Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HTPC PSU fan mod

Thanks

Re: HTPC PSU fan mod

I'm surprised some cheap PSUs manage to power their own fan!

Edit: Why did I post this?
    Last edited by watercooled; 26-05-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks

Re: HTPC PSU fan mod

Right, I should have updated this a week or so back when I received the fan, but here it is anyway.
    Basically, it's not much quieter than the current one; I'd assumed the Sanyo one would use some sort of fluid bearings but AFAICT it uses standard ball bearings so you get the same buzzing sound. However, given the same voltage, the Sanyo does seem to move more air, but even down to stall speed you can hear the bearing noise, not acceptable IMO. If anyone wants it for the cost of postage, PM me.

I'm not sure where I'll go with it now. Just to be sure, I switched on the PC with all other moving parts disconnected and it sounded about the same, the crap little fan makes a surprisingly full bodied sound! It's only the second noisiest part but I'll probably also swap out the 80mm roof exhaust for a Noctua but I'm stuck in regards of what to do with the PSU.

I have a few options now:
    1) Do as Golden Dragoon said and get the Dremel out and use a decent full-width fan.
    2) See if I could get away with running it passively
    3) Give up on the PSU and try to source a drop-in replacement (Be Quiet and Seasonic make some, but it would be a gamble, the fans could be even worse)
    4) As above but get a PicoPSU, my main concerns being cost/ripple/limited power
    5) Get a different case which accepts a full size ATX PSU, but that means more cost and I'm left with the problem of trying to find a decent PSU less than a million watts so it will run efficiently down at ~20w.
    Edit: 6) Bodge in a 1U PSU, I know they use a tiny fan but the one in my Microserver seems silent and you can get fanless ones...
    Last edited by watercooled; 26-05-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Thread Information