Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone tell me what to look for when buying a processor?

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what to look for when buying a processor?

Can anyone point me to AMD processor classification. I know the general classification like Athlon, A-XP, TB, Burton and such, but I need to know more about classification within a particular category, like, say... xp2200.

You know the TUCSP/TCJLS thingy which categorise what was it...? Voltage? 1.5/1.6

I'd like to know how great the difference in performance due to 0.1 difference. Also, I'd like to know your expert opinion on price per performance on those micro-classification.

Another question is what is (RET)/(OED) thingy the on-line stores list? I'm wondering if RET means "retail" but have no idea what so ever on OED. Oh, what... It could've been ODE.

Is it better to buy processor "only", because CPU fan that comes with package probably is crappy?

Thanks.

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah sure....
    I think this is what your after......

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont..._Rev02_ENG.pdf

Ret means its retail and comes boxed (with a HSF? not sure)
    OEM - means its just the chip or bit of hardware without the fancy box.
    both exactly the same but obviously you save money by not getting the colourful box
    Last edited by acidrainy; 01-08-2003 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Originally posted by acidrainy

OEM - means its just the chip or bit of hardware without the fancy box.
    both exactly the same but obviously you save money by not getting the colourful box
    Thanks.

So, OEM is "not" second hand, tnen?

Thanks
    Originally posted by lemon
    Thanks.

So, OEM is "not" second hand, tnen?
    No it's still brand new kit, just without the fancy boxes you find in the shops

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Yeah, retail just comes in a nice box with a crappy hsf

oem be the way to go

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    Nope, OEM means that it is the processor only, they are sold to system builders this way to spare the expense of the extra gubbins, packaging, heatsink and fan etc. Retail processors usually come in a box of some kind alond with a heatsink and fan, and they usually come with a longer warranty.

The stepping codes that you see do not effect the processors performance in any way what so ever, having a different stock voltage does not make the processor run faster or slower (although the lower stock voltage one will run slightly cooler), these stepping codes however can effect the processors stability when overclocked (and presumably while running at stock too), it really does depend for each chip though which stepping codes are best, chips taken from the center of the silicon wafer that they are made from often are better overclockers than those from the outside, also different weeks batchs seem to have varying abilities to overclock and a lower stock voltage means that the AMD production process is now mature enough that some of their chips require lower voltages to run at their rated speeds and therefore it is possible at increased voltages it will be able to reach greater overclocks.

Thanks
    Originally posted by fondie
    The stepping codes that you see do not effect the processors performance in any way what so ever
    No but it can effect your overclock dramatically

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    Originally posted by acidrainy
    No but it can effect your overclock dramatically
    indeed, i did mention that it can effect overclocks, but i was trying to point out that unless you overclock it makes no difference, his original post semi implied that different stepping codes would effect stock performance, was just making sure he wasn't getting the wrong idea and expecting a difference in performance from 2 chips running at the same speed just because they had different steppings.

Thanks
    OK.

So, if I'm going after the stability rather than overclockability, does this mean chosing one over the other spec reduce the costs?

thx

Thanks
    Personally i would still go for the better chip if i had the choice, even if i weren't going for overclocking innitialy....

For stability though anything will do at stock voltage.....

dgr
    Thanks
    fondie@ don't you think that sig is a little on the big side? 25k with a width of 600?

anyhow, retail cpus have a 1yr manufacters garuntee, oem cpus have a 3yr retailers cpu. so if you can, go for the oems...

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    Originally posted by dgr
    fondie@ don't you think that sig is a little on the big side? 25k with a width of 600?

dgr
    ... looks good though

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    Originally posted by dgr
    anyhow, retail cpus have a 1yr manufacters garuntee, oem cpus have a 3yr retailers cpu. so if you can, go for the oems...
    it is retail CPUs that come with the 3 year waranty, and OEMs with a 1 year, if your CPU isn't DOA though there isn't much that can go wrong with it unless there is a bit of user input to help it on it's way, which will have voided your waranty anyway.

it is possible to turn sigs off, it's not much bigger than most other people though, so maybe that's your best course of action if mine is too big for you.
    Last edited by fondie; 04-08-2003 at 05:37 PM.

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    OK.

So, if I'm going after the stability rather than overclockability, does this mean chosing one over the other spec reduce the costs?

thx
    any stepping should be stable at stock speeds, so if you aren't overclocking just pick up a chip from e-buyer, or wherever is cheapest, which doesn't specify stepping codes.

Thanks
    Originally posted by fondie
    any stepping should be stable at stock speeds, so if you aren't overclocking just pick up a chip from e-buyer, or wherever is cheapest, which doesn't specify stepping codes.
    OK.

Call me stupid but what of UK voltage when you are buying on-line? Are those hardware UK voltage? Or is voltage controled by PSU?

I don't want US voltage hardware sold to me, you know.

BTW, when you are buying from Scan.co.uk, be careful. I once tried filling on-line shopping form for an item. It automatically put "two" item on my shopping list. I'm sure Scan people are wonderful people. I'll definitly doing business with them.

For sure. lol

Registered+
    Thanks
    OK.

Call me stupid but what of UK voltage when you are buying on-line? Are those hardware UK voltage? Or is voltage controled by PSU?

I don't want US voltage hardware sold to me, you know.
    Not really stupid, if you dont know.

The voltage for the items within your computer are regulated by the PSU, and are standard (as in the same range, not that you can't tweak to be different).

The US and UK diff come into play with the AC electricy out of the wall. There you are dealing with two different voltages. This will only effect the portion of your rig that plugs into the wall - the PSU. The PSU will be made for either one or the other, and will put out the same voltages to your computer, what ever side of the Atlantic you are on.
    I used to have something here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information