Thread: Spares anyone?

Thanks

Spares anyone?

You may have noticed some posts related to a school design tech project I am carrying out currently. After talking through the idea of building my own PC case from scratch, we came to the conclusion doing a SFF style case would be best, as they tend to be a bit quirkier and hopefully be more attractive to the examiner. I'm also hoping that the smaller the size, the easier it is to maintain quality, but I guess time will tell there

Anyway, my teacher thought it would be a good idea to actually prove the case is upto a job, and get a machine running in it. I was looking at the mini-itx standard to use.

What I'm (cheekily) going to ask you guys, is if any of you have ANY spare parts you don't need that you think might be of use to me, please do let me know. I might be able to fork a little out for this, depending on the part and age etc. I'd be more than willing to pay for postage fees though. Might be able to score you a place in the credits at the end of the project too, what more could you ask for?

Any donations greatly welcome too http://www.tobeman.co.uk/donate

(that shows my desperation, and lack of graphics skills)

Pweeeeeeeeeease

Thanks guys, much appreciated
    Last edited by Tobeman; 31-10-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Sheffield (University) , BuuurMINGhem (Born)
    Thanks
    Have you started a project log for the case? It would be nice to see what people are donating their parts for
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus
    As for the filled fresh pasta, i love that stuff... when i've got the money, however i've a computer addication, my mum always said she thinks it would be cheaper if i had herroin addiction, and at least i'd get some fresh air when i went to get a score.

Thanks
    Not as yet, everything I've done so far includes various A3 sheets on previous designs (which I did in a timeline format), existing products currently available created by modders and manufacturers alike to draw ideas from, as well as an indepth analysis of (that I've started) the Akasa Eclipse-62 case.

I can't start work until I really have the bits, or atleast know for definite what bits I shall be using, as I need to base any ideas around my specification. This will state what size the case needs to be, its a vicious circle at the moment

Thanks
    Well when you do start getting your ideas together start a project log in http://forums.hexus.net/forumdisplay.php?f=75

If you think about doing a m-atx design insead of a m-itx format someone might dontate a spare m/b, but i doubt many people would doante a m-itx board

Some useful sites :

http://www.mini-itx.com/
    http://www.mini-itx.com/store/
    As for the filled fresh pasta, i love that stuff... when i've got the money, however i've a computer addication, my mum always said she thinks it would be cheaper if i had herroin addiction, and at least i'd get some fresh air when i went to get a score.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice gorgeous, already been persuaded in a previous thread related to this to make a topic there

If I really have to scrape the bottom of the barrel, I might accept your generous offer, gorjus

I presume you know a little about the smaller motherboard standards. Do all VIA EPIA mobos come with processors also? Bit knew to this format Also, what kind of power supplies are compatible with these boards?

Many thanks

Thanks
    All VIA Epia boards come with an integrated processor, DFI do a Pentium M m-itx board but it costs way too much.

if you have a look at the mini-itx.com store link i showed, it should have soem power supplies in there.

Also have a look on ebay for parts etc. Theres some shuttle motherboards on there for pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Gorgeous; 02-11-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah I had a quick browse over mini-itx, some good ideas for projects there too! I'd REALLY like to do a pentium m board, especially after my experiences with my Dothan on my laptop, but the prices are ludicrous (I guess they don't come with a processor )

From the pics of the power supplies, they look a bit big. Could I use a Silent-X one like in Shuttles?

Thanks
    Yeah you can use a shuttle power supply, theyre pretty cheap. The power supplys on mini-itx.com are pretty much all external black bricks, which provide the juice silently. A bit like the psu apple uses for its mac mini, but just not that small or white.

Cheap 200w Shuttle PSU

Thanks
    Silent would be even better! I see theres a little effort that needs to go in to changing it to an external power supply, but shouldn't be too complicated I'm currently looking at buying bsodmikes mini-itx board and bits, possibly even his case to take inspiration on and use in the project (not much point continuing my study on an Akasa Eclipse-62 case, one of the roomiest available, if I'm doing a SFF!)

C'mon guys, donate me something!

Thanks
    If you write it up online (mabe send it to custompc) Then its worth contacting say scan to see if they will do any sponsership.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Its almost done now, I've had to fund it all myself I have to say, its looking awesome

I've brazed the structure together (pain in the arse), created some runners for the motherboard tray to come out on. The whole structure is virtually done, just gotta get around to fitting everything inside!

Not sure what i'm going to do with it though

Thread Information