Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WoW Migration Mess

Thanks

WoW Migration Mess

Total mess sums up what has happened this week with the supposed migration of Bladefist and Daggerspine people to a new realm Outlands, my Guild Leader composed the following which he sent to various people at Blizzard and gaming sites.

World of Warcraft is arguably the most popular and doubtless the most profitable massively multiplayer game in history. So you'd be forgiven for thinking that the investment into technical and community support would be unsurpassed. Recent problems with the European server migrations however suggest otherwise.

Many of the 170 European servers ( source: http://www.wow-europe.com/en/serverstatus/ ) have been oversubscribed since launch, causing substantial queues to join the game, sometimes lasting up to an hour. Mismanagement of these issues, including the recommendation of full servers to new players and re-enabling character creation on oversubscribed servers has only compounded this problem.

As the leader of a guild on Bladefist, one of the original and most established servers, we have had over a year of problems that have finally taken their toll on our guild. Beyond the queues we’ve had frequent server instabilities where all or parts of the game world have crashed, sometimes for hours at a time. As a guild actively participating in the ‘end-game’ 40 person dungeons this poor performance can lead to whole evening events being cancelled or encounters becoming impossible to beat. The regularity of the disruption has been enough to drive many people from the game.

The answer to this problem has not been to upgrade the hardware of all the problematic servers, but instead offer migrations to new or low population servers. Our guild was previously much against fragmenting from our home and wider community, however with the most recently offered migrations decided enough was enough and voted to move. We weren’t alone in reaching this conclusion, indeed community research has shown over 50 large guilds across two servers are anticipating to move to the same brand new server with confirmed numbers of over 3000 people, probably closer to 5000 including guilds not submitting member counts and unguilded gamers ( source: http://outland-wow.blogspot.com/2006...migration.html ). A second migration involving two other servers was also scheduled for the same time.

On to the crux of the matter…

World of Warcraft migrations are scheduled to run Monday to Friday (excluding Wednesday, server maintenance day) and run from 3am to 3pm CEST, presumably as these are not peak gaming hours. A question posed to Blizzard community managers prior to migration on whether it would support all the 5000 people indicating a desire to move elicited a response that migration may be closed early after an unspecified number of people had moved ( source: http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thre...p=1#post965854 post 8 ). This lead to some panic amongst the community – if people didn’t migrate promptly we may be left with a situation where half a guild would be on the new server and half left on the old server, splitting up friendships and causing guilds to collapse.

On 12th April our migration scheduled for 17th was delayed 1 week due to technical problems. Come Monday 24th April our guild had convinced over half its active members to be awake ready to migrate at 3am CEST, many taking the Monday off work, to be sure that we could migrate successfully as a guild. At 3am the character move functionality on the website was still disabled. At 3.30am the pages were still disabled. A Blizzard community manager who had got up to check on the migration did post saying he was aware of the situation and it was being looked at. During the following hours several more posts were made by this community manager, all explaining the problem was being looked at, none giving any estimated fix time. Given the concern that we could miss migrating or have the guild split in two we stayed up, some all night, others grabbing a couple of hours sleep. It took until 9.30am for a decision to be made that migration was cancelled for Monday and would start again on Tuesday ( source: http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thre...p=1#post967620 ). It took several hundred replies and complaints to this update before it was edited to add an apology for the inconvenience we had been given.

Come 3am on Tuesday we again arranged for many of our guild to be awake, others intending to rise early to migrate before having to go to work. Shockingly, despite posted assurances that the migration would be working it was again unavailable, only this time there were no representatives from Blizzard corresponding with the community to offer any news or updates on the situation. Until a technical support employee spotted the forum complaints at 8am there had been no news for 5 hours, causing many to miss a second night of sleep ( source: http://blue.cardplace.com/cache/wow-...-en/970941.htm as original post deleted ). Those going to work before this update were largely panicked that they had missed the only opportunity to migrate with their guild if the website problems were resolved during the day.

At this point in time migration will probably now take place on Thursday 27th and may involve yet another sleepless night.

I personally find many aspects of this situation disgraceful, hence this email.

Firstly the fact that people who joined a server 14 months ago and have paid over £120 in ongoing subscriptions each are being forced to migrate by the mismanagement of server population levels.

Secondly that a migration could be launched to paying customers without adequate live environment testing to ensure the functionality works as advertised. Additionally that people were kept awake for over 6 hours with insubstantial information and false hope that it would be corrected.

Thirdly, and despite assurances that the problems were resolved, a second migration window was scheduled without any support staff on hand to monitor the situation or give feedback on the failures. Clearly insufficient testing was completed on the live systems prior to this rescheduling.

Fourthly the fact that Blizzard, who remember have forced us to migrate in the first place, prioritise the population levels of this new server above keeping the guilds that form the focus of this game intact ( source: http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thre...p=1#post967620 final paragraph ). This means that they pay no regard to the fact that guilds will be split up and friends separated.

In total the estimated 5000 people looking to migrate from just two of the four servers involved in this fiasco pay Blizzard £540,000 per year. With this money you would think they could invest in system improvements to make a seamless migration process. Allowing a guild leader to migrate the whole guild with opt-out functionality for all members would remove a significant headache. Allowing pre-registration for migration would give Blizzard indication of the numbers involved and allow behind the scenes overnight batch migrations, the success or failure of which would be largely unnoticed to their subscribers – certainly not requiring them to forgo sleeping simply to guarantee continuing to play a game with their friends.

