Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ram failure, replacement advice needed.

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Oops, forget to quote you, "this" is this "Corsair XMS3200C2PT TwinX 2 3-2-6 @ DDR400 - £114.56"

[honest mode] That's the problem when you're spamming elsewhere and posting at the same time [/honest mode]

Thanks
    lol, ill forgive you because of your use of a Red Dwarf reference. That is quite useful. Thanks.

Thanks
    I have fond the Geil Ultra X for the very low price of £136.29 and then i found out that they use TCCD chips which got me very excited.

However i have now discovered that they have moved onto using BH-5 chips instead. I suppose this explains the low prices. BH-5 is still good but im not sure if ill get the high clock speeds i want.
    Any suggestions?

Does anybody know any cheap TCCD ram? Theres some patriot stuff for about £172 but this is too much for me. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Infidel
    I have fond the Geil Ultra X for the very low price of £136.29 and then i found out that they use TCCD chips which got me very excited.

However i have now discovered that they have moved onto using BH-5 chips instead. I suppose this explains the low prices. BH-5 is still good but im not sure if ill get the high clock speeds i want.
    Any suggestions?

Does anybody know any cheap TCCD ram? Theres some patriot stuff for about £172 but this is too much for me. Thanks.
    BH5 will give very good timings and high speeds, DDR 500 2-2-2 etc.. something that TCCD can't do, the OCZ VX is based on CH5/BH5 but you will need a booster or a DFI NF4 Mobo

With the 'unofficial' arrival of Winbond, i can see all the ram producers moving their top end ram onto BH5.

And some the recent Geil Ultra X, people have been getting, containing TCCD, have not been overclocking that well.

If you want TCCD, the good stuff get some GSKILL

Try looking here

Memory
    Last edited by owen1978; 03-04-2005 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks
    I intend to volt mod my motherboard to supply higher voltages to the ram with less fluctuation but i wont be getting a booster.

I was under the impression BH-5 requires much higher voltage and gets very hot. I have very pooor case flow so this isnt good.

Ive checked out all those deals already, they arent bad but i think im going towards something like this If only they were in stock. Its TCCD and reviews very well, i cant be bothered to link to them but bascially they have easily got them up to around ddr550-570 which is more than enough for me, and i wont have to drop below cas 2.5 anyway or let them get too hot.

For my intel rig, geared towards video encoding, latency isnt as important as high clock speeds.This is why its a risk choosing any ram rated at only ddr400 anyway.

However ill do a little more research into BH-5 anyway. Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    BH5 requires volts upto 3.4 at least to get high speeds with tight timings, they do get warm, but not any hotter than TCCD having 2.9v pumped through it. But that PQI turbo is v good and you wont need to mod your board, i think your not supposed to pump more than 2.9v into tccd anyway (correct me if im wrong anyone).

BTW I though you had another thread about getting a new case? have you got one?

Thanks
    I think ill go for that PQI if it comes back into stock at that price, it seems like a relative bargain. My motherboard supplies upto 2.85v without any modification.

I still havent got a new case unfortunately. Funds are very tight and the ram is urgent (but i dont want to buy cheap stuff to afford a case too, id rather wait).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Infidel
    I think ill go for that PQI if it comes back into stock at that price, it seems like a relative bargain. My motherboard supplies upto 2.85v without any modification.

I still havent got a new case unfortunately. Funds are very tight and the ram is urgent (but i dont want to buy cheap stuff to afford a case too, id rather wait).
    Don't now if you like ebay or not but look at these
    Memory

Thanks
    Yeh, i dont mind eBay, ill keep an eye on these sticks. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information