Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My planned new build

Thanks

My planned new build

Time for a new box, not least as I'm stuck in the UK due to the lock-down and my last build and usual i7 4790 machine is at home in France. I have the funds and time to take care on a new build.

Uses for this are office work, including database management, video conferencing and so forth. It will also be used for some Python, Java and SQL work. There will also be a little bit of game playing when the work day has finished, hence the GPU and monitor choice.

It needs to be portable so that I can take it home when the opportunity arises, thus not a tower, and wi-fi enabled as my current router is just too far away for a wired connection.

All has been specified on Scan.

Your observations would be gratefully received!

Thanks

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU
    Gigabyte X570 Aorous Elite Mobo
    16GB Corsair Vengance LXP Black RAM
    Gigabyte Aurous 500GB M.3 PCIe 4.0 SSD (O/S storage)
    Intel 660p 512GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 SSD (Data storage)
    1TB WD Green SATA 3.0 SSD (Archive storage)
    Power Cooler Radeon RX5700 GPU
    be quiet! White Pure Base 500 case
    Gigabyte GC-WB17330-1 PCIe wi-fi card
    Strike-X 1100w 80 Plus Gold Modular PSU
    AOC G2590PX 144Hz 1080p HD Monitor

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: My planned new build

can you push to the Aorus master? It's the board I wish I'd gone for.

do you need the wifi card? If you get the master it has built-in wifi6

check RAM QVL carefully and try and make sure it's samsung B-die or mircon E-die. Better to have a B-die at slower speed than a non b-die at high speed but which your mobo grumbles about syncing with.

re ram check if it is single rank or dual rank - single tends to perform better if you plan to OC the RAM.

save your money on the NVMe - no need for PCIe4 atm IMO. PCIe3 Nvme perfectly fine and gives you more money for other components. I would just go for Samsung 970plus or 980 plus (whatever the model is these days). That or a crucial MX500. Wouldn't bother with Intel NVMe personally.

You can drop the powersupply down to 750W easily. Really no need for 1100w. Get a good fully modular gold or platinum (even titanium) 750W supply and it will see you right. Make sure it has two mobo power connectors.

I would go IPS monitor and sacrifice the 144Hz, but that is just my preference for better colour reproduction and viewing angles etc. for 1080p IPS screens (if carefully chosen) still have good enough response times and screen lag. www.TFTcentral.co.uk do in-depth reviews where you can check it out in detail to make sure you're happy with all aspects of the screen.
    Last edited by ik9000; 07-05-2020 at 12:46 PM.

3. Received thanks from:

Helios451 (10-05-2020)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

A few websites have said the MSI X570 Tomahawk is excellent for thr price. Also avoid the Intel 660P and get a TLC drive such as the WD Blue SN550,or an Adata SX8200. A smaller PSU is fine - for one graphics card 600w~700w would be more than enough IMHO.Agreed with IK9000 regarding RAM....in fact most of what he suggested!

5. Received thanks from:

Helios451 (10-05-2020),ik9000 (08-05-2020)

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Helios451 View Post
    It needs to be portable so that I can take it home when the opportunity arises
    When I saw that you needed a 'portable' system, I assumed you'd go for an ITX system and a fairly small case...I guess everyone's idea of what's 'portable' is different

I've seen a few reviews of this case recently, & if I were looking to build a portable PC, this is what I'd be thinking about:

https://www.lian-li.com/pc-tu150

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

If the spinning rust is genuinely only used for archive storage you could save some cash and go for a spinning rust drive. For archive purposes the speed increase is rarely going to be of use.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

If you want a small ATX case I would look at the Riotoro CR1080.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
    When I saw that you needed a 'portable' system, I assumed you'd go for an ITX system and a fairly small case...I guess everyone's idea of what's 'portable' is different

I've seen a few reviews of this case recently, & if I were looking to build a portable PC, this is what I'd be thinking about:

https://www.lian-li.com/pc-tu150
    I would probably agree with what you said - that case has a handle too which is useful.

