Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving Sperm

Thanks
    i personally wouldnt donate...

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    i did it about 12 years ago when i worked at a hospital - i was a poor student doing my sandwich year & getting paid for something i'd probably do anyway was a bonus.

weirdest thing was that the labs i worked in used to do some of the tests on samples (i worked in medical microbiology so a small portion of all samples was tested for bacterial infection) so during my time there some of my colleagues undoubtedly handled my donation

i'm sure at the time there wasn't the current issue over anonymity, although having said that i'd probably still do it. infertility is on the increase in the uk & is a heartbreaking scenario to find yourself in so if i thought i could help, (particularly with such a small & not unpleasant to perform gesture) then why not
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks
    Even though I'm a girl, I doesn't see it as a morality problem or anything like that. I mean it's a very nice thing to do, I mean by doing that you can help couples who can't have babies on their own. And for many couples, having a baby is something to look forward. Of course you have to handle the senario, never knowing if the pregnant woman next to you is caring your baby..but still you might be able to give a couple a very nice thing. I saw a film a couple of weeks ago and I dunno the title of it, but there was a pregnant woman who had slept with another guy besides her husband and she got pregnant. And in the episod that I saw she had her baby and her husband got very confused when the baby was black, since his wife wasn't black and nor him. But then after some thought he said "I'm going to love this baby with all my heart, just because he doesn't look like me, doesn't mean I have to give him up. He's just an innocent baby" I think that was a very nive thing to say (don't really know why I brought that up)...

but I have to agree if a guy would go throught with something like that the anonymity is VERY imoportant.

I can only say if they could guarantee the anonymity and I were a guy..I would do it.
    Love, Peace and Linux

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick
    I've done it , but I think it was for research rather than fertilty ( at least I hope so , one Moby is bad enough )
    It was at the hospital on the way back to the car park at uni - You got paid £20 expenses... I seem to remeber thinking at the time that I was probably going ot be doign it anyways , so why not get paid £20 notes
    So... a bloke in a car park gave you £20 to make a "donation"? Are you sure it was affiliated to the hospital at all?

Thanks
    Is it moral to share my man-paste? Hell yes, the more good-looking and intelligent people we have in this world the better!
    ASUS ROG G751 w. 980M

Richard Allen Evans mr_anderson187's Avatar
    Thanks
    obvoiusly these good looking people will lact modesty, ah well? oes anyone know the prices that you get for it (apart from moby dick gettin it off for 20 in the car park)
    Under Development...

Thanks
    I wouldn't, and I don't believe it should be allowed. *shakes his cane*
    What's wrong with adopting children? Not only are you then helping solve the world's overpopulation problem, but you're also giving a whole new future to someone who may not have had one. Personally, I cannot fathom what drives people to have children, apart from the part where they actually make them.

Thanks
    You cannot fathom what cause people to have children? Wow that is pretty bizarre. It is the most natural thing in the world to want a child that is sired by yourself and is of your blood. It is your legacy to the world, and while is perfectly possible to love an adopted child, I think that is a totally different ballgame to having your very own child. With pure blood relations come almost unbreakable bonds and ties, and this will always stir deeper emotions than someone who is not of your blood, it is just nature. I'm having a hard time explaining it here as i've had a few beers and thus finding it hard to put this into good wordage, but some of you must get what I mean.
    Last edited by Richdog; 03-09-2004 at 09:33 PM.
    ASUS ROG G751 w. 980M

Thanks
    Very nicely put *a big awwwww*! .. brought a tear to my eye.

/okay maybe I was lying about the tear and eye. . but was well written .. for a person whos had a bit too drink. lol

Toma_Hawk

[ iTomaHawk | My Music MySpace ]

Thanks
    Actually, no, I still don't agree. Just because someone is of your own blood line, doesn't necessarily mean you'll have stronger feelings for them than for someone outside your family. The only difference between the two is in your mind. That, and certain legacies are better not left. Hitler had parents too. Me, I have absolutely no desire to have children, thanks.

Thanks
    lol whatever your opinion, what I stated above is very true. While you're entitled to your opinion, I can can pretty much guarantee they do not represent the majority of people in the slightest. Throughout nature we see how blood bonds are stronger than any other relationship, it is 100% natural in all creatures, and i'm sure a lot of experts who know their stuff far better than me could tell you that with much better reasoning. If you asked 100 people on the street whether blood ties are stonger than than non-blood ties, 97% or so would say yes. It is what human society is based upon, blood is thicker than water and all that.
    Last edited by Richdog; 04-09-2004 at 03:33 PM.
    ASUS ROG G751 w. 980M

Thanks

Thumbs down

Back to the main subject...

I personally dont think that giving sperm should be allowed. Now, I havent been doing any research on giving sperm (im a girl) but what would happen if the women who had your baby died and they tried to locate you? Can they do that? Thats probably a stupid question but I dont know much about the situation. I couldnt imagine being a guy and knowing that somewhere some women has used your sperm to get pregnate with. Also knowing that you technically have a child out there with your genes and your personality. I guess if you a very desprite for cash, then do what you have to, but giving sperm just seems to be a crazy thing to do.
    YOUR SPERM=YOUR GENES
    (in a stranger?!!?)
    Last edited by *SpIcY hOt*; 07-09-2004 at 06:56 AM.

Thanks
    Nope, I agree m'dear, I would not be comfortable knowing I had a child of my blood/rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish out there in the slightest, it would haunt me I reckon. Thats just me though, i'm really looking forward to kids when i'm older.
    ASUS ROG G751 w. 980M

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by *SpIcY hOt*
    Back to the main subject...

I personally dont think that giving sperm should be allowed. Now, I havent been doing any research on giving sperm (im a girl) but what would happen if the women who had your baby died and they tried to locate you? Can they do that? Thats probably a stupid question but I dont know much about the situation. I couldnt imagine being a guy and knowing that somewhere some women has used your sperm to get pregnate with. Also knowing that you technically have a child out there with your genes and your personality. I guess if you a very desprite for cash, then do what you have to, but giving sperm just seems to be a crazy thing to do.
    YOUR SPERM=YOUR GENES
    (in a stranger?!!?)
    Maybe then we need to address the issue of who is allowed to receive a donation.

Should it be a single woman who fancies a kid without the hassle of dating a man (for whatever reason)?

A childless couple who can not have children? Should this childless couple have to prove that they can financially support a child (like adoption)?

Should they have to provide evidence of a support network if they were to die while the child is still dependent on them?

I think donation is a very nice thing to do. There are loads of people out there who whould be unable to have children if it weren't for donors. Why should the donors then be forced to look after a child, when they would not normally have had anything to do with them (and in most cases would not even know they existed), just because they were nice enough to donate some of their precious home made custard?

Thanks
    I fear that this thread is in danger of becoming a nature vs nurture debate...i presonally think that while a great deal of physical traits are passed on by genes, and that some personality traits appear to be, a lot of it comes down to how people are brought up and the examples which they are brought up with. Otherwise you negate free will and adopt the "selfish gene" mentality. As previously stated i dont think there's anything wrong with donor sperm, although i do agree that it should perhaps be regulated in a similar way to which adoption is (ie only to childless parents who are able to provide a stable home, but just not the sperm in the first place.
    If a man talks in a forest & there's no woman around....
    Is he STILL wrong?

Title Contender
    Thanks
    my first child was via IVF with my own sperm, but during the consultation process the Doctor told me that students tend to donate due to the fact £15 a time is good beer money for them.

The impact is that many do not realise that they could have as many as 5-10 children.

Thread Information