Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mobo and cpu help

Thanks

mobo and cpu help

Well basically in 3 weeeks time its my birthday, and im looking to treat myself to a new motherboard and a new cpu and give the ones that i have to my dad for a little sum of cash to help him build a new pc.

What i was thinking was an "nforce2 mobo and a barton 2500+". I will be clocking in this system so would it be worth the risk getting an cpu from a online-store and maybe getting lucky, or would it be better paying that little bit extra from "cpu city" and getting one which is "guaranteed" a good clocker.

Also which nf2 board shall i got for, i was looking at the "Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2" and the "Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2". Ive heard nothing but good things about both these boards, but ive dealt with asus before and have to admit they are very good. But i haven't yet dealt with Abit and don't know exactly what to expect.

Seing as ill be overclocking ill need to lock the "agp" frequency's they are not out of sync (well i think thats what you call them). Also i would like to use dual memory bandwith with my 2*256 sticks of pc2700 ram.

Baring in mind, i will use this pc for both gaming, work, multimedia, graphics etc. And i am hoping to clock the 2500+ well, also upgrading my gfx to a rad 9700/9800 pro depending how much cash i can come up with. I would like to get the best out of this system so i wont need to upgrade for at least another year.

So please help me out, cheers.

Stylez
    Last edited by Stylez; 02-10-2003 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks
    The Abit board seems to have a slight edge in terms of overclocking.

Thanks
    On this forum the NF7-S V2.0 is by far the preferred board.

Banned
    Thanks
    TbredB (even XP1700+) tend to o/c as well as Barton, are very cheap and are 'only' 5% slower clock for clock. I'd still rec Barton as it does away with much of the problems assiciated with looking for a good TbredB (or any TbredB), that extra 5% on the Barton means you can have the same perf at 2.1ghz as a TbredB at 2.2ghz. Shop around and get it from where ever is cheapest (and a trustworthy place to shop) as it makes no diff when going TbredB or Barton.

It seems all nForce2 are great mobos and offer great o/c'ing options (inc locking PCI & AGP). Since your RAM is 'only' PC2700 you would be wise to keep to (or very close to) 333FSB, hence you'll want a mobo which can manipulate the 5th FID bit (needed for multipliers 13x and higher). Abit NF7-S v2.0 definitely does and I'd be heavily surprised if Asus' offering didn't too ... not so sure about other manu's but both Epox and Albatron are well known for good o/c'ing options. NF7-S is the preferred choice BUT do a search on here and you'll find it is far from ideal though a very good mobo (I'm very picky). You will definitely want to change the obnoxious NB fan on the mobo though, it is very low quality and LOUD. All nForce2 std and Ultra400 are Dual Channel, nForce2 400 & IGP are not (5% slower).

Will be a top system and shouldn't need upgrading for closer to 2 years (Athlon64 should be very cheap by then).

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    i have a asus a7n8x mobo and id recomend that
    its been a great board for me no problems whatsoever
    alot of people will advise the abit board and ive been temted to jump ship but when it comes down to it theres just no need as this board does everything i need anyway online bios update
    uber bioses some of these boards have struggles at 200fsb but
    ive never had the problem
    ive had a 1700xp jiuhb and now im using a 2500xp barton which i would recomend as well tho the 1700xp jiuhbs are damn fine chips for the money i would go for the barton even tho it may cost nearly twice as much topped off with a 9700 np and im well chuffed with the performance of this set up
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    NF7-S is the preferred choice BUT do a search on here and "you'll find it is far from ideal" though a very good mobo (I'm very picky).
    So what would you recommend then mate, im more towards the asus as ive been impressed with them before and have had good technical support. Haven't experienced Abit before, from the reviews and suggestions people have made, it seems half use asus and love it and half use abit and love it.

Banned
    Thanks
    I think it's a win win situation really ... perhaps see what the bundles or price diffs are. I'd lean towards the Asus myself (A7N8X Deluxe for full MCP-T vs std MCP) ... things that let the Abit down is the awful NB fan, connector placement, incompatible BIOS' with the v1.x (not pointed out on the sites for a LONG time) and lack of an XP rating when you o/c ('Athlon at 2.2ghz' is very disatisfying vs XP3200+ for example).

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...ght=a7n8x+nf7s

Still a top mobo but I would be tempted to give Asus a whirl!

Thanks
    Still aint helped me decide as of yet, got a mate with an A7N8X Deluxe and hes had nothing but good things to say about it but then he doesn't clock or game as much as me. I haven't the faintest idea which im going to get yet, and hopefully with choose within the next few weeks.

Thanks
    pay the bit extra for the good clocker!!

Thanks
    Originally posted by cliky
    pay the bit extra for the good clocker!!
    Yeh im going to do that mate, just trying to decide which motherboard.

Thanks
    I have to disagree with Austin re. the ABIT NB cooler.
    I have never found it noisy (& no, I'm not running Deltas etc. that drown it out ) & to me active cooling on the NB is a benefit.

I'm pretty certain that the ASUS doesn't have the 5 bit FID.
    Overall, I believe that the ABIT offers more/wider options for overclocking in the BIOS than the ASUS.

I agree that the ATX connectors are in a poor position on the ABIT but it isn't really a major problem is it, & I can't say that I have had any problems with the placement of the floppy/IDE connectors.
    The ASUS is the better laid out board overall, though.

The ASUS seems to have a lot more problems with crackling etc. on audio judging by the forums. It seems pretty common on the ASUS whereas it seems very rare on the ABIT.

The ASUS has an extra NIC connection, the ABIT includes a SATA adapter in the box.
    The ABIT is probably £3-4 cheaper i.e. nothing in it.

Both good mobos but for the overclocker I think that the ABIT is the better choice.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    i agree with buff.

buff do u have the nf7-s rev1.x or a 2.x board? it seems only the 2.x boards have the noisy fan
    the asus A7N8X 1 boards (inc duluxe) couldnt do the 5th bit of FID but as theres a new version? (2) that might have been fixed.

i find everything on the nf7-s is perfectly layed out exept maybe the CMOS reset should be easy to get to, but i fixed this by putting a switch for it on the top of my case if i take the top panel off.

overall id recommend the ABIT NF7-S REV1.1 over all the over nforce 2 boards. the 1.1 nf7-s has a lot less problems than the 2.x from what ive heard but with the most recent bios these are all fixed. the only reson why i cant recommend it is that im not sure if mine is stable over a fsb of 200 (both my mobo and ram are rated at 333, but running at 200/400). the voltmods im doing soon will answer this though and shuld get me to 220fsb stable on mobo and ram.

Thanks
    Originally posted by |SilentDeath|

buff do u have the nf7-s rev1.x or a 2.x board? it seems only the 2.x boards have the noisy fan.
    I've got a V2.0
    I'm not aware of V2.0's having any more problems than earlier boards, in fact I would have said the reverse.

I nice thing I forgot to mention about the ABIT is the extended jumpers to make them easier to grab if you need to .
    Last edited by BUFF; 03-10-2003 at 07:26 PM.

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    all this info and the excellent nvidia soundstorm onboard sound hasnt even been mentioned !!!
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    I'd lean towards the Asus myself (A7N8X Deluxe for full MCP-T vs std MCP)
    At least touched upon there even if I neglected to use the term 'Soundstorm'. MCP-T means you get nVidia's lovelly audio solution (MCP is std onboard audio only) while Soundstorm means you get the full works including SPDIF etc.

Thanks
    Im gonna have to do some searching around for reviews etc, as ive got half saying asus and the other saying abit. And im currently a little baffed to say the least, as i do not know which one to choose.

Thread Information