Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Asus notebook, no help from retailer :(

Thanks

Unhappy Broken Asus notebook, no help from retailer :(

Hi all,

my flatmate bought a shiny new Asus A6V notebook from a *leading* Tottenham Court Road retailer a couple of weeks ago and we've had nothing but problems.

It started maybe 7 days after purchase. She was playing Civilisation 4 and it locked up. From that time on, it locked up at random intervals (always withing 30 mins) during play!

The next day, it was worse... it would crash in less intensive games.

I spent some time running Prime and Memtest on it and it appeared to be a RAM problem (memtest failed it its first run, 30% in... machine just locked up). We had had them upgrade the machine from 512-1Gig of Ram before leaving the store so that part of the notebook had been touched.

So, day 10, she takes the notebook back to the retailer. They kindly listened, swapped out the RAM and ran it for the afternoon.

It seemed ok upon return until the first time she tried to play Civilisation 4 again. Suddenly it locked up again! We dig out the memtest disk and try to do a test and it fails in much the same place only this time, the machine doesn't restart. In fact, it doesn't even post anymore!

We tried leaving it unplugged for an hour (with the battery removed) etc and it just doesn't post. You turn the machine on, the fan starts, disk light comes on but no screen and no action!

She called the store 2 days later and they said to call Asus or bring it in and they would handle the warrenty claim. Unfortunately, when we brought it in, we were told that they would charge us for this service! When we asked for a replacement notebook they declined.

Unfortunately, we don't know the consumer laws in the UK so we don't know whether we can push the store for an instant replacement being that they did the memory upgrade and it failed within a very short period of time.

What should we do? What are our rights in this scenario? We deliberately bought from a high st shop thinking we'd get better service/backup but it hasn't worked out that way

Registered+
    Thanks
    what store was it?
    did you get a receipt... are the terms stated on there?

this link might help you: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0054-1111.txt

Thanks
    Say to them that you are going to go to trading standards because the laptop has never worked correctly. If you have receipts and can detail the problems then the shop will either have to get it sorted ASAP, get a replacement or refund you your money.

I shoudl warn you before hand tht i have dealt with asus laptop repairs and their service was downright disgraceful. It may have been an isolated incident becuase a lot of people rave about their hardware but there were 3 faults within 3 months since purchase and all 3 took more than 2 weeks to fix.

Thanks
    Following on from what loki said..

I've just had my first experience of contacing Asus and the supplier of my laptop (AJP) regards to an issue with my battery (known fault on the Z71v/Z7100 series) - Asus told me to contact AJP so (a few months later) I did (just now ), gave my serial number, was given a return number to write on the box and will post it ASAP. A faultless experience so far!

Thanks
    Take it back, ask for a refund.
    They are required to by Law. There isnt even any "middle ground" here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    you should be able to get a complete refund on the basis that the quality of the goods were not to standard at the time of sale. It is unreasonable for a new computer to fail like that within that period of time. This avoids the complex issue of warrenties and guarenttees. You can get all of your money back without any "charges".

They attempted to fix the problem the first time, but it still did not resolve the issue. If i were you i would take it back and get the money, buy a computer from elsewhere

merlin2001
    a very good rule of thumb is also to always buy on your credit card if the amount is significant or if you don't know the retailer well (just be sure to clear the balance before the interest free period finishes). credit cards offer extra protection when making purchases as they are part of the contract when you make the purchase. the credit card companies insure themselves against these losses, plus they have a lot more legal muscle when dealing with the retailer.

Thanks
    The local trading standards people will help you. I can't remember the specifics but statutory consumer lay means that if a product is faulty within a month of purchase, they are obliged to either give you a refund or give you a new unit. If you return a faulty device to the shop (not manufacturer) up to 6 months from when you purchased it you can claim a full refund. These are statutory rights so it doesn't matter what the shop shop policy is. The stuff they say is to dissuade people from using their rights. The law is on your side.

But in dealing with your particular problem, I would have suspected that they didn't set the memory timings correctly in the bios when they switched over the RAM. However now you say you have a dead unit so I'm at a loss.

Thanks

ASUS A6KM stop working

hello chaps i am new to this forum but would like to let people know that i have a 6 week old asus laptop and it too has stopped working.

firstly, the laptop generated a lot of heat and is very uncomfortable when in my lap i think this cannot be normal.

secondly the computer has stopped working altogether now, it has a blank 15" screen and will not POST.

i tried the recovery discs that came with the computer but they do not recover the system either. I feel totally demoralised having lost some data and now having a machine which is only a few weeks old not fit for purpose what so ever. it definetly cannot be used on my lap and has no use as a computer at the moment.

I believe ASUS was probably not a good choice and how should i approach the supplier what are my rights can i get a full refund because i have no confidence in this computer ?

thanks

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1
    I would take the laptop back and demand a full refund as the item sold is not fit for the purpose it was sold. You should also get trading standards involved if they refuse to co-operate.

THIS site should help.
    In particular THIS page should be useful.

From knowledge I'd say more than half the electronic dealers on TCR are dodgy.
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

Thanks
    Lol 2 minutes ago I rang where I got my asus laptop from because it's graphics card is going wrong.

Had this under 28 days and the retailer says he wont replace it unless its 7.

So it's off to asus for a repair *groan* ridiculous, don't expect it to happen under a month old.

Thanks
    Tell supplier you are rejecting the laptop as unfit for the purpose - and say you demand a full refund.

I don't have link handy but you can download the claim forms for the small claims court - where you sue the retailer its cheap and you will win if what you say is correct (timescale) . Only possible problem is the RAM replacement could be construed as accepting a repair (so by law you may have to accept a repair again - so its essential you see trading standards asap.

TCR dealers are the vermin of the pc mrket - no morals and as dodgy as they come.

My advice would be to go in on a saturday afternoon - take laptop to counter and argue there for a refund - do not allow them to ask you to discuss it elsewhere (office - quiet corner) and make sure you have at least one witness accompanying you.. Find the small claims forms (use google) download and print them - show them to the people in shop when you ask for refund.

The local trading standards probably have a massive file dedicated to these dodgy dealers.

Alhough I now live a long way away I used to look down TCR every few months. Excellent for looking at stuff - but never ever bought anything there - came close once - but the look on the salesmans face when I said I'd get a full refund if it proved unfit for the purpose! was enough to make me change my mind.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband
    If you've had it for less than 28 days they have to replace or give you a refund, just take it in there and make your feelings known. Where I work if we had a laptop came in like that abd that sort of age it would have been replaced straight away, no arguing, no fuss.

Thanks
    Nope, they really won't budge. Ringing ringring ringing, always get through to the same rude guy that insists ONLY in 7 days.

Argggggggh, never again.

Thanks
    then for heavens sake contact trading standards - download small claim forms - fill them in and send them to them ..

Name and shame IMHO

Thanks
    how much was the laptop monkeybum?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information