Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prop Pitch

adamspestcontrol.co.uk
    Thanks
    Ok been doing prop pitch and finding in helps in a dive in Yak etc. Word of caution if you reducing it to 0% when going into dive then wack it all the way back to 100% when pulling out of dive something goes JUDDER BANG in the engine and you loose all power...This is particually bad when in a dogfight with an OKL person. However been a hero you land without damage in the field and the young OKL gets all carried away and strafes your arse forgetting as the host you cant Disco LOL He shall remain nameless as I think his CO kicked his arse and he was very sorry when it was pointed out to him..Love this game, something new I can use to break my plane

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    helps?

does it make ya go way faster, more quickly....like pulling away down hill in a higher gear than going up hill?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

adamspestcontrol.co.uk
    Thanks
    I find in the Yaks then when Im at the height I want I reduce to 80% then when diving reduce to 70% and kill throttle seems to put less starin on the engine and helps keep warp speed below tear your wings off. That been said when in a turn fight I ramp it up to 100%...Hat will tell you I was a bugger for blowing up Yak1s and so far Ive only killed the 1 engine

Thanks
    Ok

Prop pitch - 'll try a little more detailed explanation.

Prop pitch is the angle at which the blade cuts through the air, at 100% this angle is very shallow, the result is that there is little air resistance, the propellor is easier to turn and consequently the engine rpms rise.

Fine pitch, or 100% is like 1st gear in your car, ideal for take off, and ideal for landing, the propellor turns quickly and your RPMs are high, ideal for short term acceleration and getting you into the air. It is also ideal for climbing.

Problem with fine prop pitch is that it revs your engine, and can damage it by sending the RPMs too high, again, use the car analogy, if you were travelling at 60mph, and you changed into 1st gear, what would happen ? same applies to a plane, therefore as your speed increases, you can reduce the pitch of your blades, just like you would change to a higher gear in an accelerating car.

Similarly if you dive your plane you need either a) lower your prop pitch or b) cut throttle, or else the increased airflow is going to make that fast turning prop turn even faster and your RPMs will go off the scale - bang

100% prop pitch is also useful for slowing down, if you are having trouble slowing to land, try cutting your throttle and then 100% pitch, the blades of your propellor act like a huge air brake, slowing you down, you will then find that at 100% pitch you can use less throttle during landing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information