Thread: good or no good idea?

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks

good or no good idea?

i recently got thios idea, i was thinkin bout twiring up my latop tft screen to my pc, whch has a sh1te monitor atm, and my laptop screen would be purrfect to use, as the resolution acheivable is nice, etc, i saw all theses conversion kits at like 100 quid, but i though, if i connected the laptop and the pc, is there anyway, with both of them running and connected, i could display my pc screen on my laptop from my pc, i dont think this option os in xp, is there any other, program, help would be great guys
    Under Development...

Thanks
    Not sure and never tried but virtual networking software should be able to do something like that but I imagine the screen would lag badly even over a LAN network. You would gain remote control of your main PC from your laptop and you would see your main PC on the laptop screen.

I think the general opinion on the subject is negative from what I have read. If the kits are expensive I dont think it's worth the trouble.

Thanks
    My experience of VNC programs (wich is fairly limited ) is that they arent fast enough for anyway comfortable screen action even over a 100Mb LAN. Microsoft's remote desktop (built into XP) is meant to be good though although I havent got round to trying it myself.

Anyway with any Virtual Networking system you are going to end up using, not just your laptop's screen, but, the laptop's keyboard mouse/touchpad etc.

Thanks
    I also havent seen any way of displaying stuff on a second pc. All ive seen is how to display system stats as a network can cope with that kind of data bandwidth.

Thanks
    If you wanted a proper monitor connection then unless the laptop had VGA in or something of an equal quality then there's no point. I can pretty much guarantee it won't have this.

Using VNC, Remote Desktop or similar over a network will by laggy and pointless - I've used various and they're good for remote administration or thin clients, but nothing more intensive.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks
    ah balls, lol, im still thinkin it would work though, cos i can display my monitor as a second display for my laptop, and my grfx card on my pc is a radeon 9600pro so if a card would have this feature, its proable this one might, i thought a lan cale would be hthe perfect idea, serial or usb? no?, any other ideas?
    oh and the laptop grfx card is an "ati rage mobility - p agp" (wotever that is)
    Last edited by mr_anderson187; 17-06-2004 at 12:24 AM. Reason: more info
    Under Development...

Thread Information