Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: watercooling

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippledence
    cool so u would recommend using a resivour

how effective are the zalman heat blocks

where would be the best place to mount it in the case

i was thinking about cutting 3 120mm fan holes in the top and mounting it there

any other ideas ??

cheers mike

Well you can either use a res or a T-line for filling. A res costs £20 but is a LOT easyer to use and also looks a lot neater.

Zalman watercooling stuff is generally not atall good from performance AND more importantly maintence perspectives.

I prefer rad in bottom, but top is good also...

Thanks
    Id mount a big rad in the roof, more space, and easier.

Id go for a T-Line, cheaper.

Thanks
    what cpu blocks would u recommend if not the zalmans

how would the fans been arranaged for having the raidiator on the bottom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ifyouknowme

http://forums.hexus.net/showpost.php...13&postcount=9

^ the list of parts I would currently buy if I were setting up a system (which I did last month).
    Have a look at the shops I linked to, you will see that none of them sell zalman parts.. (for good reson)

With radiator on the bottom of the case, it goes:

Case, dust filter*, radiator, fans.

*if you want one...

Cut a hole in the bottom of case matching the inside-shroud area of the radiator.
    if you make a mess of the holes it wont matter, no onewill see it. Best way to make holes without a dremmel is with a nibbler although you need to drill a 6mm hole first.

Thanks

Maze 4 Acetal for GPU, Swifty 6002 for CPU, Aquaxtreme 50Z (best pump around after Iwaki).

Im not totally sure on Rads these days, but you'll have trouble mounting a big one anywhere but in the roof.

Thanks
    i like the swifttec 6002 heat blocks but do they have a universal on cos i dont really wanna have to change the block when i change from the k7 to the k8 amd although its not the end of the world if i do

would the swifty 6002 work with 8mm internal diameter pipe?

if the radiator was on the bottom would the fans suck or blow and would the case need to be off the ground ?

how noisy are the c system pumps ?

cheers for ur help keep the advice comming
    Last edited by ifyouknowme; 17-07-2005 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks
    I think its 1/2". Most blocks have universal tops for them. all recent ones should support all recent chips with just a change of top.
    If you really like a block but cant get a replacement top you can get one made quite cheaply - several people on bit-tech and procooling forums have CNC mills to play with.

You should keep the same tubing size for the whole system. Mixing 1/2" blocks and 8mm blocks isnt usually a good idea for performance.

There are quite a lot of very good low-bore parts. Ive never used them so cant recommend anything. Performance of low-bore systems can match/exceed some of the best 1/2" systems.

Thanks
    thats the swifttech i was lookin at but its 3/8th's would it work with 8mm internal diameter pipe http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...roductid=17718

so far im thinkin about

Alphacool NexXxos Extreme III rad £33
    Alphacool AP700 Centrifugal pump 12V £44
    Swiftech MCW6000-A AMD K7 Waterblock 3/8 Fittings £19
    Danger Den Z-Chip Chipset Water Block Cooler £19
    DangerDen Bay Reservoir 3.25" £10
    8 mm internal diameter connection the bits

anyone see any problems?

would it all work ?

cheers mike

Thanks
    You might want to read http://www.procooling.com/reviews/ht...aterblock_.php
    and
    http://www.procooling.com/reviews/ht...eview_-_5_.php

The block would work, but if its designed for a flow rate, and gets a much lower flow rate, it can perform badly - depends on the block, flowrate you expect to get etc.. I dont think it would cause any problems - but I havent used swiftech blocks before, or any small bore systems... (my current 1/2" system gets ~9l/m - almost 2x what most people get. The pump with nothing connected gets 17l/m)

Dont get the Z chip block. Its basically far too restrictive, and a chipset does not need performance, so its just going to waste your flow rate from getting a good pump.
    I would currently consider chipset watercooling (on amd64 boards) a waste of water, but the stock coolers are crap. Decent air cooling is more than enough though.

