Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large purchase, bank phone call follows - coincidence?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Large purchase, scam phone call follows - coincidence?

The banks systems are good these days, the only problem is they block your card then try to call you and if your then out shopping while they are trying to ring you, the looks you get at a supermarket checkout when your card declines is rather embarrassing and i am talking from experience.

Wesley

Registered+
    Thanks

I've had this happen a few times from MBNA myself when i suddenly made a purchase of a new PC.
    It seems odd that Abbey claim to never do something which apparently they do so there's something they need to sort out there.

Earlier this year i was the victim of fraud using my current account debit card, in 3 transactions spanning 14mins i was cleared out and left £500 overdrawn 2 days after payday. My bank didn't bat an eyelid, the first i knew was when my card got refused (i don't check my online banking daily) and i had no idea why.

Given the choice of a transaction being refused and getting a phone call to confirm it vs getting stung, i know which i prefer....

Thanks
    • tehguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5N32-SLI Plus
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800 SLI certified
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 320mb Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthXStream 600W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell E228WFP
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media XL 20Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Mathonar View Post
    Given the choice of a transaction being refused and getting a phone call to confirm it vs getting stung, i know which i prefer....
    Me too.

Thanks

I've had this happen a few times from MBNA myself when i suddenly made a purchase of a new PC.
    It seems odd that Abbey claim to never do something which apparently they do so there's something they need to sort out there.

Earlier this year i was the victim of fraud using my current account debit card, in 3 transactions spanning 14mins i was cleared out and left £500 overdrawn 2 days after payday. My bank didn't bat an eyelid, the first i knew was when my card got refused (i don't check my online banking daily) and i had no idea why.

That's really rough. Did you manage to get it back and how long did it take if you did?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabbid View Post
    That's really rough. Did you manage to get it back and how long did it take if you did?
    Yes i got it all back, they gave me a temp overdraft to cover how overdrawn i was but you have to sign and return docs to their fraud team so it was about 2 weeks before i got the money back. The good thing is they backdate the money when they give it you so it appears as if it went in the same day it went out so i didn't lose any interest.

Unfortunately it's not the first time i've been done but it is the worst. Last time my card was supposedly used in south america and even after the card was cancelled money continued to be taken out on it. That resulted in my account being closed and a new one opened which makes even more of a pain going through the whole changing DDs. That was in the days when they still made you go to the police to report it as well.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Re: Large purchase, bank phone call follows - coincidence?

Egg card often do similar when I order from USA.

What bugs me is that they want ME to authorise to them,
    (i.e. give out my security info)
    when they have called me (from a witheld number).

So I could easily be giving out all my security details to anyone if I went through twith that.

I always just hang up and ring the customer services number myself - then you know who you are talking to.

Thanks
    • Great Eastern's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2x80Gb Sata
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT
      • PSU:
      • Akasa 400w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake V3 Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 17" TFT
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet

Yes i got it all back, they gave me a temp overdraft to cover how overdrawn i was but you have to sign and return docs to their fraud team so it was about 2 weeks before i got the money back.
    Things must have changed then, someone thieved £330 from my Debit Card in 2005 on some American site selling things like Winroute, DNS2Go etc.

The bank (Abbey National) refunded the money instantly after I called them - although I had to fill in the fraud forms.

Since then I've changed the way I purchase online - I don't have a credit card (don't want one) so have setup a 2nd back account with another bank and use that for online transitions and only put money in when necessary (plus keep £50-£100) in there for minor transactions etc.
    Would never use my main bank account's debit card online now because of the risk it opens you up to, especially with Direct Debits failing etc if the account is cleared

Thanks
    • pipTheGeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 3 * 2Gb Corsair XMS @ DDR3 1800
      • Storage:
      • 300GB 15K SAS + 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX570
      • PSU:
      • corsair 760i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Alienware 23"
      • Internet:
      • VM 50Mb

Quote Originally Posted by tocbg View Post
    I suppose it is a bit "Big Brother" but I would prefer this to no one looking out for me and having my account compromised.
    I put up with this system because it is generally not very intrusive, I haven't had anything queried in the last 10 years or so. Before that it was a work hotel bill in London.
    However, I would prefer the bank to invent some secure means of paying on-line, or just cover the loses. After all, they are meant to be looking after my money for me.

I expect the airline staff who featured on Watchdog becuase everytime they tried to use their card abroad it got declined might think this system is a bit of a waste of time.

Would never use my main bank account's debit card online now because of the risk it opens you up to, especially with Direct Debits failing etc if the account is cleared
    As soon as you use your card you are opening ourself to this risk. Shopping on line is not necessarily any less secure. The cashpoint at a supermarket near my work has had card skimming devices fitted to it twice in a year now.

Thanks

Re: Large purchase, bank phone call follows - coincidence?

I'd be much happier if the automated lines ran 24hrs a day, (HSBC are 24hrs, Natwest are not) and I've had my cards blocked twice overnight in the UK - once at 1pm in NZ, and at 4pm in LA (on Xmas day no less!)
    Luckily I tend to do most of my online shopping while I'm in the office!

Thanks

Yes i got it all back, they gave me a temp overdraft to cover how overdrawn i was but you have to sign and return docs to their fraud team so it was about 2 weeks before i got the money back. The good thing is they backdate the money when they give it you so it appears as if it went in the same day it went out so i didn't lose any interest.

Unfortunately it's not the first time i've been done but it is the worst. Last time my card was supposedly used in south america and even after the card was cancelled money continued to be taken out on it. That resulted in my account being closed and a new one opened which makes even more of a pain going through the whole changing DDs. That was in the days when they still made you go to the police to report it as well.
    Pretty good but probably nailbiting time!

That's really bad to happen twice, was it same bank + another account or different bank?
    Any idea what sites could have abused your details or could they (fraudsters) have gotten them another way?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information