• Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Firelord
    Value RAM that does 2-7-2-2 is very very good!

Usually its like slow ass 2.5-8-3-4 or 3-8-4-4

Good find Apex
    SPD timing = 2.5-7-3-3 (still quick for value ram)

Some times throws a slapper at cas 2 so drop it back to 2.5 and it's fine.

btw 2.9v

Timeings i have tried

2-7-2-2 works from 2.8 upwards 2.7 is a bit flakey

2.5-6-3-3 works from 2.7

3-5-4-3 works from 2.7 but can be a bit flakey

2-5-2-2 does not work at any voltage

All these tested at 200fsb i can not say you will get anything further then that.

When and if i get round to stripping this out and benching proper i will try to go further then 200fsb but at the mo am happy with 2.22ghz

The fact that this ram has done better then the BH5 TwinMoss i had makes me believe that a lot of wats said about ram is utter bs and before you say anything i use to have a epox 8rga+ and a normal xp2500 with the ram would not be stable above 180fsb so when chance came swaped for a abit nf7-s v2 still same 180fsb (while the 8rga+ at m8's was doing fine at 210fsb) so i sold the 2500 to get a 2500xp-m (same again, the chip was now sat at 2ghz to the person i sold it to) so in the end i sold the ram and got the value ram as i could not afford the other stuff and bobs ya uncel i oc'd proper. Now this BH5 ram is supose to be doing ok for the person i sold it to so go figure.

So all in all Corsair value ram gets my thumbs up.

I may swap for some of the specal 3200 that corsair are doing but that will have to wait till things settle down.

Andrew

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    re: "Its like saying why buy a kia when you can have a BMW that does almost the same thing - they don't they are completely different and appeal to very different markets."

Sorry, but that's plain wrong. If the comparison was accurate, then I would agree with you. But you can 'Have your cake and eat it', i.e. %99 of a real BMW for the price of a Kia. And if you had that choice, you would go the cheaper route. Sure, you can't do it with cars (hence why I wouldn't have used your analogy), but you can with RAM.

My PC is a P4@3.5GHz with a 6800GT and 1GB RAM, so hardly an 'average joe' machine. My 'value' choice was Kingmax, which was £60-80 less than top-end OCZ and Corsair, which was what I'd bought in the past. Go check Anandtech for a review of all the top brands, and cheaper Kingmax DDR500 which I bought, side by side. The performance difference in real-world apps/gaming is absolutely miniscule. Hence I saved myself a lot of dosh. And, as was noted above, in most cases they are using the exact same 'BMW' quality parts (i.e. RAM chips.)

Sure, you can descend waaay down the pile, to very cheap, nasty RAM, but I guess I was merely looking for 'value' RAM that gave high performance, and I did manage to find it. I still think the top-end OCZ/Corsair stuff is a waste of money, but I'm happy if others disagree. I was looking to put the money I'd saved to far better performance use - i.e. towards a new graphics card. If 505fps in Quake is just too slow, and you must have 507fps, then go ahead and pay the extra money for overpriced RAM! :-)

And, as noted above, it's the GPU that's becoming the bottleneck these days, which strengthens the case even more.

I realise you may still disagree, but I honestly believe that this whole 'performance RAM at super-high prices' thing has just gone too far. People are getting suckered into buying the stuff because it's shiney, has 'eXtreme' labels on it and is 'pushed' by hardware sites. Remember, in most cases you can find the exact same RAM chips at much cheaper cost. I guess that's my beef, really, so rant mode off. :-)

Cheers,

Nomadd

Thanks
    well 2-2-2-6 at 180fsb is faster than 2.5-3-3-7 at 225fsb in my mobo. Timings make a lot more difference than fsb does..

Thread Information