Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 27 of 27

Thread: A8N-E equivalent

  1. #17
    Hexus.net Troll Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In your eyeball.
    Posts
    2,750
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Which makes this statement "the A8n-E is SLi, you wanted direct comparison." incorrect.
    I know that. Hence why I've deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

  2. #18
    Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked
    172 times in 159 posts
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    The ASUS A8N-E is the only way to go if you're running a dual-core system in the future. It is one of the few S939 motherboards specifically designed for X2 support. Most others only support the X2 as an afterthought.

    The A8N-E is the only single PCI-E nForce 4 board I'll use right now.
    x2 Has been designed from the ground up to run on existing 939 boards, theres no need to design a board differently, although the bioses arent out yet theres nothing special asus have done to get x2 working, they maybe just have more programmers working on their bios.

  3. #19
    Banned StormPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by herulach
    x2 Has been designed from the ground up to run on existing 939 boards, theres no need to design a board differently, although the bioses arent out yet theres nothing special asus have done to get x2 working, they maybe just have more programmers working on their bios.
    That's sort of true but not really.

    It is true that if you do not overclock just about any S939 should work with a BIOS update (although many motherboards still do not have proper X2 support). When overclocking a dual-core A64 however, it's a whole other ballgame.

    The X2s need very good voltage regulation when overclocking. Also, the motherboard needs to be designed to deliver much more current to dual-cores than a single S939 CPU (which the A8N-E is).

    Dual-core X2s are extremely powerful chips especially when overclocked. Powerful CPUs require more power.

  4. #20
    Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked
    172 times in 159 posts
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    The X2s need very good voltage regulation when overclocking. Also, the motherboard needs to be designed to deliver much more current to dual-cores than a single S939 CPU (which the A8N-E is).
    As do all cpus, hence why manufacturers are moving toward more sophisticated power supply circuits, and the realisation by people that psus are worth spending the cash on
    Dual-core X2s are extremely powerful chips especially when overclocked. Powerful CPUs require more power.
    Again, i agree, but they dont require that much more power, the lower cache ones are 89W, the same as most A64s, and the big ones 110W, only 6W over the 'old' fxs which most good boards handle well.

  5. #21
    Banned StormPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by herulach
    As do all cpus, hence why manufacturers are moving toward more sophisticated power supply circuits, and the realisation by people that psus are worth spending the cash on

    Again, i agree, but they dont require that much more power, the lower cache ones are 89W, the same as most A64s, and the big ones 110W, only 6W over the 'old' fxs which most good boards handle well.
    Like I said, you are talking stock numbers. When you overclock an X2 you are overclocking TWO (yes 2) Athlon 64s in one package. As long as you don't increase the voltage and you don't overclock much it's not a problem. X2s require a lot of voltage and awesome cooling to get decent overclocks though.

    Just out of curiosity, how many X2s have you overclocked and how far? My guess based on your comments would be somewhere between zero and one.

  6. #22
    Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked
    172 times in 159 posts
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Like I said, you are talking stock numbers. When you overclock an X2 you are overclocking TWO (yes 2) Athlon 64s in one package. As long as you don't increase the voltage and you don't overclock much it's not a problem. X2s require a lot of voltage and awesome cooling to get decent overclocks though.

    Just out of curiosity, how many X2s have you overclocked and how far? My guess based on your comments would be somewhere between zero and one.
    True enough, but like i said, from what ive read A8N isnt the be all and end all of X2 overclocking. Ive personally only got experience with one, in a lanparty NF4 Ultra D and after a bios flash it was dot on, got it up to about 265 IIRC

  7. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    455
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    14 times in 14 posts
    • k0nigen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB GSkill DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2 x SSDs + 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 40" Sony TV
    Oh now I see!

    So, the Gigabyte motherboard is far better than the Asus one!

    Thanks for the info guys!
    k0nigen

  8. #24
    Banned StormPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k0nigen
    Oh now I see!

    So, the Gigabyte motherboard is far better than the Asus one!

    Thanks for the info guys!
    Absolutely not, but why don't you buy one anyway and get back to us?

    There's a reason why Gigabyte is more commonly referred to as Giga-shyte by many seasoned PC enthusiasts.
    Last edited by StormPC; 09-08-2005 at 04:45 AM.

  9. #25
    Hexus.net Troll Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In your eyeball.
    Posts
    2,750
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    There's a reason why Gigabyte is more commonly referred to as Giga-shyte by many seasoned PC enthusiasts.
    Never had any problems with Gigabyte here.

    Still have a dual PIII system running on a GB motherboard.

    Asus on the other hand have been pissing me off for about two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

  10. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    455
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    14 times in 14 posts
    • k0nigen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB GSkill DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2 x SSDs + 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 40" Sony TV
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Absolutely not, but why don't you buy one anyway and get back to us?
    My above post was in my best sarcastic voice :┬ČI

    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    There's a reason why Gigabyte is more commonly referred to as Giga-shyte by many seasoned PC enthusiasts.
    What reason is that?
    It would help this thread find its conclusion if you could specify exactly why not to go Gigabyte over Asus!
    k0nigen

  11. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    I've always found nothing but stability with Gigabyte boards, though they've never exactly been known for their overclocking feats. I lost a lot of faith in Asus after my run-in with the A7N8X series. I had three boards which all died in the same manner - worked fine for weeks at a time without issue - turn on the next morning and they were dead a doornail. Replaced the BIOS, tried a new PSU, memory, reseat CPU, nothing. After 3 RMA's I gave up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fatal1ty SLI, A8N SLI Deluxe, or DFI NF4 SLI ?
    By Millennium in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-06-2005, 07:53 AM
  2. ASUS A8N wont recognize my 6800:
    By in3rt!a in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-04-2005, 02:20 AM
  3. Cabling my new system. + A8N SLi question.
    By RDL in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 23-03-2005, 10:22 PM
  4. A8N Dual memory problem
    By edp33 in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •