Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just bought my first RGB product!

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: Just bought my first RGB product!

Even for keyboards I have zero interest in lighting. I can find home row blindfolded and type accordingly. As you alluded to earlier, Saracen, I regard glass/windowed panels and RGB to be the PCMR version of go-faster stripes, I'd much rather put that money under the hood. But each to his/her own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    As you alluded to earlier, Saracen, I regard glass/windowed panels and RGB to be the PCMR version of go-faster stripes, I'd much rather put that money under the hood. But each to his/her own.
    I think these days, if you're looking at the more expensive end of the market, its almost impossible to avoid RGB. Everything seems to come with adapters to connect all the RGB stuff together so it can be synched... its all quite... gaudy?!
    I dunno, I dont like it, but its there, and there is nothing I can do about it really.

Saying that my PC case does have big windows on it and I LOVE it

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I need background lighting to be not too high, or I get a headache, but not too low or, yep, you guessed, I get a headache.
    Oh, likewise. I had to drop the brightness on my Iiyama to about 5%, as it was too bright. Same with the RGB peripherals and everything... but that's again the point - RGB is about giving people options, even if that means disabling them all.
    I think of it more like a car dashboard, but where my Octavia instruments are all green, you may prefer the red & blue of a Golf.

While I don't need massive amounts of light, I do find my room limiting in terms of placing lights to avoid shadows. That's where the backlit keys come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Everything seems to come with adapters to connect all the RGB stuff together so it can be synched... its all quite... gaudy?!
    If done badly, yes.
    But again, you don't have to use it, either.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by Ngt View Post
    How many people actually change the colour of their RGB setup once they've initially set it all up? Surely it's easier to just get something in that particular colour if so inclined. Unless that colour is some unpopular shade of yellow.
    It's cheaper to offer one RGB SKU than a million different colours - even if you save a few pennies by only having the LED's you use, there's the extra costs of having to produce and hold stock of every possible shade. With RGB, one box on the shelf can be exactly what the person buying it wants

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Oh, likewise. I had to drop the brightness on my Iiyama to about 5%, as it was too bright. Same with the RGB peripherals and everything... but that's again the point - RGB is about giving people options, even if that means disabling them all.
    I think of it more like a car dashboard, but where my Octavia instruments are all green, you may prefer the red & blue of a Golf.

While I don't need massive amounts of light, I do find my room limiting in terms of placing lights to avoid shadows. That's where the backlit keys come in.

Hmmm. Good points there on, first, disabling, and second, car dashboards.

Perhaps I should amend my comment to a slightly more accurate stance :-

- I wouldn't buy product A over an otherwise identical product B just because A is RGB
    - I value RGB capability at £0 in a buying decision. Having that option would not interest me at all, and £0 is what I'd pay extra for it.
    - Having RGB would be a negative unless I can disable it, in every PC-related scenario I have yet thought off.
    - It would very possibly be a big enough negative to get to be buy an otherwise comparable alternate, unless I could disable it.

As for car dashboards, point taken BUT .... I maintain it's a different scenario.

By definition, many of us drive cars (and bikes, vans, lorries, etc) at night, where ambient natural lighting is minimzl or zero. You have to be able to see at least some dash controls and readouts for safety reasons, and because the outside is dark, overall interior lighrs aren't a good idea.

Therefore, illuminated controls are a necessary, perhaps even life-saving feature.

Given that, I plead guilty to having bought car stereos with switchable lighting because I didn't want a glaring colour clash.

I even, about 20cyears ago, had a knock-down argument with my insurance company after some thieving toerag nicked the (high-end) stereo from my M3.The insurance company wanted to replace the stolen unit with what they SAID was a direct repacement.

I pointed out that the stolen unit had user-selectable illumination, including a close match to the orangy-red of by car. The "direct replacement" was electric blue ONLY. As I had bought the original because, of suitably high-end units it was the best colour match, NO WAY ON EARTH were they putting a blue-only unit in as a like-for-like replacement.

