Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensitive Thread

Thanks

Sensitive Thread

Okay, this thread relates to rape, which is of course a highly sensitive subject. Anyone who might be upset by a discussion of related subjects might not want to go any further.

I came across a story the other day, and despite obvious arguments that this is a positive development, it raised a number of question in my mind. I was wondering what all of you would make of this.

http://www.teencvs.org/news-SexualConsent.html

WITHDRAWAL OF SEXUAL CONSENT QUALIFIES AS RAPE, JUSTICES RULE
    Decision based on case in which a teen boy failed to stop despite girl's pleas

By Maura Dolan, Los Angeles Times

SAN FRANCISCO - A man may be convicted of rape if his sexual partner first consents but later changes her mind and asks him to stop, the California Supreme Court ruled Monday.

In a 6-1 decision, the justices said a man who continues sexual intercourse with a woman once she has retracted her consent can be charged with rape. The court ruled in a date-rape case involving teenagers at a party in El Dorado County.

"A withdrawal of consent effectively nullities any earlier consent and subjects the male to forcible rape charges if he persists in what has become nonconsensual intercourse," Justice Ming Chin wrote for the court.

The decision clears up conflicting definitions that state courts have grappled with in recent years. In 1985, an appellate court ruled that withdrawing consent during intercourse does not constitute rape, but in 2000, another California appellate court ruled that it did.

Supreme courts in at least five other states have ruled it is rape if a woman withdraws consent at any time and her partner does not stop. But women's advocates caution that because many rape cases, particularly ones in which the victim knows her offender, are so tough to prosecute, juries still will probably be faced with the difficult task of deciding whom to believe when it comes to consent.

Deputy Attorney General John McClean, who represented the prosecution, called the ruling a "common-sense decision."

"Kids and booze is a bad combination, and kids and booze and no parents around is a real bad combination," he said.

Douglas Beloof, a professor at Lewis & Clark Law School and the director of a national victims' right group, called Monday's ruling "modern and progressive."

"It means that a woman has complete choice over her sexual activity," said Beloof, director of the National Crime Victims Law Institute.

Justice Janice Rogers Brown agreed with the overall ruling but dissented on its application to the case. She contended that the victim did not clearly communicate her feelings, and the male did not use obvious force.

The court's decision stemmed from an incident in El Dorado County at a party in 2000. Laura T., 17, agreed to drive a friend, Juan to a party at the home of John Z. John's parents were not home. Laura was the only female present. The males, who were drinking beer, ranged in age from 16 to 21.

For a while, Laura spent time in a bedroom with Juan and John, who like her were under 18; they kissed her and partially disrobed her. At first, "she enjoyed the attention," according to the opinion. But she said that Juan then raped her. Juan eventually reached a plea agreement and admitted to sexual battery and unlawful sexual intercourse, a misdemeanor. He was part of Monday's case.

John, 17, also had sex with Laura and contended that it was consensual. Laura, however, said she tried to end the intercourse and told him three times that she needed to go home. "Just give me a minute," he replied, according to the opinion.

She said she told John he would not be "doing this" if he truly cared about her. She said he continued for about a minute and a half after her final protest.

A juvenile court found John had committed rape, and a Court of Appeals agreed. John appealed to the California Supreme Court.

"In the present case, he clearly was given ample time to withdraw but refused to do so despite Laura's resistance and objections," Chin wrote in people vs. John Z., S103427. The court observed that John continued the sex act for "at least four or five minutes after Laura first told him she had to go home."

Brown, in her dissent, said she agreed that "clear withdrawal of consent nullifies any earlier consent" and "forcible persistence" is rape. "A woman has an absolute right to say 'no' to an act of sexual intercourse," she wrote.

But she questioned if Laura's statement "clearly communicated her withdrawal of consent in what Brown described as "a sordid, distressing, sad little case." She noted that Laura had been openly affectionate with Juan during the evening and engaged in mutual kissing with John in a bedroom. Brown said Laura did not protest when the sexual act began and later admitted she had not "officially" told John she did not want sex.

Foster, John's lawyer, said John served several months at a youth facility for the rape. If John commits a felony as an adult, the rape could become a first-strike offense and substantially raise the amount of time he would have to serve foe the felony, she said.

