Thread: Some basic SFF questions

Thanks

Some basic SFF questions

I'm just starting to take an interest in assembling a small form factor computer and maybe someone could answer a couple of very basic questions.

From my very short initial bit of research it seems that, for an XPC-size SFF computer, you can't buy the case and the motherboard separately. Is this so? I've only looked at half-a-dozen or so retailers but none of them seem to sell the motherboards separately. But I'm guessing that someone must sell them, or else how would you replace a duff mobo?

For mini-itx size computers it seems that the cases and the motherboards can be bought separately, but in this country (UK) you are limited to VIA mobos with embedded VIA processors, or the Insight P4. Does anyone know of a retailer who can offer other mini-itx mobos? I've seen one called an ibase MB870 or something that had half-decent graphics but no-one in this country seems to sell it.
    Last edited by Ceefer; 15-10-2004 at 08:50 PM. Reason: sp
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

MAS
    When I say rice...
    Thanks
    Generally the boards and cases aren't sold together because there's no official standard for SFF board dimensions, so they vary between manufacturers. You cant usually buy the motherboards separately; when you can they're often refurbished ones that have come from faulty systems. If your motherboard is faulty you either have to RMA the unit or, if it's out of warranty, buy a new barebones system.

M-Itx I'm not so sure about; they only have very limited uses IMO.

Thanks
    You wont find them and its never a good idea to try building one either due to cooling specs etc. the xpc range by shuttle is a proven design!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav2000uk
    You wont find them and its never a good idea to try building one either due to cooling specs etc. the xpc range by shuttle is a proven design!
    I would have thought that would have been a very GOOD reason to try building one! I'm scheming up my first modding project which, on paper, involves putting a SFF motherboard in a rather unusual case. If I can find a retailer who sells SFF motherboards, that is. Mini-itx boards are just too limited in their graphics capabilities, and micro-atx are just too wide for what I have in mind.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen

Thanks
    a sff pc is on my shopping list atm, and i have found places that sell the motherboards and cases separately, such as the mini-itx.com store and ultim8pc.
    they tend to be quite expensive, but quite different too.

still waiting for nano-itx though, eta: q4 2004

Thanks
    As far as I can see the only motherboards sold by www.mini-itx.com and www.ultim8pc.com are mini-itx, too weak for my project. I'm looking for a motherboard of the same size as goes into Shuttle SFF computers - does that size of motherboard have an official name? I'm amazed that no-one sells them.

Thanks
    You CAN buy Shuttle SFF mobos, not cheap mind, pop over to www.gemma.co.uk

Thanks
    Thanks Proplus, I would never have found that. In fact even on the Gemma website it was hard to find the XPC motherboards.
    Yes, they look a wee bit pricey, but a good selection. Definitely ordering one.

Registered+
    Thanks
    If you dont want the hastles and worrys of thermals, then buy a pre-built system.

If the mini-itx is too weak, then one option is the shuttle MB's which are a custom size and not cheap.

Perhaps your best option is the Antec Aria. There are a couple of reviews around and its generally meant to be good, but has some issues. It would enable you to make a much higher spec system than the mini-itx Via boards. The case takes standard mATX, of which there are plenty of cheap nForce based boards around. Stick in a mobile Barton at low voltage and you shouldnt have any problems. Its a bit bigger than the typical shuttles, but thats the compromise for flexibility and the industry standard MB.

Scott

Thanks
    As in my original post, my project is to put a small motherboard, with half-decent graphics capabilities, in an unusual case which I am building myself. So there's no way I'm buying a pre-built system - where's the fun in that?

I emailed ibase-europe about their MB870 mini-itx motherboard which is socket 478 and has Radeon 9100 graphics built-in. They said sure, they could supply these motherboards, but then when I asked them for a price and where do I send the money etc they didn't reply. I suspect they don't sell to the public in general.

Thanks
    • Tifosi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 Venice 3200 s939
      • Memory:
      • 2x 1GB DDR400 Corsair XMS
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2.5" 64GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce G210T / Geforce 7800GT
      • PSU:
      • ?
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V1110
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 12.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM
    I'm about to get an Iwill ZPC from Scan today's only when they come on offer.

Hopefully
    £235ish
    with

512mb ram
    cdrw/dvd
    Celeron 2.4ghz

and on top i'm after a 40gb momentum drive from seagate which should also be on offer on the same day.

only problem IGP is poor and no tv-out, but i think i will get an avermedia keylite.

Will make a nice redhat server and looks great.

Thread Information