this is a sound quality thing in MUSIC for Russ......I agree with him, and I would, cos its my old card that he's using

This DOlby Digital in UT2003 is a funny old debate cos while its a GREAT game,its the only one to use it ......and EAX 1 2 or 3 were all great ideas at the time and were more usefull. But its an ENVIRONMENT thing there, not a positional thing.

I would LOVE to have Dolby Digital on a game IF IT WAS PURLEY FOR DIRECTIONAL POSITIONING, but certainly not for sound quality. Unless it was already encoded as a 5.1 signal (ie UT2003) cos other wise, on the fly or not, the sound is still being compressed to be sent down one digital cable.

I found it IMMENSELY hard to work out a way to test a sound card, and eventually eneded up recording tracks in IL2 and going external on them and then listening to hwere I KNEW the planes should be cos I flew the buggers there.......

And I can offer this information.....DIRECTIONAL POSITIONING is still damnably hard to get right

EAX certainly doesn't help...it makes the hairs stand up on the back oof your neck cos the echoes sound scarier and change more subtly from room to room....BUT..to hear WHERE someone is hiding is still HARDR THAN HARD in 4 or 5.1 terms.

I found the Audigy 1 very good for that.....but I have improved on it with Revolution 7.1 and I'm not using the 7 speaker option...cosa its a film thing.

I use 4 or 5 speakers according to what I need....and its SO DAMN GOOD IT HURTS

I would not use SS in a PC if I had an Audigy 2 card, for MUSIC but I would for gaming.