Thread: Buying advice for a Barebones system

Thanks

Buying advice for a Barebones system

Hey, i need a little advice, ive been thinking about building a small system to act as a NAS/fileserver/webserver. I've seen a couple of barebones systems that im interested in, but not sure about compatible products for them, so i hope you can help clear up my confusion. Im also looking to build it as cheap as possible, lol.

LN13983 - Biostar Ideq C1 VIA P4M800 LGA775 Barebone
    Has this got any cpu cooling with it or does that need to be got seperately?
    What intel CPU's will work with this? Specifically will LN15813 Intel Pentium D, 925, Socket 775, Presler Core, 2x3.0 GHz work with it? As it will be used for serving files etc the 2x2mb cache would seem like a good option.
    What memory is compatible? in the tech spec its down as 200mhz??

LN9992 - AOpen EZ-915T XC Cube, S775, i915
    Same sort of questions for this.

LN15641 - Shuttle SK22G2, AM2, VIA K8M890
    This is the last one ive been looking at, its more expensive than the other 2, any suggestions/opinions on what would be best to go for would be very much appreciated.

My plan is to get a CF to ide adaper and put a 2GB or 4GF CF card in it for the OS (probably FreeBSD) to leave the drives completely free for media.

Chris
    Last edited by DragonStar; 27-06-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    I know from previous experience that the AOpen EZ-915 has a very limited CPU support range and we do not have any of the processors that are listed to support that unit due to it's age. it only accepts the older range of processors such as the xx0 series. Please note this unit does not accept the newer processors with the naming xx1 due to their die shrinkage.

In regards to the Biostar Ideq C1 VIA system, this uses DDR memory and they've written it as 200 Mhz which in DDR is effectively 400 Mhz . As for CPU support for this unit, this can be seen at the link Here.

As for the shuttle - these generally are good systems and many people think the additional premium for the build quality and name is better than going for one of the others, but again it's really down to personal preference. if your looking to build it from scratch then DDR2 is cheaper than DDR1 memory so this might have an overall effect on the final price as well as the AM2 series going quite cheap now.

I hope this information helps.

Best Regards,

Thanks
    Hi Lee,

Thanks for the response, its helped a little, the Aopen is definately off, lol.
    I'm still a little confused about the CPU issue though, its been so long since ive bought an intel chip, the compatibility from that link u gave me states P4M80-M7 1.0 P4M800 Socket 775 Pentium 4 3.6GHz Celeron D 3.06GHz. Does a Pentium D count as a pentium 4? or is it completely different? Because ideally id go with the biostar with the LN15813 Intel Pentium D, 925, Socket 775, Presler Core, 2x3.0 GHz because DDR1 would be a cheaper option for me as i have 4 x 1GB matched pair OCZ Platinum DDR-400 sitting in a gaming machine i never use anymore. But if it only supports single core pentium 4's i'll have to keep looking i guess =/

Chris
    Last edited by DragonStar; 27-06-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks
    Ok from what i can gather, the Pentium D wont work, but thinking about it, the single core P4 3ghz 2meg cache should be more than ample for what i need and its about £10 cheaper

Thread Information