After, well, let's call it a polite form of eye-gouging grudge match of letter exchanges, I told them to :-

a) find an accrptably high-end unit witha colour match, or
    b) provide me with a cash equivalent so that I could, or
    c) I was going to install my choice of altetnative in the event of no mutually acceptably agreed option with 14 days, and then see them in small claims court over the cost.

They agreed to my suggested alternative.

So yeah, in THAT environment, colour match mattered to me. But, I had no alternative but to have dash illumination, and BMW provided no user-selectable colours .... or I'd have picked a blue or green, not orangy-red.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

As for car dashboards, point taken BUT .... I maintain it's a different scenario.
    Whilst the dashboard illumination itself is indeed a necessity, it's again about having the option of colour - Same as you have those ISOFIX things for the option of installing a child seat, or heated seats, air-con, sat-nav, or all the other 'optional' extras, many of which now come as standard. In fact, one of my elder friends was quite upset that roll-down windows aren't available on cars any more!

One of the jobs I've done a good number of times is changing dash light colours for people who "adore everything about this car, except the horrid" red/green/orange/blue/whatever dash illumination... If people could, at the flick of a switch, set their illumination up the way we can on PCs, they'd sell those cars like hot cakes!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post

One of the jobs I've done a good number of times is changing dash light colours for people who "adore everything about this car, except the horrid" red/green/orange/blue/whatever dash illumination... If people could, at the flick of a switch, set their illumination up the way we can on PCs, they'd sell those cars like hot cakes!
    It takes all sorts.

Personally, IF my car had that ability, I'd use it, but it would be a very long way indeed down the list of factors I evaluate to decide whether to buy this car or that.

An interesting (to me, at least) question is .... how much extra would I pay to have that option on the car I picked?

That is to say, suppose I decided on a new M4. Two otherwise identical models are available, one with the orangy-red dash colour I don't much like, and the other with a fully user-selectable dash colour of an RGB type.

If the cost was trivial, I'd buy the selectable one. But if the price was nominally increased, at what point would I settle for orangy-red despite not much liking it?

Dunno. It'll take some thought.

But my initial feeling is :-

£5 - get the colour-changer.
    £1000 - oh, hell no. Orangy-red it is.
    £100? Getting tricky. But probably not.
    £50? Very possibly.

And bear in mind, that's deciding whether to select a £50 or £100 option on a purchase already costing about £50k. I would, and have, spent thousands on leather interior, and even changing the wheel design, and several thousand more on sound and security systems.

But £100 to change dash colour? Doubtful.

It certainly would have VERY small impact on whether I bought the car or not.

But as we've already agreed, whatever floats our individual boats. I'm sure there are many that regard a grand just to have adifferent alloy wheel dedign as ridiculous.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

It takes all sorts.
    Actually swapped another someone's dash LEDs for them just last night. Their original MR2 dash was too orange and they wanted red...

An interesting (to me, at least) question is .... how much extra would I pay to have that option on the car I picked?
    How much does it add to the price of a mouse, do you think?

But as we've already agreed, whatever floats our individual boats. I'm sure there are many that regard a grand just to have adifferent alloy wheel dedign as ridiculous.
    I have been around the Custom/Cruiser motorcycle scene for many a year and seen how much people spend on very tiny mods that make absolutely no difference to the vehicle performance and only affect the appearance of the thing once the owner actually points out this massively expensive cosmetic add-on.
    Same for mobile phones and all the different cases (including design-your-own), although I have less of an umbilical attachment to mine than most, it seems.

I see all this RGB and case window stuff the same way, really. While I may or may not personally like or agree with any given end results, I do appreciate and will 'Devil's Advocately' defend peoples' need and importance to have options in how their stuff looks... and things like RGB, swappable thumb rests, interchangable keycaps and so on are far easier solutions than leaving it to the end user and their questionable Dremelling skills!!

I feel a strong lack of that same appreciation among the Hexite crowd, though...

Registered+
    Thanks

I was never too into the RGB products. I have an RGB keyboard but usually just have on a solid colour which changes every few weeks if I get bored. I did fall for a sale on the NZXT Hue+ kit which I have installed in my PC and I've got to admit I quite like the colours chasing after each other , hopefully wont lead to a full RGB addiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information