Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual core Athlon launch tomorrow?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    Read my CPC Bitchin column this month
    Where?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurleung
    Then you'll need to invest money into expensive low latency ram and fancy cooling not to mention fancy motherboard.
    No, just run your memory at a slower divider. Fancy motherboard, maybe; but you can pick up a pretty damn fancy board for less than the cost of a dual Opteron board; I haven't yet seen a NUMA capable board for under £200....

I'm not really bitching dual core but I'm just holding the point that a Dual proc setup is more worthy than Dual Core at the moment. And you could potentially go Dual Dual core later on
    True. The thing is though, lots of apps right now can take advantage of two cores but according to the TR test very few can properly utilise all four.

Not to mention the stability of the dual proc boards. I don't have a word to say about overclocking, YMMV.

The S940 may/will be a good overclocker since the newer boards use NF4 too.
    They tend to have prety limited bios options though AFAIK. How well they'd do with Clockgen I'm not sure.

Thanks
    one thing i think the press is forgetting to mention is that any amd users wanting to upgrade to dual core, will probably need a new OS. the advantage of current amd's is that we can get away with using XP Home, if we want the benefit of the second core, we will have to spend more and buy XP Pro.

does anyone know if Longhorn is going to be exclusively SMP aware? i cant imagine them being able to sell 'home' versions if they wont support the dual core standard.

i think that amd are doing the clever thing with their dual-core line-up in that they are leaving the FX range as single core. afterall, as a gaming chip, it doesnt need HyperThreading. i think Intel would be better off marketing their 840 as a workstation chip rather than use the 'Extreme' label which people associate with the gaming chip. a single 840 has been shown to outperform dual xeons, and is best suited for a workstation environment. of course, i wonder how the introduction of dual core chips will affect the dual-cpu market.

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Where?
    The extreme left on page 12. I’m pretty sure its issue 21 David’s referring to. Its a highly accurate bitching column

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Lu tze, you're incorrect; XP (all versions) and Server 2003 treat multiple core processors as single CPUs. MS have stated that they count the number of processors, not the number of cores (physical or virtual) on that processor. Hyperthreading is an irrelevance, since that is basically a feature of Intel processors and doesn't involve multiple physical cores.

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu-tze
    one thing i think the press is forgetting to mention is that any amd users wanting to upgrade to dual core, will probably need a new OS. the advantage of current amd's is that we can get away with using XP Home, if we want the benefit of the second core, we will have to spend more and buy XP Pro.

does anyone know if Longhorn is going to be exclusively SMP aware? i cant imagine them being able to sell 'home' versions if they wont support the dual core standard.

i think that amd are doing the clever thing with their dual-core line-up in that they are leaving the FX range as single core. afterall, as a gaming chip, it doesnt need HyperThreading. i think Intel would be better off marketing their 840 as a workstation chip rather than use the 'Extreme' label which people associate with the gaming chip. a single 840 has been shown to outperform dual xeons, and is best suited for a workstation environment. of course, i wonder how the introduction of dual core chips will affect the dual-cpu market.
    M$ licences are per socket not per core/cpu so there is no need to worry.

Since 840 cannot be used on dual, it cannot be called a xeon.

People use P4 for servers as well so there is no need to "specify" it as a server chip.
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI "Blood Iron" P35-T2RL
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium E2140 @ 400x8 (3.2GHz), 1.375v
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 CL4 @ 500MHz (DDR 1000), 4-4-4-12-T2, 2.3v
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Antec P182, with some small modifications
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
      • Time Warner "Road Runner" Cable - 16 megabit downstream, 1 megabit upstream
    Dual core opterons support cool and quiet.

Cool and quiet means you can lower the multiplier.

str
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu-tze

Hyper-Threading works fine on XP Home and I would expect to also be able to use a dual core CPU just as easily. I suspect Microsoft will release an update for XP Home users if that currently isn't the case.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurleung
    150 is the max speed of older core so obviously it does not overclock very good.
    All part of having to use Reg ram on older n-force 3 boards. Different scenario on newer ones. Still, being multi-locked is never going to give an amazing o'clock. But then Opterons are Workstation/Server chips, not meant for overclocking. Still, I like mine
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    It's true about M$ OS's counting sockets, not cores for licensing. Even if it was not, the cost of a new OS is NOTHING compared to what a motherboard and CPU will run you if you want to go dualcore.

You guys talk about dualcore in terms of overclocking as if it is a gamer or enthusiast chip. Nothing could be further from the truth! Dualcore is for the elite cruncher only. Gamers and enthusiasts (the smart ones anyway) will not be wasting their money on such nonsense.

This brings up an interesting point. Is "smart gamer" an oxymoron?
    Last edited by StormPC; 26-04-2005 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks
    agree with storm, how long before many games are multithreaded and it makes a difference. 2 years before its common?

Thanks
    For ppl who want to overclock these beasts, you might wanna wait until 'revision 2' S939 boards come out. Current S939 mobos won't be able to handle the extra load required by overclocking dual core CPUs. The mosfets will BURN and become unstable. I'm pretty sure that most of the mobo manufacturers are cooking up rev2 boards to cope with it. Extra mosfets, etc etc.

Thanks
    That may be the case but actually AMD have used transistors that although are slightly slower, are a lot more efficient and therefore produce less heat. Because of this their power consumption is comparable to normal amd 64 processors so cooking mosfets should not really be that much of a problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy!!!
    That may be the case but actually AMD have used transistors that although are slightly slower, are a lot more efficient and therefore produce less heat. Because of this their power consumption is comparable to normal amd 64 processors so cooking mosfets should not really be that much of a problem.
    Probably true, but as soon as people find out that these chips are not good enthusiast chips, but rather workstation and server (and crunching) powerhouses the whole point will be moot.

I plan on overclocking them to find their limits and to get a SETI crunching boost, but gaming and 3D benches are not going to be interesting at all on dualcores. San Diego 3200+>>>> <<<<4800+ Dualcore
    Last edited by StormPC; 27-04-2005 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks
    Clock for clock the dual core seems to perform pretty much exactly the same in games as the single core. For a purely gaming rig the single core makes more sense, true. Not everyone has the space or money for more than one PC though and so if your main PC is a jack of all trades gaming/video encoding/rendering/programming/crunching/whatever box, the tradeoff in outright game performance may well be more than compensated for by the improvement everywhere else.

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks
    People seem to be missing the fact that multi-processor systems can affect single-threaded performance, too. PCs aren't consoles, think about it that way.....
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information