The lack of professionalism in handling this issue, particularly in terms of poor testing, inadequate customer communications and in keeping thousands of people up all night for two consecutive nights under fear of missing the migration and being stuck on poor hardware without their friends really should not go undocumented.
    Just to update the Migration plan seems to change by the hour but is currently that Bladefist people ALONE will get the move to Outlands thursday and friday then Blizzard will see if there is room for Daggerspine people to move also with Migration then continuing next week. If there isnt roon Daggerspine will have the option of moving to another new realm. As you can probably guess the Daggerspine lot is not a happy lot....

Thanks
    Sure sounds like a massive (pardon the frence) ball ache =\

I know we all sit and slate Blizzard for being a bad company, all in all they aint to bad but this issue here seems to kinda prove that wrong

Ive personally never had a problem with Blizzard but I can tell that when we get the option the migrate from Darksorrow it seems that I wont have an easy time trying =\

Keep us updated if poss, Would like to know how this goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Noni
    What the hell does "WTH" mean

Barely posting since 2006 bertie's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bertie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Lenovo Y480
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3610QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR1600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT650M
      • PSU:
      • Lappy
      • Case:
      • NA
      • Operating System:
      • W7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405
      • Internet:
      • Australian awful net
    This begs the question:
    If it's SO bad, why are they still playing it?

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    People complain because they want to play wow without problems, Bad management of the environment doesn't make it a bad game...

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bertie
    This begs the question:
    If it's SO bad, why are they still playing it?
    Because they like the game, but hate Blizzard's constant mismanagement..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    What I find SOME people dont understand is that theres always going to be problems with such a MASSIVE game like this, you CANNOT iron out everything I mean look at EQ1... Theres still massive problems with this and its being around Several years now.

I agree with Stoo's comment though, Just because you dislike the people who make the game doesnt mean you are going to stop playing the game they make as its a good game.

Thanks
    Read people moan and winge about the current migration plans here
    http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thre...p=1#post973424

Blizzard have cocked up with this but to be fair to them whatever they will get a very vocal minority complaining and threaten to quit the game.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBuZZard
    Blizzard have cocked up with this but to be fair to them whatever they will get a very vocal minority complaining and threaten to quit the game.
    You get these people anywhere i feel sorry for Blizzard when they have to deal with people like that.

My favorite so far is "I pay for this game and they have downtime once a week, its a joke"

Well yea you clearly pay for the game but you are paying for a reason, If you didnt pay for the game then either 1) it wouldnt exist or 2) it would not have frequent updates/content changes (I.E Guild wars)

Is this to hard to understand?

and what is the problem with extended down time? so they need a little more time to make sure everything is fine for when all us addicts get back online to a "working" (ever so offen we do have mess ups but as ive said before this cannot be helped) game environment.

Dont get me wrong I aint no fan boy, I dont work for Blizzard and I dont think they are the best company out there, What im tryin to say is that they are a typical company and they run in to the typical problems which all of these companys suffer. I just dont see a point in half of the other peoples complains

(in the case which you posted above I fully agree that Blizz are in the wrong here)

Thanks
    The saga continues....
    Migration still not working, some managed to get across in early hours of last night other didnt, and now blizzard have closed migration again to try and fix it.
    http://forums-en.wow-europe.com/thre...p=1#post976485

Thanks

they should do some type of guild sign up on their web site =\ cant be to hard can it?

register guild, get guild to log in and sign up under guild name?

bah i duno, would have been easier that way imo

Thanks
    They have added a web form for guild leaders to sumbit a members list so people can be moved after. But guess what... Its currently broken!

Thanks
    They have added a web form for guild leaders to sumbit a members list so people can be moved after. But guess what... Its currently broken!
    Typical

but at least you guys are gettin this move now Darksorrow has become just as much a joke as any of the servers which have been up since launch, its only a few months older but now is just absolute pants =\

Cant wait for migration, even if it is as bad as this lol
    Last edited by Kaine (AoD); 27-04-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks
    Migration re-opened and I have moved! Goodbye Lagfist!

Thanks
    Migration re-opened and I have moved! Goodbye Lagfist!
    congrats hope your new server is nice ^ ^ and not going to be to overpopulated >.>

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL
    Well, I was hoping for a migration from Arathor to a realm where we can actually raid lag free, not so sure about it now :-/.

Arathor has been up since lauch and has the most characters of all EU servers (according to WarcraftRealms.com - not an acurate judge I know, but it surely means we're a big realm). Also, we are hugely imbalenced, with much more alliance than horde. So on horde side we get still get the lag from over-population but are without the bonuses of lots of players. I think our guild has trialed a large %age of players on the horde side and we often go through patches of having trouble filling raids because there are no more players to recruit.
    I don't mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out.

Thanks
    Still hoping aswell for a migration from Arathor, I think most horde are. Would be great if we could get rid of acouple of the horde guilds and then most of the alliance to balance things out.
    - Cantankerous -
    - GSV - MarlinsUK - TNGC -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information