Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Athlon64 performance

Thanks
    or that guy with £4500 to spend

Registered+
    Thanks
    Aria do not have a price up for the athlon 64. They only have OPTERON prices up, this is a server/workstation ( something for Pro-server hosters perhaps?) chip and so costs a lot more than the athlon 64 will.

As for the overclocked 9800pro he posted stock scores as well. With both stock CPU and card he still got over 20000 3d marks, and this is the SLOWEST and CHEAPEST athlon 64 there will be, should be about the same price as the current XP3200 and drop very quickly if we know AMD!

The official lauch for the chip is sept 23(or thereabouts) although they may not be available in quantity for a while.

Currently Windows AMD64 is pre beta and hoped for in Q1 2004, there are several linuxes available, I think Mandrake, red hat and as mentioned, SUSE.

I am in agreement with st3v3, as discussed in another thread the athlonFX in its 939 pin socket is the one to get in Q1

Thanks
    Me is confuzzled about all this Opteron / Ath64 goings on. What's the score then, I thought it was all settled on S940 and now there's another socket or two as well. Is the Ath64 the Overclockers CPU and the Opteron the Workstation / server kit?

I'll have to do more reading it looks like.

Cheers,

MM

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think the setup is much like this:-
    • AthlonXP --> Althon64
    • AthlonMP --> Opteron
    I could be wrong but it certainly looks like that from my point of view

Registered+
    Thanks
    Actually it could be said its more like

Athlon64=Duron
    AthlonFX=AthlonXP
    Opteron=AthlonMP

Thats right those amazing performance figures linked to at the start of this thread are for the new Duron!!

The biggest diffrence to the older set up is that the Athlon64 (duron) will at first be the largest seller rather than the AthlonFX (AthlonXP) as is normal, however by about Q3 2004 it appears that the AthlonFX will be the volume part on S939 @ 0.9 micron.

The only difference between the AthlonFX and the Athlon64 with be dual channel memory ie. AthlonFX will have twice the bandwidth.

The only difference between the AthlonFX and the1xx Opteron will be memory type ECC ram for the Opteron (more stability for servers) and normal ram for the AthlonFX (Faster speeds available and lower latency at the same clock ie higher performance )

Of course all the chips offer much more than the predecessors and I don't think you will catch AMD refering to the Athlon64 as the new duron!!

The situation is complicated by the fact that AMD may launch an AthlonFX this year in S940 this is a rebadged Opteron and will require ECC ram and will be more expensive and slower than the real AthlonFX launched in Q1.

Thanks
    Looks good but how much is it going to set you back compaired to a barton or pentium 4 system

Thanks
    Originally posted by vortigern_red
    Actually it could be said its more like

Athlon64=Duron
    AthlonFX=AthlonXP
    Opteron=AthlonMP
    Thanks for this bit of info, was wondering what user level the new chips would be.

Thanks
    Umm, to be honest, I don't think the Athlon64 is going to be the new Duron class chip when they are first introduced.

I think there is a better chance that the XPs are shifted to take that position as the production of the 64/FX ramp up.

That might change with time, once they decide to completely end the XP line.. But I don't see that happening until maybe another 6 months.

(Just guessing mind ya)

Thread Information