Thanks
    • Ciber's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X470 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group
      • Storage:
      • ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB + 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX960 Strix
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Snow Silent 650W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG329Q
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

3900x, X570 mobo and PCIE4 SSD are all massive overkill for the sort of tasks you mention. You can probably spend half that much and get all the power you need. It's worth working out exactly what features you need from your mobo before choosing.

In terms of RAM, do you intend to tweak it or just fit it, activate DOCP and leave it at that? If you are spending on a 3900x you probably should look to tweak the RAM to get the best out of the CPU. As mentioned it may be worth looking for RAm that's on the QVL list for the motherboard but I'm not altogether sure how valid that is.

Storage wise I would go for two ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 NVME drives instead of the three drives you've chosen.

The Lian Li TU150 case does look a great case for a powerful, portable system although I wouldn't want to work on it with my big hands!
    My blog

I used to play BF3, Battlefield BC2, BF4 and TF2

Do something amazing.... Give blood

Thanks

Thanks for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    can you push to the Aorus master? It's the board I wish I'd gone for.

do you need the wifi card? If you get the master it has built-in wifi6
    I've seen you shout out for this board on another thread and so have looked into it - solid, great VRM, future proofed, wi-fi, three M2 slots, lots of happy owners, and so with a bit of rejigging it'll make the additional cost just about okay - thanks!

check RAM QVL carefully and try and make sure it's samsung B-die or mircon E-die. Better to have a B-die at slower speed than a non b-die at high speed but which your mobo grumbles about syncing with.

re ram check if it is single rank or dual rank - single tends to perform better if you plan to OC the RAM.
    I've checked the QVL and it's okay. Also, the mobo manual is clear on A2 and B2 locations for dual rank on order to allow data double rate to be switched on.

save your money on the NVMe - no need for PCIe4 atm IMO. PCIe3 Nvme perfectly fine and gives you more money for other components. I would just go for Samsung 970plus or 980 plus (whatever the model is these days). That or a crucial MX500. Wouldn't bother with Intel NVMe personally.
    I'm keen to make the most of the CPU and the PCIe 4.0 for the SSD running the OSs, so will stick with that. I will, though, swap the inter SSG for the suggested Samsung and also ditch the WD for the time being to save money (I have a couple of 2TB WD Green HDDs which were sitting in my other rig - they were in a RAID 1 configuration but Windows managed to somehow de-RAID them, leaving them as two stand alone drives with identical data. I'll bring those in as my archive and reinstate the RAID 1 configuration.)

You can drop the powersupply down to 750W easily. Really no need for 1100w. Get a good fully modular gold or platinum (even titanium) 750W supply and it will see you right. Make sure it has two mobo power connectors.
    Good advice, have done!

I would go IPS monitor and sacrifice the 144Hz, but that is just my preference for better colour reproduction and viewing angles etc. for 1080p IPS screens (if carefully chosen) still have good enough response times and screen lag. www.TFTcentral.co.uk do in-depth reviews where you can check it out in detail to make sure you're happy with all aspects of the screen.
    I know this is the area with the most subjectivity, so more research here, methinks!

Thanks

With respect to the portability question, I looked and thought about an ITX build, and looked and thought again but just couldn't find a comfortable set up which didn't make me feel as if I'd skin my knuckles when building it or look like a microwave oven, while having a mobo which didn't have everything I want for now and the future.

Also, I simply adore the be quiet! case for its engineering, package and looks. It's also not too large (463mm tall) that I can't sling it in the boot when I can hit the road home again.

