Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Gaming Rig - Building Advice??

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    hehe, erm... i'm not to sure if you can auto-size it in html :/ I would probably load it up in some sort of paint package and re-save it smaller. I'm not too sure about the maximum sig size on this site, would think theres a post about it somewhere though. Most seem about 2cm high on my screen, and quite wide though.

Sorry to sidetrack off the original topic!

Nox

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nox
    I'm not too sure about the maximum sig size on this site, would think theres a post about it somewhere though.
    There is & he's still over it.
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...signature+size

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Registered+
    Thanks
    I probably should have posted this at the start, but i dont intend on buying the 2nd graphics card right now. I will buy one which will be adequate for todays games, and later on down the line ill get the second one, and by then the price should have dropped.

As far as the HDD's are concerned, would it be better if i get 2x 40GB and RAID them instead of the 80GB. I dont know very much about RAID setups.. but if i was to get 2x40GB and RAID them like u say, will they act as one 80GB or still be two seperate 40GB's??

Wow Project, love the look inside that case. i wanna get sum blue neons for my case to match the Blue LED on the CNPS 9500 =)

Thanks every1
    Tiger69

Registered+
    Thanks
    I was also hoping that people could comment on whether or not i should build it myself? Like i said in my 1st post, this would be my 1st build (guess u gotta start somewhere) but i have researched and found several step-by-step guides to building it. Also doing A-Level electronics gives me a better understanding of voltages, current and circuit layouts etc.

I know these are expensive components, but so long as im always earthed, put them in the right places and for try not to sit on them =D - i should be okay shouldnt I ??

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thx

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    The trouble is that the 37Gb Raptors are slower than the 74Gb. I don't think you'll get much benefit out them anyway if you just have the OS on them.

There are various different RAIDs - the simplest uses two disks "striped" to speed up access (RAID 0). This is probably the most common setup for gamers.

Of course if you were made of money you could by multiple Raptors...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nox
    FYI the OCZ 2x1GB 2-3-2-5 do not clock well, you'll have to run a divider with them. Mine go to around 215 at those timings.

I would also be tempted to go for BFG cards, they have a lifetime warranty and are only pennies more.

Opteron or X2? hmmm, I was under the impression they are pretty much the same chip. The opterons *may* be better quality as they are server chips, so *may* clock higher.

Nox
    You have to losen the timings to get a higher speed.

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Yep, thats correct Noni - but if you're going to do that, you will get around 230Mhz out of them (at 3-3-3-8) not a lot more, in which case you may as well buy some chips that will do 250+Mhz @ 3-3-3-8

Mine do 215 @2-3-2-5 absolutely 100% stable, they won't do 220, somewhere in between is their max. Why did I choose them? At the time I figured i'd own a FX series, with an upwardly unlocked multiplier, and i'd only need about 20Mhz of flexibility before upping the multiplier.

If you're going for a lower multiplier chip, and want high Mhz without a memory divider, you'll end up anting higher max FSB memory (and lower timings) and I still don't know what's best! Anyone got sandra handy, if so whats your memory bandwidth at lower timings and high FSB? (like 250+)

Nox

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    As far as building it yourself goes.. I did my first a little while ago and haven't lookd back, i've done several recently. There are some great guides online and although it may seem daunting it is really simple. I really enjoyed it and though it was quite possibly the most nerve wracking hour and a half of my life it was great when it booted up. Give it a go, if it doesn't run just pop into your local PC shop and get them to fix it.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yeah ravennight thats what i was thinking myself. Coz i think it would be an immense achievement to build one (especially with these parts) and it actually work. And if all goes wrong then just go and get sum1 to fix it. Thanks for your advice. I think ive made my mind up to build it myself.

Thanks to every1 for their input - i really appreciate it

Tiger69

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Personally Tiger69, I think you're overquallified Just don't force anything, and as its your first build, READ and UNDERSTAND every manual you get, cover to cover.

Nox

Registered+
    Thanks
    Lol thx. I can assure u tho, with a £500 graphics card, £350 processor and £220 RAM ill be talking my sweet ass time with this build making sure nothing is rushed into

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger69
    I was also hoping that people could comment on whether or not i should build it myself? Like i said in my 1st post, this would be my 1st build (guess u gotta start somewhere) but i have researched and found several step-by-step guides to building it. Also doing A-Level electronics gives me a better understanding of voltages, current and circuit layouts etc.

I know these are expensive components, but so long as im always earthed, put them in the right places and for try not to sit on them =D - i should be okay shouldnt I ??

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thx

yer about a year ago i brought a 754 setup (in parts) and i used the haynes build your own pc manual may be a ltittle old but it gives you all the info you need to build and all the other stuff that you may need wil be in your mobo user guide, its worth it coz it teachs you alot more about what to do wghen they go wrong and all internal knowledge, do it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger69
    I probably should have posted this at the start, but i dont intend on buying the 2nd graphics card right now. I will buy one which will be adequate for todays games, and later on down the line ill get the second one, and by then the price should have dropped.

As far as the HDD's are concerned, would it be better if i get 2x 40GB and RAID them instead of the 80GB. I dont know very much about RAID setups.. but if i was to get 2x40GB and RAID them like u say, will they act as one 80GB or still be two seperate 40GB's??

Wow Project, love the look inside that case. i wanna get sum blue neons for my case to match the Blue LED on the CNPS 9500 =)

Thanks every1
    Tiger69

its all bout the inside of ur case imo

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Good luck

I did my first ever build a few weeks ago (journaled here on the hexus forums:
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=59244 )

It wasn't too bad, and I definately agree with reading the manuals.. however don't be surprised if they're absolutely useless - in my case they were worse than useless!

Thanks
    Seasonic 600W n Raptor 74GB should better than PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 n Maxtor Diamondmax 10 80GB.
    Why not use water cooling than Zalman CNPS9500

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information