is locked, you either have to unlock it to allow this, and if you can't, your only option is to manipulate the fsb to change the speed. FSB changes can affect other components as well as the CPU, whereas the core multiplier only affects the CPU.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    The CPU frequency is derived from 2 values, the Front side bus of the CPU (in your case 166(commonly called 333 as it is double data rate)) multiplied by a multiplier value which is different for each chip.
    For example a 2500+ Barton runs at 1.83Gig which is derived from 166*11(the multiplier)
    Now. In older chips (about 6 months ago) AMD permitted you to change the multiplier hence allowing you to change the clock speed of the chip. This is probably not the case with yours as it is newer than 6 months so your only overclocking option is to raise the Front side Bus of the CPU. Since your RAM is capable of 200FSB then you have plenty of headroom here. The problem i believe may lie with your heatsink as you have the crappy boxed AMD version. I'll write a bit more in a bit. Have some work to do at present.

Thanks
    Many ppl in here (including myself) have owned the golden sample JIUHB which is double the speed when overclocked ... did I say double, I take it back OVER double the speed when overclocked to its fullest and perfectly stable and that's all for free ... tell me that wasn't worth overclocking.

Thanks
    Are you telling us you got a 1600+ thoroughbred to 2.9gig? Were you using liquid nitrogen?
    Although, if you were using PR ratings then 2.4gig would be a double overclock.
    I'm confused
    Last edited by GreenPiggy; 10-06-2004 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    I overclock to get better performance and save money from buying a more expensive cpu. After a while it becomes an addiction and i end up spending more money buying the right parts to get a high overclock!

ajbrun : u might need to consider better cooling if you're going to overclock your rig

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenPiggy
    Are you telling us you got a 1600+ thoroughbred to 2.9gig? Were you using liquid nitrogen?
    Although, if you were using PR ratings then 2.4gig would be a double overclock.
    I'm confused
    Yes I think you are confusing PR ratings and the fact that it's running at 2.3Ghz with way higher FSB (overall) so it's more like 1700XP to 3400XP (or above).

Thread Information