Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want new cheap pc . please help

Thanks

Re: Want new cheap pc . please help

Anything on the 3000 series side of things would get you past the TPM issue, if you're looking at any sort of video editing then more RAM might be useful..
    Spec wise you arent a million miles away from what you want tbh, a bit of wisely spent money on 'used' parts could see you right easily enough...

Thanks

Depending on what you mean by "cheap" for a PC, thinking a bit laterally makes me wonder .... what about a Mini PC? It's quite surprising what spec you can get in (ex-Intel) NUC, or something like a Minisforum. IIRC, the NUC brand was taken over from Intel by Asus.

The downside will be limited upgradability, and you're getting 'laptop' spec components not desktop spec (in both CPU and GPU) but nonetheless, you can get a hell of a lot for a few hundred quid. Many of them come with Win 11 pre-installed. It might be worth looking around to see what you can find, if a "cheap PC" includes something at a few hundred quid.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Bit late to the party I know but looking at the mobo manual (page 37, if I found the right board) it says it has a TPM header on it so you could just get a TPM module to plug into it and that should make it up to standard for Win 11.

(Looks to be 14 pin so maybe something like this: Link)

I thought to check as we did the same thing on my wife's system as she was running a 1700X on an X470 board and that had a TPM module header on the mobo so I got her a TPM2.0 module for like £10 for it and boom, Win 11 ready.

If the cpu cores are still up to it just get a nice second hand gfx card for the system, memory and storage upgrades and it seems like it would last a few years more.
    Last edited by Kanoe; 04-03-2024 at 03:34 PM.

4. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (05-03-2024),Jonj1611 (04-03-2024)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    I thought to check as we did the same thing on my wife's system as she was running a 1700X on an X470 board and that had a TPM module header on the mobo so I got her a TPM2.0 module for like £10 for it and boom, Win 11 ready.
    Well that's a nice thing to know. Do you not get any warnings/grief from the CPU not being officially supported?

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX6800 16GB (XFX SWFT 319)
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

It will work fine with a TPM module, I would say the cost of selling the 2400g and buying a 3400g could be around a similar cost and a small upgrade, of course this does involve selling which is more effort.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Sadly your 2400G isn't on the Windows 11 compatibility list. Not sure why, but Microsoft don't seem to support Zen1 based CPUs with yours included. So first up, there should be a USB C port around the back of your PC. If you want something on the front, what do you need it for? There are cards and drive bay adaptors that might help with that. If that's OK, then you can keep your motherboard.

* Upgrade the BIOS

You need at least BIOS 7C02v3A.zip to support a more recent AMD APU, so best just put the latest on there. That will also sort out any fTPM compatibility issues the board may have had with Windows 11.

* Install a new CPU

I would suggest a 5600G https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-5...dp/B092L9GF5N/
    That would be a lot faster than your existing 2400G, and is on the compatibility lists for both your motherboard and Windows 11 while not being that expensive. There is also the 4600G if you want to go cheaper. That wouldn't be as fast as the 5600G, but still a step up from your existing CPU.

At that point, run the Microsoft PC checking app and see what it complains about. Hopefully you are done, but if nothing else a clean install of Windows 10 should at that point get you something that can upgrade to 11.
    just bought this from amazon and will let you know how it goes in a week or so ,thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information