Thread: Soundcards??

Thanks

Soundcards??

This may be an issue with Far Cry, but in game there's a bit of lag between an action, i.e. firing a round off, and getting the actual sound for it. I think I've pretty much sorted it now, but it has gotten me thinking about getting a "proper" sound card, rather than making do with the inbuilt sound on the mobo.

Is there a significant increase in sound quality, and is it worth it in general?? Just a query as I don't really spend a lot of time playing around with any music software etc, but do use my PC a lot to play MP3s when I'm working ... in addition to the odd spot of gaming .

If so is there any card that'd suit me better than any others.

Cheers again for the help.
    Sex, breakfast of champions

Abit AV8 3rd Eye
    Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.24GHz
    2048Mb Corsair XMS3200
    74Gb Western Digital 10000rpm Raptor
    200Gb Western Digital SATA
    Hiper Type-R 580W Modular PSU
    7900 GS+

Thanks
    It all depends on how much sound matters to you, and what sort of speakers you've got, really, because speakers can have as big an effect on sound quality as the cards.

There's no doubt that unless your motherboard is very new you'll find an immediate and noticeable increase in sound quality no matter what soundcard you spring for.

In games a soundcard that supports EAX (preferably the latest version) can improve gaming experiences enormously, especially in FPSs, where sound can give you big clues as to where the next threat is coming from. The sound improvement in MP3s is more of a matter of opinion - there's no doubt there's a huge difference, but its up to you whether its worth it. (I think most would say it is though!)

I would personally recommend the Creative line of soundcards, because they are by far the most popular, have plenty of support, are good quality, and have soundcards aimed at people who just want to play and listen to music. Most other cards I find are inferior or are aimed at professionals.

Thanks
    I've got the Hercules XPS 2.100 speakers ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal..._speakers.html ), although the motherboard isn't cutting edge, it isn't too bad. Just a thought really, got an X800 Pro recently, and have urges to spend all the rest of next months pay already .

I was thinking about the Audigy 2 card though, which I notice you've got. Cheers for the heads-up though.
    Sex, breakfast of champions

Abit AV8 3rd Eye
    Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.24GHz
    2048Mb Corsair XMS3200
    74Gb Western Digital 10000rpm Raptor
    200Gb Western Digital SATA
    Hiper Type-R 580W Modular PSU
    7900 GS+

Thread Information