• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: AMD vs. INTEL?

Quote Originally Posted by ciscii View Post
    Hey guys. After some consideration (Answers from here and other forums), I've come to the conclusion of going with something like this.
    ASUS Z87-PRO, Socket-1150
    be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM - 730W
    Be quiet! Shadow rock 2
    Intel Core i7-4770K
    Corsair DDR3 PC2133 16GB kit CL10 VENGEANCE 1.5v
    Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed
    ASUS GeForce GTX 770 OC - 4GB GDDR5
    Samsung 840 EVO SSD - 250GB
    BENQ XL2411T 24"

- What you think? =)
    I would get an R9 280X over a GTX770.

What are the other forums you asked on?? I post on quite a few myself.

Edit!!

Standard 1600MHZ or 1866MHZ DDR3 is more than enough too,as you are using a discrete card.

The M500 240GB is cheaper and a MLC drive.

A Seasonic G 650W or one of the XFX PSUs,is what I would get.

The motherboard is probably OTT TBH - most of the motherboard functionality is in the CPU with Haswell including part of the voltage regulation.
    Haswell like IB is more CPU dependent with regards to overclocking and cooling is usually more the limiting factor than the motherboard.

These motherboards seems to overclock well:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/mo...dget-friendly/
    http://www.eteknix.com/asus-z87-c-z8...ard-review/13/

Both motherboards are under £100. TBH,any of the decent £80 to £100 should be fine.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 06-02-2014 at 10:04 AM.

2. Received thanks from:

MrRockliffe (06-02-2014)

Thanks

Simple rule : AMD-LOW price, less performance INTEL-Higher price, usually more performance.

Registered+
    Thanks

I must say AMD are the price/performance kings, but Intel/Nvidia aren't far behind. As it rests right now, the 8320 CPU is the price/performance king, where the 280X comes in for the GPU price/performance winner.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

I think Shivy011 is closer to the mark than Arenix here, AMD often offers better price vs performance.

You cannot generalise saying intel better but more expensive, because intel is the manufacture not the cpu, remember you need to look at model not just make, same goes for graphics cards and to an extent motherboards too
    simple eg a Intel Celeron G1830 is far cheaper and has lower performance than an AMD FX8320
    It's these sort of generalisations that many laptop and pc manufactures/brands rely on, all too often I've heard the sales pitch/marketing "it's got an intel processor" or "it's got nvidia graphics" on their own with out model details these things are just meaningless sales pitch.

Figure out your budget and usage and build to that, it's the one main tenant of pc building that has been true for as long as I can remember.

I'd agree with CAT that you don't generally need to go overboard on the motherboard, personally you don't want to go too bargain bucket ether.
    You have to ask yourself a couple of questions, how long do I plan to keep it? and am I going to over clock it? and how much overclocking do I want to do?
    One issue with reviews is they don't answer how well a motherboard will hold up when overclocked over time, you may well be able to get 4.5ghz on a 4770k on the Z87-K, but will it be able to sustain that 2 years from now?
    You'll probably be pushing the 4phase VRM on that board rather hard so I'd personally opt on the side of caution and go for the Z87-A with the 8phase VRM, now an 8phase VRM isn't always better than a 4phase VRM but generally the current load is more spread out so each phase will be under less strain.
    The Z87 Pro is another step up with a 12phase vrm, however that could be a step too far it will all depend on how much overclocking you are thinking about.

if your not considering overclocking then the z87-k is going to be fine and I'd also consider looking at the Xeon E3-1240 which is basically the same cpu as the i7 4770k but without the overclocking and on ondie graphics but at a better price point of around £200
    I'm sure CAT will jump in with a good motherboard and xeon cpu combo, I'm surprised he didn't already.

Other than that I'd also sugest looking at an i5 as well, as there's still little need for an i7 and money saved ther could be put into better areas, such as gpu, monitor, heck even high end gaming mouse and keyboard shouldn't be overlooked.
    You might not need them but it's one of the things you shouldn't overlook if you've got the budget for it.

mangekyoumusa

It Depends on what you're willing to do with your pc,
    If it's just gaming, I'd go with AMD and get a good gpu
    f it's gaming plus work and that, I'd go with Intel and get a decent gpu, like 760

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information