Thread: Andriod DSLR anyone?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Andriod DSLR anyone?

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/06/20/samsung-2/

This would be a very interesting move for the industry, I hope it takes off!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Spreadie

Re: Andriod DSLR anyone?

All ur photos are belong to Google?

Thanks

Also its not really a DSLR, its a mirrorless with a EVF.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Each to his own, I guess, but personally, absolutely not. I want my camera to take pictures, and really, that's all I want it to do. I certainly don't want to get email on it, manage my diary on it, play Angry Birds on it, or browse the web on it. And as for letting Google anywhere near my photos, no way in hell.

5. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (20-06-2013)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

So more crap on board to drain more battery life?? At this rate you will also need the internet and a google account(or some other company)to just use your camera too.

I hope the illness does not invade high end compacts and dSLRs. The only reason if anything for any wireless connectivity is to transmit pictures,but you would hit your mobile data cap very quickly. Even then it drains battery life and its not like taking pictures always happens in areas with high speed internet.

A simpler way than all the useless crap,is to simply add a BT module to the camera,and use your phone to do any wireless mucking around. Sorted.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 21-06-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks

Your missing the point, anything that allows me, in a supported manner, to get direct access to the sensor of the camera is a good thing.

Yes, I don't care for the fluff, auto-wifiupload might be useful, but thats as far as I go.

Think what you could do with timelapse stuff.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I don't want a flipping online account to use my camera. This is getting some sort of gimmicky illness FFS.

What happens when you are not a place which has reliable wireless internet?? You know the sort of place you want to do the timelapse?? At this rate if you want do a dump you will need to have a Google or some other companies account to sign into your toilet.

You don't sign in once after 24 hours and the camera goes offline.

Of course before then the battery probably will die anyway with wireless on. I would give it an hour or two.

The other aspect is if you are keeping the camera unattended for long periods,you cannot just plonk it on a tripod and walk off. What if it rains,or an animal knocks it over?? You would pretty much need a fully weatherproof setup,mounted properly and be able to get to it somehow. In the end it makes more sense to be near to your camera if you value it.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 21-06-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks

Look at the difference Magic Latern can do?

They've got highdef video on cameras which didn't support it. A miraid of useful options, hell just been able to fine tune and tweak focus behaviours could be really useful.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/06/20/samsung-2/

This would be a very interesting move for the industry, I hope it takes off!
    Could buy that off my companies expense and make some apps for it!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Look at the difference Magic Latern can do?

They've got highdef video on cameras which didn't support it. A miraid of useful options, hell just been able to fine tune and tweak focus behaviours could be really useful.
    Does that involve wirelessly connecting to a Google account to use the camera...emm....no??!!

Having Android on your phone has nothing to do with it and won't suddenly unlock features the camera company does not want you to have.

Its more likely they will CHARGE you extra for features which SHOULD have been there in the first place.

Want continous shooting..pay $5 dollars to unlock it. Want exposure compensation..pay $15 for it,etc.

I really hope they leave the gimmicks to cheapo cameras for the masses,and not start polluting the higher end ones with it.

The worst thing is that if you really want all that stuff like wireless control,it could be done via BT anyway with a smartphone. Problem solved and cheaper and simpler to boot.

Want to upload picture,send it via your phone. But most of the people wanting to do that 24/7 to FB and G+ are using phones anyway.

This getting close to the joke about the Russians using a pencil and the Americans spending millions to make a pen.

Edit!!

Also look at the average lifespan of a camera against a phone??

How many people are going to be bothered to flash their camera to the latest version of Android,Windows mobile,etc if the manufacturer stops supporting the camera??

Yay,lets tie in interchangeable lens camera bodies into the same 1 to 2 year lifecycles as phones,and more recently tablets.

Of course with every OS update and app update adding more bloat,expect your phone...sorry...camera to get slower and slower just like what happens with phones and tablets.

I am not going to spend decent money on a camera I might want to use for upto 5 or 6 years,for it to be rendered obsolete just because Google has moved onto Android 20,MS has moved onto Win14,etc,and the phone is not supported by any apps which need a newer OS,meaning half the functionality is now gimped.

I could flash it to an unofficial ROM,with all the lovely bugs which they might have. FFS,NO!

I bet camera companies would like that,and environmentalists would go potty.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 21-06-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I don't want a flipping online account to use my camera. This is getting some sort of gimmicky illness FFS.
    Android does not and has never needed you to have a Google account or any sort of online presence. You can use an Android device, out of the box, without ever 'Activating' it if you wish.

What happens when you are not a place which has reliable wireless internet?? You know the sort of place you want to do the timelapse?? At this rate if you want do a dump you will need to have a Google or some other companies account to sign into your toilet.

You don't sign in once after 24 hours and the camera goes offline.
    You've lost me here Cat. Where does it say that you need internet to use your camera? That's just not going to happen.

Of course before then the battery probably will die anyway with wireless on. I would give it an hour or two.
    All modern wireless chipsets are actually very low power and certainly will last longer than that unless you're doing something very unusual.
    What's wrong with toggling features on and off as they are needed anyway? I toggle my Wifi on my phone for security and battery - it's a single press.

