Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Rig Spec? Or should i not bother? :D

Thanks
    What resolution will you be playing at? If it is 1280x1024 then get anything around 7900gs or so. Otherwise the money spent on a more powerful card would be wasted.
    Not around too often!

UKMuFFiN
    I agree ^^ and http://memory-configurator.com/ are quite good for memory too if you don't want to goto (ahem) stoke

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMuFFiN View Post
    I agree ^^ and http://memory-configurator.com/ are quite good for memory too if you don't want to goto (ahem) stoke
    Aye, true story, admittedly though the g-skill modules have a lifetime warranty anyway though, which you might be able to handle without having to deal with the retailer ...the two kits for £176.24 are exactly the same modules underneath those heatspreaders, in case you end up wondering...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byatt View Post
    Right, some things to consider:

7950GX2 is overkill for everything ever, and (imo) not worth the money, at it's current price point, I'd get a 1950xtx instead (still overkill). That is, unless you've got an absolutely colossal monitor.

I'm also surprised you haven't considered a couple of hard disks and doing a bit of RAID - really makes a helluva difference in day to day performance.
    I disagree.

The GX2 isnt overkill "for everything ever" it entirely depends on what resolution and how good you want the game to look. I built a sli system because I want things to look good. Its silly to says its overkill, because its whats required to play at a decent resolution.

Putting your HDDs in raid in a desktop PC really aint worth the effort. The performance gain is only really seen when moving large files around, not from day to day running of windows and gaming,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s_kinton View Post
    Its silly to says its overkill, because its whats required to play at a decent resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Byatt
    That is, unless you've got an absolutely colossal monitor.
    I was being mildly tongue in cheek . That level of performance is overkill for all but the very high end, is what I am saying.

Putting your HDDs in raid in a desktop PC really aint worth the effort. The performance gain is only really seen when moving large files around, not from day to day running of windows and gaming
    I disagree - the rest of his system is high specification, and although you won't see much framerate difference (though you will see some, in my experience) in day to day I find it's far from negligible. As you say though, it can be a bit of an effort.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMuFFiN View Post
    Solve the budget issue with scan free carriage...
    I live 15 minutes away, i can order my items instore. No carrige free. ~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harry1 View Post
    cant comment on bf2 although i have heard its alot better with more ram, but ov css is fine with a gig, but i mean that spec is fine, how long do you reckon it will be till you can get some more ram, if its not long then go ahead with the above then get it. if not mayb get a lesser gfx tbh, but if u can get the ram in the next month then stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_sam
    Pretty good spec but would recommend 2Gb of RAM like others have mentioned as it seems out of place to have only 1Gb RAM for such a highend system. Mind you the DDR2 RAM prices have rocketed like crazy and from what I've read, its likely to be the case to Christmas. I would keep an key on the RAM prices and upgrade to 2Gb when the prices settle down.
    Im gettin another 1GB stick at xmas.

Thanks
    Ive already posted my comments in your other identical thread!!

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...190#post875190

Not sure why you chose the scan customer care section for it though...
    It is being baught from scan, and i would like the scan guys to comment. They may not want too sift through the other sections of the forums.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harry1 View Post
    agreed you only need one thread buddy. we have all seeing eyes
    Again, I want scan input.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byatt View Post
    Right, some things to consider:

7950GX2 is overkill for everything ever, and (imo) not worth the money, at it's current price point, I'd get a 1950xtx instead (still overkill). That is, unless you've got an absolutely colossal monitor.

It's also going to push up power requirements needing a beefier PSU. Think about whether you need that much pixel pushing power.

Get 2Gb of memory. That's a no brainer, even with dram prices through the roof at the moment. You might want to look outside of Scan for memory - you can get some excellent G-skill 2Gb kits elsewhere (sadly, elsewhere is Stoke, though)

Get the Akasa Amber fans, they'll easily outdo the X-clio ones.

ASUS P5W64 WS Professional - why? What features does it have that the Deluxe hasn't that you'd actually use?

I'm also surprised you haven't considered a couple of hard disks and doing a bit of RAID - really makes a helluva difference in day to day performance.
    Explain too me how its overkill...
    High Quality Graphics? If i want too play newer games? Then its not overkill is it. And, Why would i get an x1950xtx, the GX2 im getting is better value for money.

I feel like im repeating myself about the RAM. Im getting another 1GB stick for xmas.

Xcilo fans have 80cfm. Noise isnt an issue for me. I want the cooling as it will be getting overclocked eventually.

''ASUS P5W64 WS Professional - why? What features does it have that the Deluxe hasn't that you'd actually use?'' WS has better overclockablility 4x PCI-E Slots, need i say more? =/

Why would i need RAID on my pc, its being used for games.

Thanks
    I disagree.

The GX2 isnt overkill "for everything ever" it entirely depends on what resolution and how good you want the game to look. I built a sli system because I want things to look good. Its silly to says its overkill, because its whats required to play at a decent resolution.

Putting your HDDs in raid in a desktop PC really aint worth the effort. The performance gain is only really seen when moving large files around, not from day to day running of windows and gaming,
    Thankyou.

If i want too play newer games than Css and bf2, then ill have a nice card for it. Quality of the graphics isnt overkill ^^;

And, IMO, install stuff to the right place then you dont need too move it about.

Thanks
    Personally I wouldn't touch Intel again. AMD is cheaper and side by side AMD is far superior. Perhaps not for encoding but as you are primarily gaming then AMD is the king. I'm getting the same card to future proof myself for a while. Also I would suggest a bigger hard drive. I'm getting a 300gb and adding a 250gb drive to my new rig. But it depends what you're doing I suppose.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by bennett2kuk View Post
    Personally I wouldn't touch Intel again. AMD is cheaper and side by side AMD is far superior. Perhaps not for encoding but as you are primarily gaming then AMD is the king. I'm getting the same card to future proof myself for a while. Also I would suggest a bigger hard drive. I'm getting a 300gb and adding a 250gb drive to my new rig. But it depends what you're doing I suppose.
    Hi and welcome to Hexus,

Before making statements like 'side by side AMD is far superior' I suggest you read up on a couple of the excellent Hexus reviews (and infact any of the other reviews) of CPUs conducted in the last half a year or so - never have such a wide range of reviews been so unified in their conclusions. PC technology changes very rapidly and it's easy to be left behind.

Thanks
    Have you been living in a cupboard the past 3 months Bennett2kuk? AMD dont hold a candle to Intel at the moment in anything.

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB
    Most reviews now confirm that cost wise Intel Duo Core leaves current AMD way behind on both cost/performance comparisons, including gaming.

Thanks
    bennett2kuk's only a n00b to the forums. He either a) knows crap all about cpu developments in the last 6 months or b) is an AMD fanboy. Why would you buy an amd processor at the moment when you can have far more performance for the same price, with the option to upgrade to quad core in a few months.

Sorry for the rant, but he illustrates the problem with the net. People who think they know everything about something but actually know very little, stating it as fact. Apart from bennett, everyone elses comments have been very informed and constructive. But then maybe i know nothing about this and am stating my opinions as fact? Who knows but me lol
    Well, I can cut it in half!

www.theeraserheads.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information