Thread: New processors?

Thanks

New processors?

Hi all,

I've currently got a barton 3200 + Asus A7NX8 delux with 2 GB pc3200 generic RAM and Grforece 6800 (vanilla).

I was thinking of upgrading to a DS 3700+ with a Abit KN8 Ultra (non sli); reusing the RAM and getting a GF7800GT.

Will i be better off holding out for a while to see if there is a price drop with the proposed new AMD chips? Are the due soon(in the new few months?) or should i just get it over with and but it all now I've been playing with the thought of getting a new AGP graphics card for my existing system but i'll only be delayng the inevitible anyway and the 7800GS or X850XT performance will pale to the GF7800GT with the additional hardware so fewer bottle necks

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    You would deffinately be better upgrading to PCI express for your graphics card, you will notice the difference. No-one knows when socket M2 will be released but my best guess would be mid 2006. If i were you i would get the 3700 now, prices will always drop if you wait long enough, so you may end up waiting forever.

Thanks
    The New socket Am2 (??) will definatley need new DDR2 ram. therefore you may as well go far an upgrade now. The new boards and proccessors will prob cost a packet to.

There has recently been a good price drop on the A63 proccessor line. Scan are good for prices and you should qualify for their free shipping - always good.
    LOW (http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/...8-9DDAFCFE144E) are good and do free shipping.

You can prob sell your current parts and upgrade for not much extra cost anyway.

Dave
    | Opteron 146 (CABYE 0540FPBW) @ 312 x 9 = 2808Mhz | DFI Ultra - D | 2 x 512 Kingmax hardcore PC3700 | XpertVision 7800GT (430, 1100) | Sata Maxtor 80Gb | Arctic cooling Freezer64 | Tagan TG480-UO1 | Lian-Li PC-7+ (Modded with 12cm front and back). | 3D01 - 29919 | 3D03 - 16264 | 3D05 - 7597 | 3D06 - 3950 |
    | Still a work in progress.... | Opty 165 on its way!! |

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Another vote for going PCi-E and the 3700+ is a fab chip. As for waiting, there is always going to be new stuff round the corner, you'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it. AM2 could be anytime.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kasavien
    You would deffinately be better upgrading to PCI express for your graphics card, you will notice the difference. No-one knows when socket M2 will be released but my best guess would be mid 2006. If i were you i would get the 3700 now, prices will always drop if you wait long enough, so you may end up waiting forever.
    I've yet to see a single benchmark that shows PCIe graphics cards being faster than AGP in any meaningful way BUT AGP cards are friggin expensive compared to PCIe and the 6800 GS PCIe actually has a higher clock speed than the AGP version...

If you upgrade your graphics card now and don't upgrade your CPU & M/B you're going to be buying an AGP card that will need replacing when you change over to PCIe. You've also got the problem that AGP cards are more expensive than their PCIe brethren. DDR2 is coming in soon too, so you might have to upgrade your RAM too if you wait around too long for the m/b upgrade.

It'll always be cheaper to upgrade your CPU & M/B later but if you take into account the cost of upgrading the graphics card twice, its probably better to do the whole lot together WHEN YOU NEED TO. Do you need to upgrade the graphics card now? Personally I'd wait until I actually needed to upgrade i.e. there was a game my PC wouldn't run well then do the whole upgrade.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)
    Blimey, do I spot a thread where no-one has mentioned the Asrock dual-sata motherboard yet? I am starting to think that it is obligatory in all threads

You could re-use your existing RAM, keep your current AGP video card until you are forced up upgrade it with a PCIe one, and when socket AM2 comes out you might even be able to get an upgrade card to plug one of those in.

Price drops happen all the time, you will never buy anything if that is your yardstick.

Thread Information