Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XFX PSU clicks as well

Thanks

Re: Corsair PSu Fan Noise/ RMA

The XFX website lists the 750W full modular as "black edition", but a 750W semi-modular as "XXX", so I don't think that there is any problem there.

Regarding the premium number, I looked at a site called saynoto0870, and searched for xfx under "search by company".

It gave a replacement for the premium number (0906 835 4400), namely this (01327 315750)

Edit: Wait, you said that you got the Semi-Modular? That is a tad confusing...
    Last edited by Zerox; 03-03-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks

Oh thanks! I forgot about that website

I have purchased a 750W XXX Semi Modular Silver PSU, which I have registered on the XFX website usign the code on the box( which matches the code on the unit)

THis is what the website says in regards to the oproduct I have registered :
    750W Power supply Black edition for UK (Edit)

Product Code: P1-750B-UKB9 - See more at: http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Suppo....aBcPqQ7x.dpuf
    Problems (ish)

1. It says Black edition, whereas I have the XXX edition.
    2. The product code there is for the bronze efficiency model, not the silver one I have.

Is this something to be worried about, or is ti just the result of a bad website?
    Last edited by Mehta23; 03-03-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks

Haha, quite unusual indeed

The product code that you have is the product code for the 750W silver efficiency semi-modular, so that is right.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&hl=en&ct=clnk

(the scan link was on google search, but when clicked came up 404?)

Still doesn't explain why it comes up as a black edition mind you.. I guess that as long as they have the correct product code, it shouldn't be a problem getting an rma if it ever comes to that.

Also you might want to edit out the serial number, seeing as it is really not needed.

Thanks

So all is well Thanks everyone for getting me to this stage Will probably have time to install it tomorrow/tuesday.

Thanks
    • D1DM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4000
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A10
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Home Premium 64bit

I don't know which XFX units you bought.
    But this one http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/P...750B-NLG9.aspx used to be called Black Edition. The name was changed so that the name 'Black Edition' could be used for their 80 PLUS Gold and Platinum units.

Thanks
    Yeah, I think that's the one I have.

Thanks

WOOP WOOP.

Finally managed to install the new PSU, and wow - the noise is so much less! I Right now, all I can hear now is the noise from the rear case fan (which I might replace with a corsair AF ) and the occasion rumble from the HDD. I never thought my PC could be so quiet! THANKS!

Any ideas on quieting the HDD without affecting things like cooling ?

Thanks
    • dacads's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D 7870 Black (Tahiti LE)
      • PSU:
      • XFX 550w
      • Case:
      • Casecom 6788
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Ultimate

Told you it would be quiet I was also impressed/surprised by the dramatic drop in decibels

As with HDD sound I'm not too bothered by it but you can try out the bungee mod

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18269719

Thanks
    Well the sound is quieter and also different. Instead of the ticking its now a sort of hum

The bungee mod looks pretty nice. Might have a go at it:-D where'd yaa get bungee cord from though?

Edit : actually, now it's more of a whir which I guess is just the fan. I heard pressing down on the fan and letting it slide a bit often helps? I tried it earlier, but I'll try again tomorrow maybe... Unless this can have a negative effect on anything :-$

Edit:Today I changed the fan profile in Fan Xpert and my god! My PC is so quiet now ! It's liek witch craft! Seriously, all I can hear are the case fans and I can slightly hear the PSU fan - still whirring, but it seems better today. I'll see after a bit of gaming
    Last edited by Mehta23; 06-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks

Re: XFX PSU clicks as well

The psu has began clicking as well :S When I get a chance, Ill try tasking it out and checking for anything weird, but unhappy that this one clicks as well

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Mehta23 View Post
    Edit : actually, now it's more of a whir which I guess is just the fan. I heard pressing down on the fan and letting it slide a bit often helps? I tried it earlier, but I'll try again tomorrow maybe... Unless this can have a negative effect on anything :-$
    Any kind of interfering with a fan in motion tends to damage the bearing. If the bearing is already damaged it might make it quiet for a short time, but it isn't going to fix anything.

Thanks

Oh right. I didn't know that. I've already pushed the fan and that has actually made a difference. I also found that when the psu is at an angle or with the fan facing up, the clicking stopped.

Thanks

Now, every few seconds I hear a short tick. I'm guessing this will gradually increase to the constant clicking I'm familiar with.

Anything else I can do to fix it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mehta23 View Post
    Now, every few seconds I hear a short tick. I'm guessing this will gradually increase to the constant clicking I'm familiar with.

Anything else I can do to fix it?
    You made a mistake replacing the TX750. First of all, there is no overkill with todays PSUs, they will simply supply the needed currents.
    If you take a look at PSU's efficiency, you will see that the best loads to be at are around 50%. So if you use 450W with a 500W PSU, the efficiency is much lower, and the PSU have to draw a lot more from the power outlet.

Another thing: Corsair had a glitch with the TX750 V3 (which is the new fanless models of the V2. You can make sure yours is the V3 easily- there will be no V2 on the box, or check the model, should be CP-9020042-UK or something like that). There was an issue with the first production line with the fan controller. There is a heat threshold and a load threshold, and when the load was very close to the threshold, the fan tried to spin, but the controller prevented it, and that is the ticking sound you heard. If you looked at the fan you could have easily see this happen.

When it comes to noise, its one of the quitest out there, and it rarely goes to high RPM's since it cools itself very effectively with lower RPM's (140mm fan...)

If you would have contacted Corsair they would have RMAd it to one from a newer production line.

Thanks

Yeah, I was told the clicking was the sound of the fan speeding up/slowing down slowly..
    An RMA would have costed me quite a bit of money, whereas swapping it for the Xfx was free, and gave me a few more percents of efficiency

Thread Information