Thread: Ok, buying a new High-end PC...

Thanks

Talking Ok, buying a new High-end PC...

Ok I need this PC for audio editing/recording and video editing AND gaming.
    My budget is about 2700$US (only computer), ordering on Monday.
    I have these options for the price:

#1: Opetron:
    -Lian-Li PC-V2000
    -Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 /w sound,agp,pci-x, etc..
    -Dual opetron 246 (2.0ghz)
    -SPI Sparkle FSP460-PFN-EPS 460W
    -1GB 2x512, DDR500 Crosair
    -Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample (ULTRA2400)
    -Western Digital 74GB Raptor S-ATA 10,000RPM
    -No OS (Win2000Pro supports 2 cpu's?)

#2: Athlon64 939: (400$ cheaper)
    -Lian-Li PC-V2000
    -MSI Neo2 Platinum
    -Athlon64 3800+ Retail
    -Aspire 520W
    -1GB 2x512, DDR400 OCZ (top of the line)
    -Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample (ULTRA2400)
    -Western Digital 74GB Raptor S-ATA 10,000RPM
    -If I buy this I also have money for Z-680 speakers, another 74GB 10,000rpm HD and I can upgrade for the FX-53
    for the same price as the Dual Opetron..

#3: Xeon:
    -Your suggestions...

Thanks
    • BenW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Dual SATA2
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 3500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB Crucial DDR
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Samsung 8MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb
    Might want to concider 2GB RAM?

Out of the 2 you posted i would go for the 2nd one but i think you'll need the extra 74GB for video encoding etc.

I think intel are better at the encoding though so concider a 3.6Ghz LGA775 or 3.8 if they're out yet

Thanks
    I know a few people who arent impressed with the Raptor drives and you can get 3 or 4 times the storage for same cash with normal SATA drives.

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tphss
    Ok I need this PC for audio editing/recording and video editing AND gaming.
    Well, I'd say hold fire on all of these configs. :-)

P4's are VERY solid on audio/video, and you can get a Northwood P4 3.2 for half what that Athlon 64 would cost you. It'll also likely overclock to 3.6+. That'll easily handle all of your encoding needs - I know, I run such a system. A decent sound card would also help - I use an Audigy 2; much better than the on-board stuff on most PC mobos. The 6800GT is also a nice card (I run one) for gaming.

Of your choices (if you insist! :-)), I'd say the Athlon 64 system is the way to go, but it depends on the level of what you really want to do? If it's just home-based stuff, buy the Athlon - or save a bomb and buy an Intel P4 based system instead, as it'll easily do the job. If you are doing your stuff at a Pro level, then I'd maybe look at Xeon(s) and back it up with very, very good dedicated video and audio hardware - i.e. stuff that will take all the load of the CPU and do most of the grunt work. Have a look at which hardware works best/fastest with the audio/video packages you are looking to run (oh, and CPU for that matter, as some of them may have tweaks for certain processor families.)

EDIT: Agree with the comments on the Raptor's: overpriced and undersized. Check the 'real-world' scores in the reviews on Anadtech. If you are doing Pro level stuff, again consider a really decent disk subsystem (hardware RAID or similar.)

Nomadd
    Last edited by Nomadd; 05-09-2004 at 11:30 AM.
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadd
    Well, I'd say hold fire on all of these configs. :-)

P4's are VERY solid on audio/video, and you can get a Northwood P4 3.2 for half what that Athlon 64 would cost you. It'll also likely overclock to 3.6+. That'll easily handle all of your encoding needs - I know, I run such a system. A decent sound card would also help - I use an Audigy 2; much better than the on-board stuff on most PC mobos. The 6800GT is also a nice card (I run one) for gaming.

Of your choices (if you insist! :-)), I'd say the Athlon 64 system is the way to go, but it depends on the level of what you really want to do? If it's just home-based stuff, buy the Athlon - or save a bomb and buy an Intel P4 based system instead, as it'll easily do the job. If you are doing your stuff at a Pro level, then I'd maybe look at Xeon(s) and back it up with very, very good dedicated video and audio hardware - i.e. stuff that will take all the load of the CPU and do most of the grunt work. Have a look at which hardware works best/fastest with the audio/video packages you are looking to run (oh, and CPU for that matter, as some of them may have tweaks for certain processor families.)

EDIT: Agree with the comments on the Raptor's: overpriced and undersized. Check the 'real-world' scores in the reviews on Anadtech. If you are doing Pro level stuff, again consider a really decent disk subsystem (hardware RAID or similar.)

Nomadd

Ok, you have some good points.

So can you maybe help me with suggestions on a Dual Xeon based PC or a Single P4 based pc for my needs?

Thanks!

Thanks

So can you maybe help me with suggestions on a Dual Xeon based PC or a Single P4 based pc for my needs?

Thanks!
    I to have a Gaming P4 system, and my 3GHz is doing 3.8! What do you want a socket 478 or the new one? If you go for the new one you will ned a 16x vid card.....

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks

Thanks!
    Well, it's your 'needs' that I was highlighting in my post - you haven't really stated them in enough detail. :-) And the price difference for the above two systems is huge, and dual Xeons may not be the right direction for you.

I know a few people who do video/audio editing at the Pro level. They have hardware and software that is built as a complete setup to do the job to a very high standard, day in, day out. They use top end audio cards with breakout boxes to connect all their gear to (I have the basic Audigy2, not the one with the breakout box). Like wise, they have graphics hardware cards that are add-in boards dedicated to MPEG2/4 processing in real time. They also run RAID disk setups, for streaming speed. If I was going to build a system around such hardware with dual Xeons (i.e. a big, big bucks system) I'd be doing a ton of research and requirements definition first. There are tons of books/sites out there dedicated to this type of processing - have a look at some of the Audio and Video editing sections of PCW mag. as a start. And follow the old adage: choose you software first, then choose your hardware to run it.

What I'm really trying to say is that a basic Northwood P4 (3.0/3.2) will overclock to high heaven and coupled with a good sound card and video card will more than be capable, all for a cheap price. Unless, of course, you really do want to go for a pro or semi-pro rig. Me, I've a 3.2 P4 Northwood, an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, 1 GB of RAM, an Audigy2, and a 6800GT. It's great for gaming and basic audio/video work - but then I'm not a Pro. Best of all, these parts aren't 'bleeding' edge, so they all work rock-solid, and are quite cheap (i.e. not highest speed Athlon 64 or Xeon priced.) Ditto if you went for a Athlon 64 3000/3200 - they are nice systems that will do the job, as people have mentioned, and all quite cheaply. But you do keep mentioning dual Xeon systems - and that's a completely different ball-game. So the question is, do you really need that sort of kit and it's expense? That's all I'd question. If not, then save youself a bundle. If you do, do a lot more research, starting with selecting the packages you want to run.

Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thread Information