Thread: Mosquito NRG - IL2

Thanks

Mosquito NRG - IL2

http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Mo...o_4_grande.jpg

Object of desire the mosquito NRG - add to basket

IL2

Perhaps you can help me with IL2 single player which am just starting to get to grips with a little anyway. I don't understand why it is that I keep getting left behind by the AI planes. Would someone be kind enough to explain how I can match the climb rate of the rest of the squadron so as not fall behind in the early stages of the flight. I trust the flight model is accurate so I guess it's me that is doing something wrong.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed^chigliak
    http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Mo...o_4_grande.jpg

Object of desire the mosquito NRG - add to basket

IL2

Perhaps you can help me with IL2 single player which am just starting to get to grips with a little anyway. I don't understand why it is that I keep getting left behind by the AI planes. Would someone be kind enough to explain how I can match the climb rate of the rest of the squadron so as not fall behind in the early stages of the flight. I trust the flight model is accurate so I guess it's me that is doing something wrong.

Once you get airbourne, make sure you keep the nose fairly low. This way you will pick up more speed more quickly. Similarly, when climbing, don't pitch the nose above about 20 degrees to the horizon, or make any sudden jerks back on the stick, as this will cause you to lose speed and lift.

See - http://wright.nasa.gov/airplane/incline.html

To keep your engine running smoothly you will need to use the complex engine management (assuming you have IL-2 Forgotten Battles and not the original game). I find that when climbing, and trying to keep maximum speed, it is best to set Prop Pitch 95, Radiator setting 2 - it should allow you to keep the engine running at high rpm for longer without overheating. But this varies from plane to plane, so you need to experiment.

See - http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Tailsp.../CEM_IL2FB.htm

Note the line, 'To obtain maximum aircraft speed you want to be able to apply full throttle at the lowest prop pitch % while you keep rpm’s as close as possible to the maximum allowable or combat engine setting rpm.'

Also find you the supercharger and mixture settings needed for the plane you are flying (in German, American and British planes these features are sometimes automated). You can find details of these in the PDF documents on the game disk. You need to set these to different settings and different altitudes, and it varies from plane to plane.

'Make mine a Spitfire, Landlord!'

Thanks
    If you have original flavour IL2, there's a known issue with Uber wingmen... don't worry about it bloke. The one's in FB are fairly easy to stay with, providing you follow Moiby's tips up there /\

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    You will never be able to match the climbrate of AI aircraft, because the AI in Forgotten Battles do not obey the same laws of physics as you do.

AI aircraft behave and move in a pre-programmed and highly predictable manner, you only need to look at the way the AI will suddenly be able to repidly decelerate and barrel roll when you get within fring range of him, or pull his nose up to shoot you when he is well below stall speed and couldn't possibly be flying so slow.

Its just a feature of the game i'm afraid, the AI flight model and behavior is one of the weakest aspects of a very good game IMHO.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skii
    You will never be able to match the climbrate of AI aircraft, because the AI in Forgotten Battles do not obey the same laws of physics as you do.
    I have to disagree Skii. It's just that they pilot much more perfectly than most human pilots, who generally don't understand how to get the most out of the particular plane they're in.

AI can see through clouds though, which is annoying.

'Make mine a Spitfire, Landlord!'

Thanks
    Moby m8 Oleg Maddox himself has admitted the AI don't obey flight models.

I shall never tire... BEANFro Elite's Avatar
    Thanks
    • BEANFro Elite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME Rev.3.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb RevoDrive 3 X2, 1x 1TB Maxter DiamondMax 11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATi HD5970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermater Cosmos Pure Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk
    i usually let the bots go up ahead and when they hav a bogee on their go in to help..

also the first missions as the sees you fighting against 109s which are as weak as breadsticks and balsa wood so once you are on their tail they shouldn't take more than a second of spray to catch their engine on fire

I shall never tire... BEANFro Elite's Avatar
    Thanks
    • BEANFro Elite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME Rev.3.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb RevoDrive 3 X2, 1x 1TB Maxter DiamondMax 11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATi HD5970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermater Cosmos Pure Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk
    this is a little off the topic but whenever you get the chance always pic a plane that on has its guns on the fuselage as you don't need to worry about convergence, and you have a steady enoguh hand you can concentrate your gunfire on a single part of the plane.

it's for this reason alone that the yak-3 is my favourite plane in il-2...

<mumbles to self, now if only there was a spitfire...>

adamspestcontrol.co.uk
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BEANFro Elite
    this is a little off the topic but whenever you get the chance always pic a plane that on has its guns on the fuselage as you don't need to worry about convergence, and you have a steady enoguh hand you can concentrate your gunfire on a single part of the plane.

it's for this reason alone that the yak-3 is my favourite plane in il-2...

<mumbles to self, now if only there was a spitfire...>

To a point thats correct however convergence isnt just wings in its also drop and if you have more than 1 gun in the nose (109s, LA5s etc) convergence will still come into play

Thanks
    plus it affects the range your reflector sight is set at....

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    blimey... it's a tad more complicated than I was expecting. The links are good but it will take me a while to soak up that much information. I am playing the original IL2 after finishing Operation Flashpoint just to see how the flight model could be done in Operation Flashpoint 2. Unlikely this will ever happen but I have seen it requested several times on the OFP2 forums so I though it worth a try.

What's the verdict with original IL2? Are the AI pilots just too 'perfect' or is there something more fundamentally wrong with the AI flight model. Are the AI pilots flying by the same rules or are they flying on some kind of pre-scripted 'rails'? Another thing I noticed is that my squadron seem to have the ability to pull away from me without loosing altitude when the enemy are initially encountered. I have the prop pitch on auto and the WEP / boost doesn't seem to help much... they just seem to have faster planes.

One last thing... after I installed the game I patched it to the latest version I started with the training / flight demonstrations. These are all out-of-sync for some reason and whilst demonstrating how to land the plane crashes into the ground yet the audio commentary continues oblivious to the fact that the plane is now a smoking wreck.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    re the training flights, yes they are borked once you patch the game... well known bug.. was never fixed. but at least the patch gives you the Stuka....

Thread Information