Thread: Can I replace the CPU heatsink fan?

Thanks

Can I replace the CPU heatsink fan?

Ive started to look into ways of quietening my pc down, I was wondering if I am able to replace the fan on top of heatsink for my CPU? The heatsink (or at least the fan on top of it) is a coolermaster 60mm fan. Looking at the Coolermaster website the heatsink that looks like mine blows about 21 CFM and outputs about 30dBs. I cant find many 60mm fans around that would get that airflow but get alot quiter at the same time.

Would using a 60mm to 80mm Fan Adaptor help getting a quieter fan. Also, would using such an adapter reduce the airflow from an 80mm fan? If so how much?

Finally, stupid question I know, does the fan on top of a cpu heatsink need to be blowing air ONTO the heatsink or sucking air OFF of the heatsink.

Thankyou for any help

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YorkieBen
    Ive started to look into ways of quietening my pc down, I was wondering if I am able to replace the fan on top of heatsink for my CPU? The heatsink (or at least the fan on top of it) is a coolermaster 60mm fan. Looking at the Coolermaster website the heatsink that looks like mine blows about 21 CFM and outputs about 30dBs. I cant find many 60mm fans around that would get that airflow but get alot quiter at the same time.

Would using a 60mm to 80mm Fan Adaptor help getting a quieter fan. Also, would using such an adapter reduce the airflow from an 80mm fan? If so how much?

Finally, stupid question I know, does the fan on top of a cpu heatsink need to be blowing air ONTO the heatsink or sucking air OFF of the heatsink.

Thankyou for any help
    A 60-80mm adapter will allow you to attach a bigger fan to the heatsink which can give the same flow rate for less RPMs so less noise. Also because of the adapter it will get rid of the dead spot that is normally in the middle of fans (TMD fans have relatively no dead spot).

Most heatsinks should have the fan blowing down onto the heatsink but there are some exceptions. If you haven't fitted a highly expensive aftermarket heatsink then 99% sure that it should be blowing down.

Thread Information