Anyway, I really like this idea

Just imagine taking photos and video when out, to then come back, plug it into the TV and edit the images / footage with a keyboard and mouse. You could easily pack some very powerful image editing software on a system with that power.
    You could do everything from auto uploads, auto backups, sending the images to other devices through wifi / Bluetooth, tracking your camera if stolen with Prey (or similar), scripts to convert from RAW with certain settings / macro buttons, encrypted volumes....tons of stuff.
    Last edited by Agent; 21-06-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up

I think having wifi and the ability to directly upload stored pictures to other devices / online services is about all you really need but having android style apps on a camera that could add extra options could be really cool

Thanks

How many people are going to be bothered to flash their camera to the latest version of Android,Windows mobile,etc if the manufacturer stops supporting the camera??

I am not going to spend decent money on a camera I might want to use for upto 5 or 6 years,for it to be rendered obsolete just because Google has moved onto Android 20,MS has moved onto Win14,etc,and the phone is not supported by any apps which need a newer OS,meaning half the functionality is now gimped.

I could flash it to an unofficial ROM,with all the lovely bugs which they might have. FFS,NO!
    Cat....mate....you're crazy

So what if they stop supporting the camera? They do that now. Changing the OS doesn't alter the lifecycle of the camera inherently.

Why would you need to flash to the latest version of Android? There is just no need. You use what works - if that's the official release and there is only one of them, why would you move away from it? Even that release is going to have many more features than a standard camera.

Why would it be obsolete if Android 20 came out? Nothing changes on your device. It will still work fine and have every feature it was sold with originally....just like cameras now.

If anything it might just be adding more complexity / time than is needed for some people, but I just don't get the entire ' it becomes outdated' line?

Things like this defo have a place in the market IMO, but I don't think they're aimed at people who do photography as a living (yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Android does not and has never needed you to have a Google account or any sort of online presence. You can use an Android device, out of the box, without ever 'Activating' it if you wish.

You've lost me here Cat. Where does it say that you need internet to use your camera? That's just not going to happen.
    Of course it is going to happen. Its already happening all around us now and people years said ago it would never happen even 10 years ago.

Digital was a godsend to a number of camera companies(well not the poor ones),as it meant much shorter camera lifespans at the beginning. However,as people keep their digital cameras longer and longer now and the loss of the lower end camera markets,this will make sure they won't get too long,as it will be tied into phone and tablet cycles.

They are only testing the waters now,and as time progresses expect more and more creep.

All modern wireless chipsets are actually very low power and certainly will last longer than that unless you're doing something very unusual.
    What's wrong with toggling features on and off as they are needed anyway? I toggle my Wifi on my phone for security and battery - it's a single press.

Anyway, I really like this idea

Just imagine taking photos and video when out, to then come back, plug it into the TV and edit the images / footage with a keyboard and mouse. You could easily pack some very powerful image editing software on a system with that power.
    You could do everything from auto uploads, auto backups, sending the images to other devices through wifi / Bluetooth, tracking your camera if stolen with Prey (or similar), scripts to convert from RAW with certain settings / macro buttons, encrypted volumes....tons of stuff.
    If your shooting RAW,you need to have a workflow,ie, calibrated screen,etc.

If you are going to use your TV and a phone,you might as well just use jpg anyway!! Far easier and far less frustrating!!

The rest of it seems like feature creep,which could be done via your phone or even a tablet,and most of the world barely has decent mobile data connections,to be uploading gigabytes of wireless data in a day. In fact what you are describing is a tablet with a phone stuck on. It also means lower battery life.

How about more useful features being introduced into cameras and the lenses?? Things like better viewfinders for lower end cameras??

Putting more effort into making the rear LCDs daylight readable and actually representative of what your final image actually looks like(basically calibrated).

Making more lower end cameras and lenses nominally weather sealed??

It seems only Pentax really cares.

Cat....mate....you're crazy

So what if they stop supporting the camera? They do that now. Changing the OS doesn't alter the lifecycle of the camera inherently.

Why would you need to flash to the latest version of Android? There is just no need. You use what works - if that's the official release and there is only one of them, why would you move away from it? Even that release is going to have many more features than a standard camera.

Why would it be obsolete if Android 20 came out? Nothing changes on your device. It will still work fine and have every feature it was sold with originally....just like cameras now.

If anything it might just be adding more complexity / time than is needed for some people, but I just don't get the entire ' it becomes outdated' line?

Things like this defo have a place in the market IMO, but I don't think they're aimed at people who do photography as a living (yet).
    It will eventually be intrinsically linked with the online component,and as time progresses you will need to keep the device upto date so you can use it. It might even happen with things like later lenses too,which are made to work with newer OS version cameras. Of course second hand values for digital camera bodies are more likely to crater even further as a result. That is what going to happen I suspect.

This is all an attempt to push interchangeable lens cameras into the same sub 2 year upgrade cycles as phones.

This is going to be the new MP wars,with even more and more features/crap added to cameras.

RIP KISS,it was nice knowing you.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 21-06-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

You got to be joking me!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

*shrugs*

I've been using custom firmware on my canon powershot for years, it's fantastic - RAW output, way more functions, bracketing, motion detection, intervalometer, and the ability to write or import scripts. Absolutely love having that level of control over the camera.

Thread Information