Carol Foster a Sacramento attorney for the young man in the case, said she was disappointed with the decision because she believe that once the victim consented her client ceased in a "reasonable" amount of time.

"What does the law say is he to stop that split second?" she asked. I was looking for the court to go further in the definitions of these questions because I think they are going to come up in future cases."

???
    Last edited by Galant; 13-08-2004 at 06:59 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant
    Brown, in her dissent, said she agreed that "clear withdrawal of consent nullifies any earlier consent" and "forcible persistence" is rape. "A woman has an absolute right to say 'no' to an act of sexual intercourse," she wrote.

But she questioned if Laura's statement "clearly communicated her withdrawal of consent in what Brown described as "a sordid, distressing, sad little case." She noted that Laura had been openly affectionate with Juan during the evening and engaged in mutual kissing with John in a bedroom. Brown said Laura did not protest when the sexual act began and later admitted she had not "officially" told John she did not want sex.
    That sums the whole thing up from where I'm sitting, yes a woman should have the right to say stop at any point during intercourse even after consenting BUT from reading that it seems that in this case it wasn't well communicated at all, saying "I need to go home" would not, especially while under the influence constitute withdrawl of consent imo. If she'd said "No please don't this wasn't a very good idea" and then he'd not ceased then it would've been a clear cut case.

Thanks
    I agree with Knox.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    How could expressing a need to go home EVER be conceived as removing consent for intercourse?

John, 17, also had sex with Laura and contended that it was consensual. Laura, however, said she tried to end the intercourse and told him three times that she needed to go home. "Just give me a minute," he replied, according to the opinion.
    Shame the article doesn't give a quote from what she said becuase "I need to go home" is not a a retraction of consent, she could have wanted to hurry him up???

The article doesn't state anywhere that she physically tried to stop him either, so where did the sexual battery charge come from?

The unlawful sex charge makes sense (she was under 18).

Thanks
    Personally i know people who've been on both sides of this, a guy falsibly accused of rape, and a girl who claimed to have been raped (though she never pressed charges). I really dont know how the law can rule over many of these things, since many things said both in the heat of the moment, and under the influence can have multiple meanings. Whilst I agree that it is an absolutely horrific & abhorent act, i think that protection has to be given both ways, in order to stop false charges too & it leaves me in a quandry as to what can be done to clear such matters up.

In all honesty, situations like this one in particular are almost impossible for anyone to judge, since outside of the situation itself & the people themselves present, noone truely knows exactly what was going on, even if word for word transcriptions are given to the court. So much of it goes down to individual interpretation of the situation, and this can be twisted by either party after the event to make it seem like the true course events was different to how it actually was.

I'd be tempted to say that in this case i agree with knox & that side of opinion, but it's perfectly possible that the bloke did know exactly what she meant & that her tone & body language made that clear....on the other hand maybe not. It's a biatch of a situation really

Thanks
    Well one thing that got to me was the fact that they changed the definition of rape in this way. I don't want to lessen anyone's trauma, but I see a big difference between a girl who gets attacked in a carpark, and one who agrees to sleep with a guy then changes her mind - and a big problem with both men having to carry the same label of rapist.

EDIT:

Oh and what does this say about consent? For me it seems a bit silly to say that consent depends on a whim or something. I realise it's complicated, but to tell girls that consent means she can say/do what she likes, change her mind, and it's all okay seems a bit dangerous.

Looking at the nature of sexuality, particularly men's, she goes, gets a guy going, gives him consent, takes him almost all the way, and then changes her mind, and he has to turn himself off immediately, collect himself, and back away. It's an unreal situation.

Now I know this is one case, but in some ways it seems to be a general mesasage to girls everywhere allowing them to cast off or ignore responsibilities/consequences, when instead it is surely wiser to tell them to think hard before they give consent or make any such decisions.
    Last edited by Galant; 14-08-2004 at 01:17 AM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Well one thing that got to me was the fact that they changed the definition of rape in this way. I don't want to lessen anyone's trauma, but I see a big difference between a girl who gets attacked in a carpark, and one who agrees to sleep with a guy then changes her mind - and a big problem with both men having to carry the same label of rapist.

EDIT:

Oh and what does this say about consent? For me it seems a bit silly to say that consent depends on a whim or something. I realise it's complicated, but to tell girls that consent means she can say/do what she likes, change her mind, and it's all okay seems a bit dangerous.

