Thread: Headlines - Windows UX Taskforce highlights Vista's problems

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Headlines - Windows UX Taskforce highlights Vista's problems

Microsoft enthusiast, Long Zheng, has created a Windows UX Taskforce to help Microsoft identify the quirks in Windows Vista - but will the Redmond giant be listening?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Headlines - Windows UX Taskforce makes Microsoft aware of Vista's problems

Good idea hopefully Microsoft do take notice especialy of the problems with lots of feedback.

Thanks

Re: Headlines - Windows UX Taskforce highlights Vista's problems

There's a lot of problems highlighted with a good amount of detail. Here's two of my favs:

Problem: Every application that ships with Windows Vista starts with “Windows” like Windows Photo Gallery and so on (except for the old ones like Paint or Notepad). If you open enough of them, the taskbar shows a lot of “Windows…” titles. I have counted (more...)

Solution: If that works on Mac OS X why not on Vista? Hide the term "Windows" on the taskbar buttons or rename the new applications. There is nothing wrong with simple names like "Paint" or "Notepad".
    Problem: When explorer dies, the taskbar returns with apps in a different order than they were originally.

Solution: 1. Remember the order (save them maybe every minute?) and restore if explorer is restarted.

2. Allow the user to re-order them.

It seems silly that we should have to install extra software to do the reordering.
    Apparantly MS is listening to the feedback too, an anonymouse MS poster had this to say:

"… Just know that this website HAS gained attention in the WEX org, bugs are being filed as new suggestions are posted, and many are even being FIXED for beta. I’ve been surprised at how many good, detailed bugs have been found; even features I own had bugs from Vista I wasn’t aware of. Keep submitting posts everyone! Screenshots are really helpful too. There are “real” ways MS takes customer feedback, including newsgroups and MVP forums, but this is one of the few “everyday user” sites I’ve seen that is really simple and straightforward. Great work, Long!"

There's no way of knowing if the comment is authentic, but here's hoping MS is making note.

Thread Information