That said - that Lian Li TU150 is a lovely looking case too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciber View Post
    3900x, X570 mobo and PCIE4 SSD are all massive overkill for the sort of tasks you mention. You can probably spend half that much and get all the power you need. It's worth working out exactly what features you need from your mobo before choosing.
    Yes, you're quite right, however, I'm buying this through my company as the vast majority of use will be business orientated so will get tax relief against profits and the VAT set off too. So, I'm taking the opportunity to build something that will give as much future proofing as possible, with plenty of spare capacity

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Get the X570 as AMD basically said B450 is not going to get any more updates due to some lame,Intel-like reason.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

All the fancy SSD stuff, you would be better off getting 32GB of ram and a cheaper SSD. The fastest SSD is one that isn't touched as the data is already in ram. At that point I would ditch the Corsair Vengance, it seems that most of the 16GB sticks are V4.32 and those don't work well in Ryzen machines. If you can be absolutely sure they are a different version that's fine, but personally I have been very much put off the stuff. I tend to buy Ballistix as decent and good value.

A couple of points with SSDs, firstly as a rule the bigger an SSD is the faster it is. More flash chips means the controller can do more in parallel, has more space to move things around. A percentage of the drive will often be SLC cache for the TLC/QLC main flash, so a bigger drive means a larger cache size for bigger write buffering.

Second, the PCIe4 drives all seem a bit new and optimised for long file reads. The good PCIe3 ones are tuned for IOPs.

So I would want to get a decent sized PCIe3 drive, something like a recent Samsung, and keep your other SSD slots free. Maybe next gen get a PCIe4 boot drive.

15. Received thanks from:

Helios451 (10-05-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    All the fancy SSD stuff, you would be better off getting 32GB of ram and a cheaper SSD. The fastest SSD is one that isn't touched as the data is already in ram. At that point I would ditch the Corsair Vengance, it seems that most of the 16GB sticks are V4.32 and those don't work well in Ryzen machines. If you can be absolutely sure they are a different version that's fine, but personally I have been very much put off the stuff. I tend to buy Ballistix as decent and good value.

A couple of points with SSDs, firstly as a rule the bigger an SSD is the faster it is. More flash chips means the controller can do more in parallel, has more space to move things around. A percentage of the drive will often be SLC cache for the TLC/QLC main flash, so a bigger drive means a larger cache size for bigger write buffering.

Second, the PCIe4 drives all seem a bit new and optimised for long file reads. The good PCIe3 ones are tuned for IOPs.

So I would want to get a decent sized PCIe3 drive, something like a recent Samsung, and keep your other SSD slots free. Maybe next gen get a PCIe4 boot drive.
    Thanks, you who tangos with Unix, you have a good argument and you have taught me something about SSDs, too. Given my wish to future proof my build I will certainly consider this.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

One quick thing re single and dual rank ram: is to do with the number of chips on the ram stick and therefore how much addressing the ram module/memory controller has to do. Eg an 8gb single rank will use, say, 4no 2gb chips on one side of the ram stick only. A dual rank stick would use 8no 1gb chips with 4 on each side of the stick and the way it addresses data through the stick is different. Mixing types isn't a great idea even when the ram is placed in different channels on the mobo. It can lead to stability issues and boot problems etc.

Note dual rank chips is a different thing from dual channel ram mode on the motherboard.

18. Received thanks from:

Helios451 (10-05-2020)

Thanks

One quick thing re single and dual rank ram: is to do with the number of chips on the ram stick and therefore how much addressing the ram module/memory controller has to do. Eg an 8gb single rank will use, say, 4no 2gb chips on one side of the ram stick only. A dual rank stick would use 8no 1gb chips with 4 on each side of the stick and the way it addresses data through the stick is different. Mixing types isn't a great idea even when the ram is placed in different channels on the mobo. It can lead to stability issues and boot problems etc.

Note dual rank chips is a different thing from dual channel ram mode on the motherboard.
    Thanks - useful to know, and underlines why it's always better to use only one type of RAM, and not mix it up (we're not baking a cake here, after all!).

Thanks
    • Ciber's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X470 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group
      • Storage:
      • ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB + 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX960 Strix
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Snow Silent 650W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG329Q
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

Another thing to note is that RAM timings will make more difference to your system performance than the difference between PCIe4 drives and PCIe3.
    My blog

I used to play BF3, Battlefield BC2, BF4 and TF2

Do something amazing.... Give blood

Thread Information