I dont like bay-res's atall but many do.
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 17-07-2005 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    its a A socket AMD 2700 on an epox motherboard the chipset fan is seriously noisy, what about this water block for the north bridge http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...roductid=17630
    and this one for the gpu http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...roductid=17266 ?

they any gd ?

im not sure about the connectors though

so other than the blocks there isnt anything else wrong

thanks for ur help keep it comming

Thanks
    A waterblock for the northbridge is just more hassle than its worth. It will mean more tubing which is going to have to bent quite a bit to fit it around the chipset and it will dump a lot of heat into the cooling loop which will make the cooling of the cpu and graphics cards less efficient. It would probably be easier to get something like the akasa chipset cooler http://www.slipstreamx.net/viewthread.php?tid=3138 which is quiet.

A passive chipset cooler ie the zalman zm47bj (or whatever its called...) wouldn't be much use as with water cooling you won't have an excessive amount of airflow in the case.

Thanks
    would that tiny little heatsink really work on the nforce 3 epox boards ? the fan and heatsink it has atm is huge and thats the stock one

so would i be better off just doing the cpu and gpu?

are the watercooled psus any gd for the money ?

how would i connect 3/8th internal diameter pipe to a radiator and pump that have 1/4 inch fittings as i can only find connectors to go to 10 and 8 mm ?

Thanks
    would that tiny little heatsink really work on the nforce 3 epox boards ? the fan and heatsink it has atm is huge and thats the stock one

so would i be better off just doing the cpu and gpu?
    The test specs in that review are:

"Testing

Basic Test system Specs
    AMD FX-53
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Asus Geforce FX 59XX series "

So its an nf3 board they're testing and the it works for him. Think they're about £7 in ebay, far less than watercooling it would cost and I think in terms of overall system efficiency it would be better unless you have a big radiator and some high cfm fans.

I still have the watercooling bits left from my athlon xp setup, the swiftech 6000 series is definately the one to go for. I may be looking to sell it soon if you're interested. It could keep a 2500+M at 2500mhz and 2v at ~38c load with a single rad with a really low cfm fan so should do better with a better cooling setup.

Thanks
    One reson I have avioded most swiftech parts is they have aluminuim tops - not a problem really with aditives to stop corrosion, but I prefer plastic or copper anyway.

I acctually found out today that one of the fitting I ued for my res was actually steel/iron - the shop got the order a bit wrong. Anyway I didnt realise when fitting it becuase they were both nickel plated. So my res currently has a large quantity of rust sitting in the bottom- which I originally thought was something else outside my translucent res
    Ill clean it all out next week and replace the fitting with a brass one - good thing I ordered spares!

Watercooled PSU's are generally less good than air cooled versions. Pointless getting one imo as most psus are silent'ish anyway and they also cost a lot more.

There are many ways to connect different sizes. You can use adaptor tubes or you can replace the fitting with a different size. For example most threads used are 1/4" BSP on one end and either 3/8" or 1/2" on the other end.

I think w/c the nm would be a waste of water as you can silently air cool a nb - and AMD64 based chipset dont really affect performance a they cant be overclocked other than HTT.

I think the passive zalman can be easly adapted to fit a 40mm fan.
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 17-07-2005 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks
    cool
    i think i might order
    Alphacool NexXxos Extreme III rad £33
    Alphacool AP700 Centrifugal pump 12V £44
    Swiftech MCW6000-A AMD K7 Waterblock 3/8 Fittings £19
    1/4 to 3/8 barbs
    3/8 pipe
    a heatsink and fan for the chipset
    and im not sure about gpu yet
    any ideas ?
    the mase4 ones look great but a bit expensive as its only cooling a overclocked 6200

Thanks
    I think before ordering, post over on bit-tech.net forums. Many people other there use 3/8" stuff so can recommend better what to buy

Imo gpu is the most important part to be watercooled, as it makes the most difference to games, and also is the hardest part to aircool becuase of limited space

You might find getting a new gfx card more worth while than watercooling though - but but most watercooling parts (rad, res, pump, possibly blocks) should be useable in 10 years time, so although its expensive, it will last longer than air would.

Thread Information