Looking at the nature of sexuality, particularly men's, she goes, gets a guy going, gives him consent, takes him almost all the way, and then changes her mind, and he has to turn himself off immediately, collect himself, and back away. It's an unreal situation.

Now I know this is one case, but in some ways it seems to be a general mesasage to girls everywhere allowing them to cast off or ignore responsibilities/consequences, when instead it is surely wiser to tell them to think hard before they give consent or make any such decisions.
    I can see your point about the definition of rape but the definition taken by many countries law systems is something along the lines of "the unlawful carnal knowledge of a woman by a man, without her effective consent" This applys to both cases no matter how far apart they may be the only difference is that ravaging a woman in a car park is also sexual assault as your using force to obtain the sexual gratification.

Say you meet a woman in a bar and go back to her place, she's a bit drunk but she's seems sober enough to now what she's doing, halfway through she tells you to stop, she's withdrawn consent and you should stop or it is still technically rape Yes it may seem a dangerous idea to tell women that this is perfectly legal but imo it should be the way in which events like that are treated. If in the situation you do stop then there's no problem its just going to be an uncomfortable situation afterwards but if you carry on its the same as her not consenting in the first place.

Its of course always wiser to tell women that they shouldn't get into the situation to begin with but there are gonna be times where people change they're minds and the law needs to back them up on this.

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    One thing:

Only in America!

This isn't rape, surely not. He didn't force her and pin her down, she wanted to have sex with him to start off with and didn't clearly say 'No.'! What is happening to the justice system these days?

Thanks
    Completely off topic. Big Al did you use'd to play MOHAA by any chance?

Right carry on.....

Thanks
    I think the word 'Violation' adds some perspective to this. Be it a man or woman attacked in a car park or a man or woman forced to have sex by a date rapist, there is still an element of violation to it. The situation above sounds like the girl got bored and wanted to go home and play PS2 instead, and later felt guilty about it all.

Thanks
    I just don't think that's true- you make it sound like it's impossible for a man to stop once he's passed a certain point, and I just don't think that's true. If the woman clearly tells you to stop, you should stop no matter how much you don't want to. I think the problem in this case is that (as far as anyone can tell) the instruction to stop was not clear at all- it was vague.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    It wasn't an instruction to stop.

Thats the problem.

Thanks
    I dont think you can say that simply from a transcript of what was said...surely you can imagine a girl saying that in a way that means "stop NOW!"cant you?? certain intonations in certain situations give a clear meaning even if it isn't the litteral one. I'm not saying that this IS the case in this case (so to speak), but i dont see how it can be ruled out.
    If a man talks in a forest & there's no woman around....
    Is he STILL wrong?

Thanks
    Sorry but you would think in a situation where she thought she was being raped you would think she would say more than "I need to go home", like I said previously though its a shame the article doesn't quote what she says.

(ouuu just noticed 500 posts )

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    I had a good friend commit suicide cos he was falsely accused of rape and the situation would seem to have been similar to this one except that he was actually non-compis at the time through alcohol.
    This definitely seems like a dodgy case though, looks like she got in above her depth and decided to cut and run, is always a hard one to call on but any woman could put any man away like this by waiting until the "vinegar strokes", no bloke would stand a chance.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    the bloke in each case is different. The question is can a man know when he's not wanted.

I sure would...its clear and apparent the second it goes wrong. Only an animal carries on. You cant just say "gimme another minute" unless its a two way thing.

I totally admit that "I really must go home" is a set of useless words....imagine if at the same time she was twisting her body one way, and trying to cross her legs, or puishing him away. We dont KNOW how big the lad is, or how small she is. We dont even know if she was scared at the time.

For me, this one is a trouble. I dont wanna sound too femanist, and I am all too aware of how easily I could sound like a right ladies liberalist, BUT we have a difference in human nature called "compassion". In the bedroom, or where ever sexual intercourse took place, even when drunk, when you do it "together" not "singularly"

If one person isn't enjoying it, its a no goer for me. Wasting ya time. I'd be mortified and my feelings might even be hurt if someone changed her mind mid way, BUT I would stop. Why be with someone who was even vaguely uneasy.

My £0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thread Information