Thread: Canon's new chiped ink cannot be refilled

Thanks

Canon's new chiped ink cannot be refilled

I would hate to decide which printer to buy these days and I am left wondering which inkjet has the lowest cost of ownership since Canon's ink will likely set me back 4x as much in the future. I was very happy with printrite inks and the prism ink level monitoring in the IP4000. I will not be buying any of Canon's new range and I hope others avoid them too.

The physical refilling the cartridge isn't a problem(same as the BCI-3K series, and on the pixma 4000 series), but it will land you in the following scenario:

1. The microchip on the cartridge colludes with the computer (calculating how much ink you've used) and notices that you've printed a suspiciously high number of pages from the cartridge, and pops up a dialog with effectively two choices:

CHOICE THE FIRST: (Cannon's preferred choice): Admit that you've refilled your ink cartridge, remove it, and place a new cannon certified cannon manufactured ink cartridge in it. I achieved approximately 420 pages in a refilled "300-page" pigment black cartridge.

CHOICE THE SECOND: (The insulting option):
    Conceed that you are refilling your ink tanks, with the following consequences:
    1. The warrantee is voided, and this fact is written into the flash-rom of the printer, thus barring you from claiming service under warrantee period, even if the failure is unrelated.
    2. The visual ink-monitoring system is DISABLED. Completely. Without a good reason, other than scaring you into buying cannon ink. (Or, rather, if you've chosen choice the second, being spitefully punitive you for doing so. Once the "I admit I refill my ink" choice has been selected, there is no way to return to the "good graces" of their warrantee.) In plain english, the consequences of a disabled visual ink monitoring system are that you will not receive warning when your ink runs low (even though the hardware is present to do so), and that your print heads and ink plumbing will dry up into a crusty sad little crisp, squeak their last little squeak, and die. Then you purchase a non-cannon printer. (May I reccomend the IP4000, or the IP5000, neither of which have the chipped ink bottles).

Voiding the warrantee, I can understand. Disabling the ink monitoring system is simply, spiteful BS from some heartless bottom-feeding bottom-liner.

Thanks
    Man that is sucktastic... Canon has been one of the few to avoid chipping carts until now. Still I don't aim to change from my i865 anytime soon as it is quick n reliable (plus its relatively cheap to run).

I could understand failing the warranty for the printhead assembly, but for the whole printer... Thats ridiculous really... especially if your printer develops a mechanical fault like a bust gear etc... Killing the ink meter is stupid though. Perhaps an online boycott is in order...?

Registered+
    Thanks
    you must be tight mate pattern cartridges are only 80 pence

Thanks
    These aren't by chance the cartridge number 8 are they?

for the printer ip4200 and/or ip5200?
    Woohoo now Assistant Manager!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigev
    you must be tight mate pattern cartridges are only 80 pence
    If by pattern cartridges you mean compatibles then 80p ink is not an option on the new printer range from Canon. Looking at the ink prices at they are coming in around £9 each tank. Canon printers have small ink tanks that don't last very long hence less than £2 a pop or it's a non starter for me.

Canon had better hope that printrite can make a compatible cartridge because lots of people are wise to the ripoff running costs and will shop for an alternative printer.

I thought the new battleground was running costs but obviously not. I hoped they would improve servicability and act more responsible towards the environment to stop people dumping perfectly good printers when the ink runs out.

If people would post their printers back to the manufacturers when the ink runs out I think they may start to get the message when millions of tons of plastic land on their doorstep. Just a thought.

Thanks
    Can you buy a chip resetter for Canon cartridges like you can HP & Epson?

Nice little gadget that resets the print count on the cartridge...

Thanks
    Ahhhggg, this suxs.
    - Will certainly be hanging onto our ip4000 for a while anyway!

In the mean time, my epson800's just died....

Daniel

Thanks
    Stil awaiting an answeras to which cartridges these are.

I know that Canon's latest cartridges are numbers 5, 8, and 12.
    With 5 and 8 being used in iP4200 and iP5200 (of which I want the latter.)

Thanks
    Where did you get this info from ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Yeah I can't see it being legit information.

And there is a huge difference between original ink and refilled carts. Enough to make it worth it as far as I'm concerned to buy originals.

Thanks
    Wheres the best place to get compatable ip5200 cartiriges from?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed^chigliak
    The physical refilling the cartridge isn't a problem(same as the BCI-3K series, and on the pixma 4000 series), but it will land you in the following scenario:
    Been looking around and have found this : http://www.inkproducts.com/dr%20inkys%20comments.htm

To quote the important bits.

The new line of Canon printer's now has a chip on the cartridge. By turning off the ink monitor, they can be refilled. Canon does show in their operation manual how to turn of the ink monitor. Canon's new smart led lamp flashes when ink is running low, and flashes even faster when near empty. When you install a new ink tank, the smart led system will glow to let you know that the cartridge is installed correctly. I feel that they use this smart led to stop people from refilling their cartridges or a lease make it harder.

I did some testing on Canon's new ip 4200 printer, this model has the lock out chip on the cartridges.( I call it a lock out chip). I loaded the printer with some plain paper and I printed an 8 x 10 square of solid yellow. After about 90 or so sheets the printer showed a low out of ink warning. I kept printing, and after another 40 or more pages the printer stop printing. The out of ink symbol came on and I could not print any more. Cartridge page yields are based on a 5 % original.

I followed the procedure in the operation manual on how to turn off the ink monitor. So far, I have refilled the same cartridge four times and have had no problem
    Also : http://www.atlascopy.com/newsletters..._bandwagon.htm
    The author seems to have a big-brother approach, but a quote from Canon states...

"With its new ink level gauge Canon was aiming above all to help users cut down on the costs incurred by misprints that result from the device running out of ink during a print run, it says in an official statement by the company."
    I cant see anything about it voiding the warranty in either article.

The only other reference which sticks out is : http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/AI...pict50168.html
    Off a forum. To quote the person...

but it basically voids the warranty is my basic understanding of the issue
    Does anyone have solid evidence either way, or first hand experience ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Thanks Agent, I'm now very puzzled on whether to buy the new printer ip4200 or ip5200.

I would be very grateful if someone who has already got one of these printers, if they could be very helpful and scan in the terms and conditions papers that you get in the box. (this should mention whether or not the printer is still under warranty even if I use 3rd party refilled ink.)

Thanks.

Thread Information