Thread: Why is Channel Islands delivery so expensive?

Registered+
    Thanks

Angry Why is Channel Islands delivery so expensive?

Looking on the Internet Scan seem to be very competitive on price with dabs.com and they have the products I want to order available to pre-order but the delivery cost is to Channel Islands is something like £ 76!!

I phoned an order with Scan about 10 years ago and the delivery cost was £ 10 that was for a hard drive. Now its £ 76! dabs.com will only charge me £ 16 to deliver my order + they automatically deduct the VAT.

I`d like to place my order with scan today but won't pay £ 76 for delivery . This is very backwards as even ebuyer now charge only £ 15 surcharge for delivery to CI when it used to be £ 50 or something.

Scan are competitive on everything with the best supplier in the UK dabs IMO its just the delivery pricing to CI needs sorting out don't say its becuase you use City Link as City Link have a Internation Air Value service which wouldn't cost £ 76 to deliver to Channel Islands - dabs use Parcelforce which are a bit cheaper still admittedly but £ 76 is unreasonable IMO.

Thanks
    I will look into this for you...

Best Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I will look into this for you...

Best Regards
    It was £ 73 not £ 76 my bad. Its now gone up to £ 77! Did you look into it and decide £ 73 wasn't enough!!!

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet
    Well, I know at the company I work for we get charged about £17.00 for our carrier rates to the Channel Islands.

Heck, we send a 25Kg machine to Spain for £40, Scan needs to whine more at Citylink or switch (though admitedly not to Parceline which we use, PC's may never arrive intact )

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well I had a notebook from Savastore in January before they got taken over and it was delivered by Citylinks International Economy Service. They charged something like £ 22 for delivery it was definetely less then £ 25. So I see no reason why Scan should be asking £ 73 (now £ 77). I think a more reasonable price would be £ 25 even £ 38.50 is asking a bit too much but its better then £ 77!

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s
    Scan is pretty brilliant except it has been having run ins with its courier. By that I mean that the courier is the only thing that people whinge about. They probably use NI and the channel islands to subsidise all the hexus free uk mainland delivery guys lol.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Currently I doubt they get many orders if any from the Channel Islands not when it costs £ 73 (now £ 77) for delivery. It seems dabs.com is better catered to deal with Channel Islands customers as they only charge a £ 10 surcharge on every order. This quickly amounts to £ 14.50 or £ 16.00 when the standard delivery cost is added on top but is not too bad depending on what your ordering as the price is already low to start with.

Also dabs.com automatically deducts the VAT at the checkout stage of orders with a Channel Islands delivery address whereas if I deal with somewhere else I have to email them to ask them to refund the VAT after the order is placed like I would have to do with Scan.

I know a lot of people who deal with dabs.com from Jersey where I live becuase of they way they are setup to automatically deal with Channel Islands customers with regard to the VAT exemption and the delivery cost isn't too high.

For low value 2nd hand or single not so new items I find eBay sellers offer the best postage rates to Channel Islands as they often send things 1st class which costs very little and when I send something the other way it usually costs less then £ 5 by Royal Mail.

I looked at a lot of suppliers when speccing my new PC and I find scan to be the closest rivals to dabs.com on stock/pricing. I like the dabs.com website and the scan website is pretty good too. The others I looked at like ebuyer, komplett, aria, saverstore (the new savastore), ccl, misco etc etc just weren't as competitive and didn't have the product range.

Thanks
    Crikey, do you all complain this much?

Nah, it does seem a bit steep, it could be though that they just dont want dealings with the Islands and this is their way of putting you off ordering.

Thanks
    Another city link mocking thread......

You know it will just get closed.

Thanks
    I send parcels regularly through a company who are agents for all the big couriers. They offer a service to channel islands upto 30kg with £500 insurance for £21.

For a company like Scan who send out hundreds of orders a week, they could get better rates.

Nickp.
    ::NZXT Rogue Case + Scythe Kaze Maru 140mm Fans | Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller | NorthQ Siberian Tiger Liquid Cooling | Enermax Liberty 400W PSU | Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L | Intel C2Q Q9450 | 4GB Apogee GT PC2-8500 DDR2 | Gigabyte ATI Radeon 1GB HD4850 Passive | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 7 Home Premium | HP w2207 LCD | 1TB QNAP TS-119 Turbo NAS |
    ::Acer Aspire One Netbook + Carbon Fibre Skin | Intel Atom 1.6GHz | 1.5GB RAM | 8GB SSD | 16GB Class6 SDHC | Windows XP SP3 | 3 Mobile Broadband | 9 Cell Battery |
    ::HP Touchpad White | 1.5GHz | 64GB | webOS 3.2 |CyanogenMod 9 Android ICS |
    ::Shuttle SZ77R5 | Intel Core i5 3470s | 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD | 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA | Pioneer DVR-216DBK SATA | Win 8 Pro |

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    Can we leave this to the original poster and Scan please.

I don't want to see any more discussion on how Scan should de business with different people etc.

They have their systems and the proceedures, they can obviously look at them and see how things can be changed, but speaking like you know thier business and circumstances is not helping the real reason for this thread and the OP's original problem.

Matt.
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    To all

Channel Island carriage charges are due to refreshed shortly, we are awaiting confirmation from City Link as to what these charges will be and then I will update this thread accordingly

Best Regards

Thread Information