Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice place, unless you are gay...

Thanks
    It would offend me.

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    i see your point rave, but from my experience a lot of that behaviour goes on

although thinking about it if someone didn't say "hey look at me, i'm gay"....how would i know?

i'm confusing myself now so think i'll shut up

as far as the B&B owner is concerned - my 2p - its his place so he can do as he pleases & admit or turn away anyone, for whatever reason he wishes. whether this is right or wrong isn't down to anyone to decide but him since its his business, his property & ultimately his decision. I agree he is being narrow minded but thats a separate discussion
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petrefax
    as far as the B&B owner is concerned - my 2p - its his place so he can do as he pleases & admit or turn away anyone, for whatever reason he wishes.
    What if he were turning people away because they were black or asian? How about if they were Jewish? I can imagine the newspaper responses and outrage if it were an Asian guesthouse owner in picturesque Scotland and he refused any whites.

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    The point I was trying to make, is that if gay men or women want to do anything sexual, or kissing, then I don't like it, so I'd prefer if they dont do it in front of me, in the same way I hate heterosexual people sucking each others faces off in town, or in the same way I hate people being drunk around me. It just makes me feel uncomfortable.

It has nothing to do with the people themselves, as I said, one of my best friends is gay, and he is just friends with his boyfriends when he's around me, so I have no problem with them whatsoever.
    Last edited by Alex; 03-07-2004 at 10:30 PM.

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras
    What if he were turning people away because they were black or asian? How about if they were Jewish? I can imagine the newspaper responses and outrage if it were an Asian guesthouse owner in picturesque Scotland and he refused any whites.

its still his place & he can still turn people away for whatever reason he fancies....i'm by no means saying i agree with this but its his place & he accepts / rejects who he wants
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks
    Some people are idiots, actually MOST people are idiots. Explains America in general really.

Thanks
    I also think the owner is entitled to turn away anyone he chooses, be it homosexuals, jews, or ginger-haired people. But I think that those amongst us who aren't bigots, should all take the same dim view of him for turning away any of these groups. Negative attitude towards homosexuals in this country is in my experience as socially unacceptable as racism. But to put this in perspective, in the US, there are groups who travel to the funerals of gay men in order to shout abuse at the families and wave signs like 'Gays burn in Hell'. There is no middle ground here. Either you have prejudice or you don't. Either you are OK with people living as they choose, or you write yourself a sign.

If a jewish person ran a B&B, I wouldn't expect bacon with my breakfast, but I wouldn't think twice about eating a ham sandwich in my room.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeePee
    If a jewish person ran a B&B, I wouldn't expect bacon with my breakfast, but I wouldn't think twice about eating a ham sandwich in my room.
    Thats one way to but it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD
    I dont know, when I was at school my best mate turned out to be gay. I think he only told me in the end to stop me trying to pair him up with girls. Trouble was he told more than just me, word got out & his last year of school was unbearable for him. With exam pressure, bullying etc he ended up taking his own life despite my best efforts. Kids can be so ignorant & evil.

I think though we, as a nation are much more accepting of homosexuality & I, like Rich haven't witnessed much descrimination towards gays. I do however think it's a regional thing. The further south you get, the more gay tolerant people (seem to me) to get.
    Oh, that is so horrible!! .
    Yeah indeed I know kids can be very evil, I had a friend who commited suicide just because of bullying etc.

Well, I must say that the article was very good and made me feel quite happy! I was expecting something a lot worse. I have friends being just a little bit homophobia, which I think it's a bit strange (with the society we have today), well..I don't think they're against it really it's just that they have a hard time seeing to guys kissing.
    I must say I think it's kinda cute..

Well, that must be because guys (friends between) doesn't have the same intimate relationship that two girls can chear, at least not what I've been seeing. I mean sure two guys could hug, but not a very intimate hug though, just a quick one and clapping on the back..etc.
    But as soon as two guys do more, it's being a very big deal..at least in my school.
    But two girls can hug, even kiss..that's not a big deal..

Hm, but I'm very glad do discover that article was so bright and that gay couples are more welcomed around the world, than I thought. Which is very good .

I have a gay friend, and as far as I know his friends are taking it very good of course he has been hearing some bad comments..but not more than a usual kid have to stand..and I'm proud of him I must say, that he found that out and that he told the people about it. (his only 15)..

So! Great article
    Last edited by Moonshade; 18-07-2004 at 10:58 AM.
    Love, Peace and Linux

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    In that same context tho, if that jew knew what you were up to (naughty, naughty), he'd probably (may not tho) feel violated.

Each person has their tolerance and intolerance of different issues, tho I do not in the slightest bit agree with his rules, it's basically his roof, and the owner of the house makes the rules. . . being guests (or not as the case is) you'd have to abide by the rules or you can lump it.

Most of my experiences with gays have been rather varied, one of my oldest mates (going back to when I was in HK) only told me last year he was gay (explained alot but kinda really confused me) - was a bit of a shocker he never told me considering how much he tells me stuff. On the other hand, Ive met outright gays who are raging homos (I tell them that to their face, not in a derogatory manner tho before anyone jumps down my neck), and I think it can be sometimes funny, other times plain annoying. Point is, you cant really stereotype a gay (just like stereotyping America *cough*guybrush*sneeze*) and everyone's a human being in the end.

I dont think Ive seen a case of discrimination of preferred-sexuality in Edinburgh, then again, I live in a sorta gay area. . . in general tho, most scots Ive met outside Edinburgh have been pretty easy going and quite liberal in their thoughts (glaswegians aside ) - tho Id say Scotland has more of a racist problem than gay-discriminants.

Thanks
    • no_numb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte ma770-ud3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom x6 1055t (95W)
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Kingston 1066 hyperx
      • Storage:
      • 2x40gb kingston ssds, 1tb Spinpoint f3, 320gb Samsung spinpoint f1 + 640gb seagate freeagent extreme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 4670 ultimate
      • PSU:
      • ocz stealthxtreme 400w
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 19", DGM 23" and lg 42ld490 42"
    some one i know is bi-sexual and he is also a vegetarian, he knows people would take a dim view of him kissing another guy or whatever but he knows people would probably say a lot less if he was kissing a girl surely this is gay descrimination, so say between a gay couple and a straight couple they should have equal rights to a room.
    To the point about a jewish b&b owner, my friend would not say a word if i was eating meat in his house because he (like i) believes that its all about personal preference, however if he did not want me to eat meat in his house then i wouldnt. therefore although i have sympathy for the couple, they have to abide by the rules of the house, not legally but because its the decent human thing to do. if it offends someone dont do it when it concerns them. but on the other side of this say you are in your garden while say a mother and children are outside, say something goes wrong with what your doing you feel like cursing, you could do it if u wanted to as its your property because it would offend the other people the argument goes both ways.....

so in conclusion the only thing i can say is there are both sides to this neither can really be the right one, although there could be personal moral answers to the subject

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information