Thread: Help Needed

Registered+
    Thanks

Help Needed

I've logged a call and tried ringing but it says all the lines are busy and to try later. I then saw that the lines are only open to 5.30 so I suppose that's why. Should I bother trying later?

When I boot the machine (Vista 64, i7 OC) I'm seeing a BIOS screen I've not seen before. I then see a load of stuff pertaining to Marvell RAID controllers I've also not seen before and get error messages saying disks cannot be found. I don't have a Raid config so this is understandable.

After a number of errors it loads the OS which then talks about having found new hardware. A RAID controller. It looks like the overclock has gone too.

I have tried looking in the BIOS, I haven't changed anything, but I can't see how to be sure which profile is being loaded.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Re: Help Needed

The support line is open until 5:30 - but if you've logged the details on the site, then one of the support team will be able to contact you tomorrow.

Registered+
    Thanks

Unfortunately I'll be 50 miles away from the machine. Have you considered extending the support hours to when a large proportion of your customers could actually use the service?

Never mind, I'll try whatever you recommend when I get home at 7 tomorrow. Might be an idea to sort that message out as well if there's no point in ringing back later which is what it says to do.

Registered+
    Thanks

No worries. I've figured out how to load the 3XS profile.

Now I just need to figure out how it reverted to its default ...

Registered+
    Thanks

this is simple to fix:

your BIOS got reset and you need to reload the profile that the machine was shipped with.

A bios of a modern motherboard will easily reset when you press the power button twice or shut down the machine improperly etc - they need a bit of TLC and you are back to normal. good luck.

To Scan Support Team: If you like to never hear these sort of issues again there may be a way - cook your own BIOS which will have as defaults the settings that are loaded into the profile that you are shipping the machine with. I used to be able to do that for VGA BIOS with nibitor i remember and never had to play with VGA overclocking software again.

This will be all lost of course with BIOS updates, but I guess who can do a BIOS update would know how to set up its own settings

Edit: glad you are back to normal now, my typing got distracted by something else

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 920@4.5Gig
      • Memory:
      • 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Intel 80 Gig SSD & 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silver Temjin 07 (Silverstone)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi Rufass

The Asus P6T has 2 profiles saved on an overclocked system, if you goto the Bios and Tools - Asus OC Profile

There are 2 Profiles saved in grey at the top of the list
    3XSStandard
    3XSOverclock

If the bios has reset the Raid controllers that have been turned off in our profiles are enabled and this is what is causing the hardware to be detected

Load Profile 1 for Standard Settings (Some games ie World of Warcraft dont like overclocked systems so you can use this profile for example)
    Load Profile 2 for the overclocked profile

Please let us know if you are still having issues

Ben

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ben @ Scan View Post
    Hi Rufass

The Asus P6T has 2 profiles saved on an overclocked system, if you goto the Bios and Tools - Asus OC Profile

There are 2 Profiles saved in grey at the top of the list
    3XSStandard
    3XSOverclock

If the bios has reset the Raid controllers that have been turned off in our profiles are enabled and this is what is causing the hardware to be detected

Load Profile 1 for Standard Settings (Some games ie World of Warcraft dont like overclocked systems so you can use this profile for example)
    Load Profile 2 for the overclocked profile

Please let us know if you are still having issues

Ben
    Thanks Ben.

Load profile ASUS P6T Deluxe

In case anyone else falls into the same trap, I'll just say what threw me. I knew more or less straightaway that I needed to get back to the 3XS Profiles I knew existed. I even knew they where they were in the BIOS settings (Tools I think) however that screen is slightly counter-intuitive. There's an option to load a profile, you select a profile and then nothing seems to happen. Looking back it seems obvious that I needed to save and exit and the BIOS would start the profile I'd selected (which I did eventually) but it's easy to believe that you haven't changed anything and to carry on looking through the options. Just select it, save and exit, the screen doesn't show anything to indicate you've successfully selected a profile to load but you have.

Really useful info about the un-overclocked (that a word?) profile. Does anyone know if the Sims 2 has known issues with O/Cing? I've tried running it in compatibility mode but the missus still says it crashes frequently. 'Who cares?' you might say and ordinarily I'd be inclined to agree but bear in mind that when she's happy playing that I can go to the pub. If the updated soundcard drivers don't improve things I shall try letting her play it with the normal profile and see if it improves then.

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 920@4.5Gig
      • Memory:
      • 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Intel 80 Gig SSD & 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silver Temjin 07 (Silverstone)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi Rufass

The way to check the profile is loaded is once you have loaded it goto the AI Tweaker section and make sure it is set to Manual for the overclock

The sims is not a game I have tried as its not my type of game, I would suggest emailing the games manufacturer as it may simply be a Vista issue and not down to the overclocking or the architecture of the new Core I7 Systems

Ben

Thread Information