Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Building A Gaming Rig - A Living Document. (A HEXUS Project)

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    I would have suggested stuff like optimising tools but that really strays into tweaking/optimising your gaming rig.

Maybe your next guide then Vaul

Thanks
    • GAteKeeper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67-GD5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • ~44TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-65
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U3415W & 2405fpw
      • Internet:
      • 45Mb vDSL
    Looking good so far Vaul.

No mention of Watercooling though. I know its not fully mainstream yet *BUT* i feel it is due a mention even if its a dismissle as being too dangerous/expensive.

GAteKeeper
    Keeper of the Gates of Hell

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GAteKeeper
    Looking good so far Vaul.

No mention of Watercooling though. I know its not fully mainstream yet *BUT* i feel it is due a mention even if its a dismissle as being too dangerous/expensive.

GAteKeeper
    I agree with you mate, some kind of mention is due, I don't know if vaul'd want to write about the whole thing or just talking about the pre built kits.
    Last edited by r1zeek; 21-12-2004 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    Ok, added OCZ to the list of reliable PSUs and DiamondMax 10s now get a mention in Hard Drives. Before I make more changes - the 3000+ or 3200+ for the sweet spot of AMD Socket 939 CPUs? The 3000+ is cheaper and overclocks to the same level, but the 3200+ isn't much more and if not overclocking gives you a bit more grunt at stock.

What do we think?
    The fact is that the 3200+ needs less FSB OC'ing to reach any speed. That must make for:

a) An easier OC
    b) A cooler OC

The 3000+ is better on pure bangs per buck, but the 3200+ gets you a worthwhile improvement for little extra outlay. Unless you are using extreme cooling - but if you can afford that you should be using an FX-55 anyway.

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorsson
    The 3000+ is better on pure bangs per buck, but the 3200+ gets you a worthwhile improvement for little extra outlay. Unless you are using extreme cooling - but if you can afford that you should be using an FX-55 anyway.
    Yes, that's why the 3500+ is also in the picture here because it has more power at stock, but then as already mentioned (I think) to get a decent clock from it you'd need extreme cooling, and that's not very common in gaming rigs.

The situation is the same with most gaming rigs though, if you can afford it, get the fastest (within reason) that you can get, unless you are absolutely bonkers for overclocking

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by r1zeek
    Yes, that's why the 3500+ is also in the picture here because it has more power at stock, but then as already mentioned (I think) to get a decent clock from it you'd need extreme cooling, and that's not very common in gaming rigs.

The situation is the same with most gaming rigs though, if you can afford it, get the fastest (within reason) that you can get, unless you are absolutely bonkers for overclocking
    The 3500+ can do 2.6ghz, maybe more on decent air cooling, that's stock FX-55 speeds, and blazingly fast, but the 3200+ will probably do that as well, so I suppose its how deep your pockets are and how much you are prepared to overclock to secure a bargain.

Thanks
    Mike - Both sort of goes against what I'm trying to do - I want recommendations, if someone wants to buy a new CPU, recommending both doesn't really solve the problem.
    My point was that you could possibly add something like a fourth section. So along with Cheap as Chips, The Sweet Spot, and Pricey Perfection, in some cases (such as CPU and motherboard) a fourth section might be appropiate i.e. the choice for overclockers/enthusiasts.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    There's been alot of posts on what Winchester is best, check out this thread, see the overclocking results for yourself.

Banned
    Thanks
    Ok, sounds good mate. I'll add a 4th section and a recomendation later tonight.

Suggestions for the CPU, PSU, GPU and Case then please lads, that appeals specificaly to the overclocker.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Re - watercooling. I dont think it should have any mention in this thread. There is just too much information and it just wouldnt fit in here, maybe a seperate thread. Afterall this is aimed at, i suppose, people building there first gaming pc - watercooling is a bit like the deep end of the swimmingpool. All the watercooling info anyone will ever need.

Cpu - winnie 3000+ imo. I dont belive there is enough difference to the 3200+ for the extra cost, only get it if your limited on fsb ability.

Case - nothing cheap and tacky. No lights blidning you. It just looks crap.

Thanks
    When overclocking, the cooling aspect of a case becomes far more important.

As for the overclocking CPU, I'd say the Winchester 3000+ - it should be able to reach the same sort of speeds as the 3200+, and is cheaper.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Banned
    Thanks
    3000+ it is. I think it should be the Sweet Spot and Overclockers choice. Its a bargain which ever way you look at it really.

Thanks
    Hey great thread Vaul

Very informative, helped me with a gaming rig i'm building for my little bro for xmas, maybe you could do a bit on monitors?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Weng
    Hey great thread Vaul

Very informative, helped me with a gaming rig i'm building for my little bro for xmas, maybe you could do a bit on monitors?
    Thanks for the kind words.

Glad to have helped!

I will be adding Monitors, RAM, Input Devices (Gaming Mice, Keyboards, etc) and anything else that we think is worth adding as time goes by. I want this to be a long term project, and once finished, it will continue to be updated so its never outdated information.

Thanks
    Personally I would say that the 3200+ is better if you can afford the slight increase.
    2.6GHZ (if your cpu will do it) is 9x289 (3000+) or 10 x260 (3200+). Imho you are more likely to get RAM that will run 260 than 289 at the same timings & RAM performance is what ultimately will hold back overall system performance.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    Thanks for the kind words.

Glad to have helped!

I will be adding Monitors, RAM, Input Devices (Gaming Mice, Keyboards, etc) and anything else that we think is worth adding as time goes by. I want this to be a long term project, and once finished, it will continue to be updated so its never outdated information.
    Monitors will be a good subject, one thing that is often overlooked when building a rig (well, for me anyway )

For input device, you have to have a decent wired optical mouse, (or the MX7000 (iirc)) a normal keyboard (none of that Z-Boards stuff) and a controller (such as a PS2 controller) or other game controller.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information